Starting Out W/ A Par 5

I don't really have a strong preference for par 4 or 5 to open, but I definitely prefer a hole that is a little more open so you can ease into the round. I don't like demanding first holes.

I dont mind a Par 5 to start with, depending on how it sets up. The one on Waterlefe is a tough task, especially considering the following par 4 is a dog of a hole as well and you dont want to give away multiple strokes away to open the round.

Regardless, play it safe and keep it reasonable, best way to attack it, IMO.

I love a good par 5 to start the round. A bit of leeway in terms of how you can play it usually. A bit of margin-for-error.

As long as it's not a par 3 I'm golden

My home course starts both nines with a par 5 and I like the set up....but if my warm up wasn't good and I'm not comfortable it could be a big number out of the gate, bc there is trouble on both sides on my home course's first hole...

Dax

My home course starts out with a par 5 too. Its an "S" shaped layout so you can cut the corners. I don't mind it b/c it's reachable in two with a good drive and 3W for second shot. Nice to have the option to go easy on the first drive of the day knowing you have 2 more easy shots to reach the green for par.

Starting Par 5's are good. I generally like starting holes that offers the player an option off the tee box. You could hit driver or go with a long iron/hybrid in order to minimize risk.

One of the courses around me starts with a par 5. I like being able to have room to make a bad shot or two and still make a OK score to start the round. Same course ends with a par 5 also, which I also like too.

i prefer to start with a par 4 than par 5 since if the 5 come later i am into the round a bit and more relaxed so i have a better shot at birdie but would much rather start with a par 5 than par 3

I prefer a par 5 to get off and running. A little less tension off the box and the forgiveness to scramble a little easier if needed.

I love starting with a par 5, it's gives you that added stroke to start your round!

Starting out on a par 5 can give you room to recover from a bad tee shot, but having a long hole to start off the round can lead to big numbers and slow play from the get-go for many amateurs. One of the main courses that I play starts out with a hard par 5, then a short par 4, then a short par 3. The pace of play on those 3 holes is brutal because it takes so long for a lot of people to play the first hole, then groups can't spread out on the par 4 or par 3.

I don't mind par 5's to start with. But I don't mind par 3's either. Every hole has to be played. I can understand why people have opinions about the opening hole, but I'm not too picky about it.

My home course starts as a par 5. Definitely my favorite to start on. I always feel like a par 5 gives me a little more room for error. I hate starting off with a par 3 or any hole that requires me to start with an iron.

I love starting with a par 5. You don't need your best tee shot in order to start the round with a par.

Our league plays at a course with a par 5 as the first hole. It is a double dogleg, so from our "senior" tees you need to hit your drive about ~165 yards, your second about ~175, and the third shot around ~120 yards. Kind of tight with OOB all along the right side, and woods on the left. I'd rather play a straight forward par 5, but it is what it is.

My home course starts with a par 5 that's reachable with a really good drive, but if you don't get that perfect drive it's a pretty easy layup to get to 125 and have a nice PW into a large green....its always a good hole to get things started with a par or maybe a birdie.

I like starting on a par 5 if it is of moderate length where I don't have to hit a FW for the second shot. I like to be a little more in the groove before having to hit those kinds of shots. If it's a long, tough, uphill par 5, my day will start off poorly usually.

I like starting out with a par 5 as well. There is a course near me that starts out with a par 6. I can't remember the yardage, but it was over 600 if I recall correctly.

My home course starts with a par 5 as well as another of my favorite tracks around here. I enjoy it.

I like a par 5 as a starting hole. It lets me get into a rhythm and usually there is a little more margin for error.

JM

My home course starts & finishes with a par5. I like it that way. The opening hole's green is protected by a creek that crosses in front and that generally keeps me from even attempting to reach in two. That allows me to focus more on just getting off the tee and in the fairway to start. A lot less pressure on that first swing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I like a starting 5. Feel like it lets me get in to the flow of things and get comfortable and confident for the round.

Back