True Blue - Morgan Cup Course - Tips, Tricks, Hole Thoughts

I'll remember that hole for my partner putting one off the green and scaring the crap out of me, only for me to step and drain a bomb.

6 is tough. 5 wood is the play for me off the tee.

6 is tough. 5 wood is the play for me off the tee.

The tee shot isn't the hard part...it's that darn right green. We had 4 putts between the 4 of us in our scramble, maybe what 4-5 feet out from the hole. We couldn't make one. It was a 4 foot putt with 2 feet of break from where that hole was.

The tee shot isn't the hard part...it's that darn right green. We had 4 putts between the 4 of us in our scramble, maybe what 4-5 feet out from the hole. We couldn't make one. It was a 4 foot putt with 2 feet of break from where that hole was.

that pin was crazy if you were above or right of the hole.

That right green is tough for sure. Seems like they always cut the hole on a ridge.

If memory serves, there are bunkers in the driver landing zone on both sides of that hole, but there is plenty of room to bail out behind that with a hybrid (although a draw would spell disaster for a left green approach).

I just don't see it as a fade friendly hole.

Driver?! I hit 4w both times

Here's the layout of #6. I never feel comfortable on this tee, I've tried to hit driver, fairway wood, and hybrid with little success. Most of the time, I've played it with the green on the right, and missing right is terrible because there's not much room between the edge of the fairway and the trees to the right of the waste area. The waste area on the left is a little more open, I got lucky on Sunday last year and hooked a hybrid in there but then had like 120-130 into the left green. If there was one hole I wish I could change it True Blue, it's this one, I wish the drive was less intimidating for me.

I forgot one thing: if you are a big hitter, you can take driver and put it fairly close to the green on the right. HashtagChad was behind me during a practice round last year, had never played the course, and just bashed driver to about 30 yards short of the green by taking it over the waste area on the right.

6-tb-2013.jpeg
Agree about being uncomfortable, even when you know which green you are going to, split greens make me feel like I'm on a putt putt course and I'm a sucker going for the wrong one!

#6 looks like one of thouse holes i would let loose on the driver. Love a challenging hole with risk/ rewards.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For those MC participants, I strongly recommend you work on your sand game, the nice thing about TB is you get to practice shots in their waste bunkers, the bad thing is, you find yourself playing more sand shots than normal! (At least it was that way for me!)

For those MC participants, I strongly recommend you work on your sand game, the nice thing about TB is you get to practice shots in their waste bunkers, the bad thing is, you find yourself playing more sand shots than normal! (At least it was that way for me!)

I found one of the hardest things about these courses is the uniqueness of the sand as compared to my home courses. Where we're a bit more soft and fluffy, many holes on TB and Cale are lined with packed sand that can play like a distance killer or a flier and any given moment.

Best strategy I've heard is to stay out of them hahahaha

Sand left of TB 16th. Effin brutal. No good way to play from the really hard firm (basically concrete) that I've seen. Chutting not an option with inverted lips.

I found one of the hardest things about these courses is the uniqueness of the sand as compared to my home courses. Where we're a bit more soft and fluffy, many holes on TB and Cale are lined with packed sand that can play like a distance killer or a flier and any given moment.

Best strategy I've heard is to stay out of them hahahaha

Excellent point and strategy! Doesn't always work out that way. But practice swings are a nice touch!

Sand left of TB 16th. Effin brutal. No good way to play from the really hard firm (basically concrete) that I've seen. Chutting not an option with inverted lips.

You mean the sand like cart path? That area looks brutal to be honest

Yeah it's like hitting wedge off concrete

Yep and it is brutal. Better off hitting in water and dropping on back of green.

Yep and it is brutal. Better off hitting in water and dropping on back of green.

Yeah that area didn't look too good. Might be better off smacking a 7i into the bank and letting it hop on up.

Unless your tclutch who found a way to get up and down. I still have nightmares about him hitting that shot from down there.

Unless your tclutch who found a way to get up and down. I still have nightmares about him hitting that shot from down there.

He did hit an amazing shot but wasn't he more on the bank where carts hadn't driven over as much to completely make the surface compact?

Not to take away from his shot, just trying to understand.

He did hit an amazing shot but wasn't he more on the bank where carts hadn't driven over as much to completely make the surface compact?

Not to take away from his shot, just trying to understand.

I don't know to be honest but at that point I think the carts had driven over just about all of that bunker. There was not much sand to be found anywhere in that area he was in. I remember walking through it to the green thinking how hard the ground/sand was. No give.

It's a tough go if you're a digger. I hit a few from those spots, and just opted to choke up for the ol' MD bottom groover. Worked out okay.

As for practice swings? I couldn't do it. It just felt wrong and confusing.

It's a tough go if you're a digger. I hit a few from those spots, and just opted to choke up for the ol' MD bottom groover. Worked out okay.

As for practice swings? I couldn't do it. It just felt wrong and confusing.

I'm in that boat a bit. I know I can take swings in them and such but I'm so used to not that I likely won't remember. I might now on 16 if I go left haha

I'm in that boat a bit. I know I can take swings in them and such but I'm so used to not that I likely won't remember. I might now on 16 if I go left haha

I got so used to it, I started doing it during our team practice round on Thursday morning at Caledonia. Jake just laughed. Lol.

I got so used to it, I started doing it during our team practice round on Thursday morning at Caledonia. Jake just laughed. Lol.

Haha WHOOPS wrong course!

year before I did not take any practice swings. Last year I did. I think it's too good of an advantage not to do.

Back