lilbilly

Reaction score
Handicap
You rarely see a pro take full swings when it comes to a practice swing. Mostly half swings and slow motion swings. Yet on the average course, most golfers, myself included, are taking full swings as practice, and more than one at that.

What do you do?
What do you recommend?
If you are making a slow mo swings or half swing, what are you feeling or trying to get in your head?

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

You rarely see a pro take full swings when it comes to a practice swing. Mostly half swings and slow motion swings. Yet on the average course, most golfers, myself included, are taking full swings as practice, and more than one at that.

What do you do?
What do you recommend?
If you are making a slow mo swings or half swing, what are you feeling or trying to get in your head?

I dont' get all set up and take a replica swing. Usually just trying to feel whatever swing feeling I'm trying to create. I recommend nothing but what works for you and doesn't slow down other people.

I usually do a variation of the pump drill for full swings. address - takeway - return to address - 1/2 way back - return to address - full swing to the top - thru. Never at full speed. Usually 3/4 speed. It's about feeling the positions for me. Not gauging speed.

I take no practice swings.

I do a practice swing at about 2/3 of what I'm planning to swing at. I'm trying to focus on letting my hips move first and keeping my hands and arms relaxed. Depending on how I'm swinging, I may not even do a full swing. Just a slow takeaway and backswing, then just the hip bump and feeling my arms fall into the slot to pass through the ball.

I practice my take away once and sometimes do a nice easy swing then step up and hit

I dont' get all set up and take a replica swing. Usually just trying to feel whatever swing feeling I'm trying to create. I recommend nothing but what works for you and doesn't slow down other people.

Ever since I can remember, I have taken full swings. If it feels right to me, I stop after one. If I felt it was a bad swing, I'll take more until it feels like a swing I want it to be.

Even with multiple full swings, I'm never slow. I don't mind enjoying the day, but I'm all about playing quick. My last 18 with a buddy was 3 hours 5 minutes.

However when it comes to the practice swing, I wonder if I'd be better off with slow half swings trying to feel it, than taking full cuts.

I've been on the course with you. I wish I could speak to your routine. But I blinked and missed it. hehe

The pro I am taking lessons from has me just taking the club back parallel to the ground to help me feel the early turn differences before bringing the club back and starting the real swing. Pitches and chips are the only places I'm going to take a full practice swing since it is more about feeling how far back I want to take the club than anything else.

I'm the same way.... I'm debating on changing this but I just never have

Proud Member of #TeamParadise

Typically one waggle or "technique" reminder and then I'm off. On pitches or chips there may be a couple more for feel but that's it.

Most of the time I take no practice swings. If I happen to have a strange lie or stance or I'm faced with a tricky little wedge shot, then I may take a practice swing or two.

Typically one waggle or "technique" reminder and then I'm off. On pitches or chips there may be a couple more for feel but that's it.

Pitches, chips and putts are where I try and practice the exact swing I want to take because it is much more of a "feel" shot. I don't take full driver swings ever but do try and get the right feel on most iron shots

I get up and hit the ball ready golf

I take one or 2 of those 1/2 swings...never a full swing. LOL I had a playing partner that was strong as an ox. He'd take 3-4 full speed practice swings before every shot. By the end of the round he'd probably taken 200 full swings. And he swings out of his shoes. We always joked his swing could power a small town.

I get up and hit the ball ready golf

Not sure that's really the definition of "ready golf", but if that's what you do, that's cool.

Not sure that's really the definition of "ready golf", but if that's what you do, that's cool.

That is it to me ready to go when i am clear no one is waiting on me

No practice swings for me. Only time I do is when I'm chipping.

Rarely, its more getting a feel than a full fledged practice swing, as Hawk said.

I take a full practice swing, generally to feel the club bottom out and smooth my swing. Right or wrong, just part of my swing.

Over the last two seasons I've worked on taking no practice swings. I stand behind the ball and select my line and then just step up and hit it. It keeps me from thinking too much, and also makes sure that if I don't lose confidence if I take a bad practice swing. Nothing worse than stepping up and taking a practice swing and chunking it really bad. The odds of hitting a good shot after that are slim to none.

Mine are about 3/4 swings I'd guess. With woods, hybrids and irons it is all about just rubbing the ground enough to check alignment. With driver, it is all about just relaxing a little with a couple of 3/4 swings. Two or three for me is normal.

I usually take a practice swing, but it can be a 3/4 swing, or a whipping thing. I might do an actual 1/1 practice swing if the lie is bad.

I usually take a half swing trying to feel the of the shot I about to hit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back