How would you handle this situation?

mikedean441

6X HOF
Reaction score
Handicap
Curious to hear what you guys think about the following:

Currently in a agreement for 12 lessons from a PGA teaching pro. Paid for 6 upfront, and thus far Ive taken 3 lessons from him, all indoors (thanks to glorious weather).

Well Ive been trying for some time to lock down lesson #4, and havent had much luck.

First try was a day before Hilton Head Invitational, and 2 hours before the lesson he texted me saying he couldnt shake a "bug" and didnt want to get me sick.

2nd try, we both decided to cancel it as the weather was just downright cold

Try #3-So had another one setup for tomorrow, and I shoot him a text to reconfirm our time. He replies that tomorrow will be the firs today the course is open and he has no staff to "cover him", he said he is looking and will let you know.

With the way the weather has been, the window for some of these lessons is pretty small, so each cancellation really sets me back big time.

Im usually a guy to give someone the benefit of the doubt, but at the same time I dont want to get taken advantage of.

Im thinking of giving him 1 more shot, what do you guys think? We work well together and the course is 1 minute from my house which is extremely convienent, but at the same time I dont want to be held hostage to his schedule too much, as I work full time and have a wife and 3 kids at home too.

Thoughts?

I'd give him another shot, but maybe push him a little on tomorrow. If it doesn't work out, expect the next one to without any excuses.

I say give him another shot as well. The pros seem to outweigh the cons.

I'd give him some time. 1st and 3rd reasons sound legit while the 2nd seems questionable but you were both in agreement. Be patient and surely now that things are turning it'll get better.

I'd give him another shot, too. I'd take a look at my schedule and then get my next 3 or so lessons on the calendar.

This time of year is tough for golf courses because all of the kids are still at college so they don't have the staff they normally have during the summer months.

Yep I am with the others guys. One more opportunity and if that doesn't work, well it's time to move onto someone that does wan't to help your golf game.

I'm with Hawk. The fact that you had it scheduled and he can't make it know is kind of crappy, but maybe give him the benefit of the doubt since it's the first day of the season? I'm kind of going through the same thing where I have some prepaid lessons and we have to keep on delaying it because of weather and some other stuff. He forget our very lesson and had to reschedule, which I wasn't too happy about. The other time he scheduled on a day when he had to run a tournament. We have one scheduled for this Saturday, but if he misses it or asks to reschedule, I'm done.

Like others id give him one more shot. If something comes up then I'd go elsewhere.

I would give him one more shot & at the same time be honest with him about your expectations. If the guy is too busy or limited with his time then you can't continue to be on the short end of the stick when it comes to the lessons. It could be that these last cancellations were all coincidence, but you wont know until you have a conversation with him.

Stick with him. Try to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Things happen, I'd give him another shot.

HAHA he must be reading the forum cause he is now magically able to make it

talk about timing

talk about timing

Tell him he owes us a couple of True Balance putters.

Do you like the progress and his teaching methods? If yes, then I say you have to stick it out. If there is something else you don't like besides the cancellations then it might be time to move on

Proud Member of #TeamParadise

Honesty is always the best policy. So I would give him another shot, but I would also politely mention your scheduling apprehensions. Instead of just scheduling your next lesson only, schedule the next two or three. If you remain reasonable, he should reasonably understand your concerns. Reasonable people typically find reasonable solutions.

FWIW, I had this happen to me a few years ago. I pre paid for a bunch of lessons and every time I scheduled I would get the run around. At one point he asked how many lessons I had, so I don't know if he was confused or what his issue was, but I would show up to lessons and he'd only have time for 20 minutes because he was sick, or had another lesson going on and just told me to hit balls and he'd come over and show me a few things. It was bizarre.

I finally got fed up with it and confronted him, just by telling him it was actually a chore to take off work, get changed and drive all the way to the course only to have him cancel or give me a half lesson, etc. He finally showed up and gave me a full lesson after that, but he just made my grip much stronger and talked to me the rest of the time about how he was going to open some awesome driving range in NYC. I just stopped going to him after that.

It sounds like a lot of bad timing and weather issues here, so I'd give him one more shot and if he still can't get his act together, I'd ask him if he's willing to commit to the lessons and teaching you or maybe it's just best to give you a refund and part ways to prevent from wasting even more time. Hopefully things turn around and you get those lessons.

I would definitely give him another shot. Bring it up gently during your next lesson, stating that you are really looking forward to getting things back on track. Make sure he knows how important this is to you. If he still doesn't get with the program...

talk about timing

Glad it worked out. Hopefully that continues.

If not, I can send him a letter... (I get 1/3 of your lessons, though)

I would give him one more shot based on the convenience of being close to home and the fact that you work well together

Festivus Miracle. Glad it's going to work out Mike.

Give him one more shot

Since you both called it off for temp i would not count that aganist him I give some one 3 strikes sounds like he has 2 so far one more call him out and find a more reliable pro

Good to here it work out

I'd give him another shot. I know our PGA Pro/Owner is over his head right now trying to get the course ready to open. He is booking zero lessons until at least the end of April. Busy time right now for all the pro's in the Midwest.

Glad it's going to work out for you. Hopefully there's not much more of that down the road for you.

I had very similar issues with my guy. I didn't say anything through the lesson series but then told him it was the reason I wasn't going to re-up with him. In hindsight, I should have directly (but politely) expressed my concerns at the time, rather than waiting to the end. So that's what I'd recommend doing...you aren't going to get the most out of the lessons unless you get regular work, which means he has to be available.

Back