Would you join Augusta?

Trout Bum

Regional Rival
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I was thinking about the are you Augusta material thread and was thinking, does Augusta meet your requirements? Sure it's exclusive, it has pristine conditions, the practice area is world class, but they still discriminate. Yeah they elected their first female member but only when they came under enormous pressure to do so (IBM).

Would you support Augusta even though they still discriminate? My feeling is if they still judge 1 they still judge many and I'd bow out.

I would absolutely join. If that makes me a bad person in the eyes of some, then I am sorry, but it is the mecca of golf courses.

I don't care about any perceived discrimination since they're a private club. Aren't you only allowed to golf for 3 months? If so, that'd be why I wouldn't.

I'd join in a heartbeat.

Every day and on twice on Sunday.

Yes, because the only way to affect change is from the inside.

Plus it's an amazing place that I've yet to visit but I need to.

Yes I'd join.

I would join without hesitation. It's a private club that can set rules as it sees fit.

Too many want to be politically correct or push an agenda and there are plenty of platforms to advance diversity & inclusion better than a golf club having a men only rule.

Yes. After watching the press conference today and hearing how much they support the community and everything, I'm not sure it's as bad as it's made out to be by some naysayers. There are still a lot of clubs in europe that don't allow females to join or even play there. Golf is not the only social commitment dealing with "the old buys club" way of thinking.

Sure, why not

If they're offering, I'm accepting.

I would prefer however there be no media fanfare about who is asked to join vs not, which is likely why there was a wait for Dr Rice and Mrs. Moore to begin with. Let them do things at their speed and leisure.

I was thinking about the are you Augusta material thread and was thinking, does Augusta meet your requirements? Sure it's exclusive, it has pristine conditions, the practice area is world class, but they still discriminate. Yeah they elected their first female member but only when they came under enormous pressure to do so (IBM).

Would you support Augusta even though they still discriminate? My feeling is if they still judge 1 they still judge many and I'd bow out.

I don't know how deep their discrimination goes as I'm not privy to anything having to do with Augusta. I'm not trying to act "holier than thou" but I wouldn't join. It's hard for this conversation to not turn political but it is interesting to say the least. I never understood the praise they received when they welcomed their first woman. Welcome to 2012...They were a little behind the curve if you ask me.

I would. If you want to change something wouldn't it be better to try from within vs. from the outside?

I would absolutely join. That stuff is a little strange, yes. However, there are tons of clubs/groups that I would not be allowed to join because of my gender/race, and that doesn't bother me at all.

I would join without hesitation. It's a private club that can set rules as it sees fit.

Too many want to be politically correct or push an agenda and there are plenty of platforms to advance diversity & inclusion better than a golf club having a men only rule.

To be fair it isn't about being politically correct or pushing an agenda for everyone. If in fact they are still discriminating against people it becomes a moral issue for me. Now that doesn't mean I have a problem with people who would want to be members, I couldn't care less to be honest. It just isn't for me.

Without second thought.

Yes yes and yes. It is private so why should it matter who they allow to join.

Curves fitness clubs only allow female members. Why are there not thousands of complaints about their discrimination?

Absolutely I'd join. I agree on the fact it is a private club that can set its own rules for membership. If I recall membership dues are pretty insignificant too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

heck yea would love to be a member if i had the funds

To be fair it isn't about being politically correct or pushing an agenda for everyone. If in fact they are still discriminating against people it becomes a moral issue for me. Now that doesn't mean I have a problem with people who would want to be members, I couldn't care less to be honest. It just isn't for me.

I get & respect where you are coming from in regards to it being a moral issue for you, but I don't see how making a private club change it's admission policies advances diversity & inclusion within everyday society.

I definitely would. I don't necessarily agree with some of the exclusionary practices, but I also think they, as a private club, have some freedoms that should allow them to select who they would like to have in their club.

I would join, but I would only play with minorities.

*sarcasm*

who wouldn't? But the thing about Augusta is, it's not really a club you would go to daily it's more a golf status symbol, a busy weekend for them is 70-80 rounds. as for funds to join, I don't believe it's that expensive & you have to be invited.

Without hesitation. I wanted them to be more inclusive sooner and I know the Drive, Chip and Putt competition is only one step in the right direction, but it's a step.

it is a private club, they can admit whom ever they wish, if they would have me, I would join in a new York minute

Back