UST Mamiya Elements Chrome Shaft Review

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
THP takes a look at the newest line from UST called Elements Chrome in this review.

http://bit.ly/1gKzjnW

Good write-up James. I found the the CB in he shaft to balance out the heavier heads to be the most interesting. I've enjoyed putters that are like that, I think it's cool that it's translating to shafts in other clubs as well.

Using Tapatalk

Enjoyed reading the write up James. I am interested in the CB with more weight towards the butt of the shaft and just how noticeable that is. Also definitely a fan of adding the chemical structure of Chromium to the shaft, being a science guy! Well done!

Good stuff here James, great job! A low spin mid/high launch shaft sounds like a winner to me. Also I like the counter balance feature, I hope I get an opportunity to give a Chrome a try.

To the point, filled with details and left me wanting to try this shaft. You accomplished the trifecta brother, good job!

James es with a mid launch and low spin, your dispersion was pretty tight? Could you launch high if you wanted?

Nice write up. I like the graphics and it sounds like a winner, especially when you are seeing an increase in ball speeds compared to similar shafts.

Nice job James! 75g is a nice weight. Can you explain the process for measuring the different stiffness profiles in the sections. The top stiffness is in lbs, mid is in Kg, and the but is cfm? I'm sure this is down in the weeds kind of question, but just curious and trying to learn.

Solid review Jman, I learned a ton in this article and the shaft sounded like it really performed well for you.

Very interesting shaft James thanks for your through review. I'm a fan of the looks but what seems to shine is the technology that UST has packed into this shaft.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Not my style so much, but love reading the technical explanations. Well done dude.

Thanks for the info on this one James! I've always enjoyed the looks of the Recoil shafts and the properties of this one are so far in my wheelhouse it's really not even funny.

The whole counterbalanced concept in this shaft has me intrigued. Unsure if it would fit me well.....but I want to try it.

Well done James, the technical stuff is quite enlightening for a shaft dummy like me!

I like how this shaft sounds. Low spin, mid-high launch. Just my kind of shaft. I will have to give this a try sometime.

Nice review! Just when I thought I had nothing left to ponder...

Great review Jman & I'm interested to know more about the low spin ratio that surprised you.

1. Was is drastically different than another shaft with the similar properties, or was it that UST delivers something that cannot be compared to anything being offered right now?
2. Based on the chart from the review if you select a flex that corresponds with a mid/high ball flight do you think the spin will increase or maintain based on the technology.

If I understood the CB technology that went into the design the weight is moved to the butt section of the shaft. Did you find that it allowed the tip to play softer than you normally are used to? Did it force you to adjust tempo?

Thanks again!

To the point, filled with details and left me wanting to try this shaft. You accomplished the trifecta brother, good job!

James es with a mid launch and low spin, your dispersion was pretty tight? Could you launch high if you wanted?

It'll vary person to person naturally as we all have diff spin numbers and that plays a big influence on what launch exactly we will all see, plus the head loft will play a HUGE role there as you know. For me though, I have no problem really hoisting one up there if I need to. Dispersion is really good, I touched on it a little in the review but I was really impressed with the ball speeds and the dispersion I saw, good stuff.

Thanks buddy, glad you enjoyed it.

Nice job James! 75g is a nice weight. Can you explain the process for measuring the different stiffness profiles in the sections. The top stiffness is in lbs, mid is in Kg, and the but is cfm? I'm sure this is down in the weeds kind of question, but just curious and trying to learn.

Its just the breakdown of measurement UST uses section to section. Each company measures it all a little different (which is a pain), wish we could get a uniform system... **cough** International Flex **cough** :alien:

Thanks for the info on this one James! I've always enjoyed the looks of the Recoil shafts and the properties of this one are so far in my wheelhouse it's really not even funny.

The whole counterbalanced concept in this shaft has me intrigued. Unsure if it would fit me well.....but I want to try it.

Don't think too much about it like we do with putters, its basically just that typically the tip sections of graphite shafts are thicker and heavier than the butt section and that can make it more difficult to keep the swing weight from getting too high. Makes it way easier to keep things balanced and a more "normal" swing weight for more heads without too much added work in balancing the butt end to bring the SW down.

Great review Jman & I'm interested to know more about the low spin ratio that surprised you.

1. Was is drastically different than another shaft with the similar properties, or was it that UST delivers something that cannot be compared to anything being offered right now?
2. Based on the chart from the review if you select a flex that corresponds with a mid/high ball flight do you think the spin will increase or maintain based on the technology.

If I understood the CB technology that went into the design the weight is moved to the butt section of the shaft. Did you find that it allowed the tip to play softer than you normally are used to? Did it force you to adjust tempo?

Thanks again!

The Recoil tech is just a different take than many have right now, so many focus on preventing any ovaling of the shaft through the load and unload (no distortion, stay round) and UST believes that some ovaling is good and actually makes for a more efficient transfer of the energy in the swing from the hands to the head. Its unique right now and with the reception the Recoils and now the Chrome are getting there is def something to it IMO.

I would imagine the mid high will spin a bit more. You have to remember, the holy grail of all graphite shafts for companies would be a high launching and TRUE low spin setup, that would be insane and truly revolutionary. What we usually see is that while launch goes up the spin comes up with it too and to an extent it needs to, heck, look at the White Tie, classified High/Low but really more Mid-High/Low-Mid. Its an interesting thing and as tech increases shaft companies are getting closer and closer it seems.

Nope, tip plays no softer IMO. No tempo change needed, like I told Cookie above, I think we tend to associate counterbalance with the weight shift in putters and here it isn't exactly the same.

I almost forgot, thank you for all the comments everyone, glad you enjoyed reading it.

Well done, James. Would love to give this tech a try...mid launch, low spin doors intrigue me...and it looks quite nice.

Great looking shaft and good thoughts James. The Elements line as a whole sounds interesting.

Well done James.

Can the F4T flex be considered as a "stiff" flex?

Are these available now from UST or did you get a pre release review?

Jman- what head did you test this shaft with? You have me curious with the spin and wondered what the set up was for the review.

Nice write up. I'll soon be testing the 7F4T for that other site, and the CB aspect of this shaft has me in a bit of a quandary. Right now I have a Project X-7C3 in my 910D3 with a Secret Grip for a counterbalance. Love the SG and was originally intending to set up the Chrome with one, now I'm wondering if I even need it.

Any thoughts?

Back