Cleveland Smart Sole Wedges

I've spent the week with a couple relatively high handicappers (mid 90s on average) and we've been discussing the benefits of wedge lofts. One uses a 7 iron exclusively around the green, and the other typically prefers to use a pitching wedge rather than his 60 degree wedge. When I asked what kinds of shots they used their highest lofted wedges, they both noted that avoiding using it is usually the better play.

Well, after spending some time at the PGA superstore, I was able to work with one of the guys who is always bag pondering, and he realized just how easy it was to use the smart sole "S" wedge for three different shots, and how little he found himself hitting the ground way behind the ball and chunking.

Long story short, he's got a new wedge for tomorrow's round. I'm really excited for him, as I think this will open the door to both confidence and entertainment around the greens, rather than punching a lower lofted club and hoping for the best. Smart sole!!

That's pretty cool man! I'm interested to see how it goes for him.

It will be nice to have the C smart sole compared to the niblick 42°. I know you will give us a very good review of the two. Thanks OG

I'm taking lessons and the last one was about the different length swings you can use to manage distance. I'm thinking the same concept can be used with the C smart sole. I'm about to find out soon ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got a chipper in today-- inspired by the thread I guess. Will be testing some tomorrow!

My S wedge will be here tomorrow....wishing now that I had gone ahead and ordered the C wedge too.

I hope it gets here in time to get out to the range with it.

Discount Golf has these on sale for 79.99. Added a dozen Bridgestone E6's (with a promotion that includes a free sleeve of RX-330's) to get free shipping. Looking forward to trying the S and seeing if it can replace both my sand and lob wedges.

Looking forward to your feedback icedevil.

My S wedge will be here tomorrow....wishing now that I had gone ahead and ordered the C wedge too.

I hope it gets here in time to get out to the range with it.

well TBT, don't order one yet, mine won't be sticking around ?. I like the concept and needed this a year ago. Now my chipping game was just as good if not better on my testing. Don't see the need to give up a club slot for it now.

I got out and hit the smart sole today, pretty darn nice! I hit some off the turf and the mats. At address it looks pretty much like any other wedge. Very easy to hit solid shots with this, even a full shot. I hit a few stingers, but not a single scooper today, that may be a first for me.

I got out and hit the smart sole today, pretty darn nice! I hit some off the turf and the mats. At address it looks pretty much like any other wedge. Very easy to hit solid shots with this, even a full shot. I hit a few stingers, but not a single scooper today, that may be a first for me.

Good stuff. This is where I think people bringing the niblick comparison are off base. It's a completely different club from just about every technological aspect.

Good stuff. This is where I think people bringing the niblick comparison are off base. It's a completely different club from just about every technological aspect.

I have never hit a niblick, but this is definitely a wedge, only very likely better from what I saw today.

I was concerned about moon balls and maybe even catching the roof of the hitting bay, but it didn't happen. The trajectory was very nice. I was quite surprised.

A little too chunky for my taste but those other new Clevelend wedges look pretty sweet.

I can see a good five or six shots a round coming off my scores with these puppies?⛳

To clarify further, the club does exactly what its supposed to do and is very easy to hit. Just not a change needed for me over the RTX wedges.

This week I've watched a 20+ handicap flop, pitch, and punch with the smart sole S wedge. While he thinned one or two, he's yet to chunk anything with it.

Talk about versatility...

This week I've watched a 20+ handicap flop, pitch, and punch with the smart sole S wedge. While he thinned one or two, he's yet to chunk anything with it.

That says a lot! I've only hit a couple dozen shots with it and can see that it could be very versatile.

I hit the course today with both my C and S wedges today; and they HELPED. Simple as that. Playing my other wedges so far this year I have been really struggling with turf interaction after being on mats for 5 months. I pretty much chunked everything around the green the last few weeks. Not today, not once. I also didn't hit any thin. I have some distance/touch issues to work out with both of them, but I'll be back out there with them on Sunday.

I hit the course today with both my C and S wedges today; and they HELPED. Simple as that. Playing my other wedges so far this year I have been really struggling with turf interaction after being on mats for 5 months. I pretty much chunked everything around the green the last few weeks. Not today, not once. I also didn't hit any thin. I have some distance/touch issues to work out with both of them, but I'll be back out there with them on Sunday.

I thought you played the SS wedge pretty well today.

This was one of my main hesitations. Would I only want to use the S out of the sand, or is it a club I could confidently pull out in all sorts of situations. Definitely something that is on my ponder list now.

This was one of my main hesitations. Would I only want to use the S out of the sand, or is it a club I could confidently pull out in all sorts of situations. Definitely something that is on my ponder list now.
I use it for every shot inside of 80 yards or so (unless I'm playing a bump and run with the C). I was not in the sand once today.

There is not a shot that I can not pull off with it.

I hit around 50 balls with the smart sole S this evening and I'm pretty dang thrilled with it right now. I found it very easy to drop balls around the first pin at the range (88 yds.). That's about what I was expecting to see distance wise on a solid hit for this time of year and beat up old range balls. What I wasn't expecting was how easy it was to hit them there consistently. I hit both this and my old wedge and the smart sole won hands down. It was a real eye opener for me because I thought I hit my old wedge pretty well.
I have to admit that I really wasn’t all that stoked about this club when I ordered it.

I am now!

I can hardly wait to get this on the practice hole with better balls.

I hit around 50 balls with the smart sole S this evening and I'm pretty dang thrilled with it right now. I found it very easy to drop balls around the first pin at the range (88 yds.). That's about what I was expecting to see distance wise on a solid hit for this time of year and beat up old range balls. What I wasn't expecting was how easy it was to hit them there consistently. I hit both this and my old wedge and the smart sole won hands down. It was a real eye opener for me because I thought I hit my old wedge pretty well.
I have to admit that I really wasn’t all that stoked about this club when I ordered it.

I am now!

I can hardly wait to get this on the practice hole with better balls.

Dude you got me slobbering like a hog in a slop bucket for one of these!

Back