Music On The Course - Straight Talk W/ Jake

LOL Jake. Pure badassery.

Love the first straight talk Jake! I'll never forget that practice round at Caledonia and the fun we had as Team Paradise. That was my first experience with Gangsta Rap on the course and it made me a believer!

Good article! I myself have never played music on the course, never really crossed my mind to tell you the truth. I would have zero problems if others did as long as wasn't obnoxious. I can see how music on the course could actually help because it seems to with bowling. A weird analogy I know. I am pretty useless at bowling, but I do better if I like the music.

So I figured I'd give this a try and yesterday was the day. I played with a buddy of mine and I asked him if he minded if I played some music on my phone for a few holes to see if it affected me either way or if it bothered him and he was cool with it. I had felt bad for judging something before giving it a fair shake, that's usually not my style. We listened to some different genre's and I have to say it was horrible, Songs I usually love became annoying. I really found it annoying when trying to pick clubs for yardages, and when walking to my ball I usually think about what my next shot is going to be and I try to decipher my last shot and I couldn't do it with the music on. My buddy was pretty irritated from the get go lol, and if you knew him you'd never expect it from him, he's as smooth as it gets. Even though I didn't enjoy it I can see how others can and will be a little more tolerant as long as it's not louder than it needs to be. It's a perfect testimonial for walking more so the game can be enjoyed by everyone and it was a perfect example of how my behavior affected my playing partner as well.

Trout,
Im pretty much the same way minus the horrible part. I mean I am not a music guy on the course, but its not as black and white for me. I will give you an example, I listen to a lot of NPR and talk radio. THere are many times when I have it out on the course with me, but I dont use it while I swing or turn it down a bit. But then again, nothing really bothers me when I play for the most part.

So I figured I'd give this a try and yesterday was the day. I played with a buddy of mine and I asked him if he minded if I played some music on my phone for a few holes to see if it affected me either way or if it bothered him and he was cool with it. I had felt bad for judging something before giving it a fair shake, that's usually not my style. We listened to some different genre's and I have to say it was horrible, Songs I usually love became annoying. I really found it annoying when trying to pick clubs for yardages, and when walking to my ball I usually think about what my next shot is going to be and I try to decipher my last shot and I couldn't do it with the music on. My buddy was pretty irritated from the get go lol, and if you knew him you'd never expect it from him, he's as smooth as it gets. Even though I didn't enjoy it I can see how others can and will be a little more tolerant as long as it's not louder than it needs to be. It's a perfect testimonial for walking more so the game can be enjoyed by everyone and it was a perfect example of how my behavior affected my playing partner as well.
Hey buddy I'm glad you gave it a fair shake before you had your mind made up. I'll be honest, I was waiting for you to say, I have to say....I enjoyed it and you went TOTALLY in the other direction....haha.

We had some classic rock playing in the Houston THP foursome yesterday.

On a side note, JB...where did you pick up the Kitsound XB model....I have only been able to find them in the UK and I ordered one only to get an email 4 days later telling me they don't ship outside of Europe.

We had some classic rock playing in the Houston THP foursome yesterday.

On a side note, JB...where did you pick up the Kitsound XB model....I have only been able to find them in the UK and I ordered one only to get an email 4 days later telling me they don't ship outside of Europe.

It was sent to us from the company, but I know others that have found them on Ebay and one seller on Amazon.

It was sent to us from the company, but I know others that have found them on Ebay and one seller on Amazon.

Thanks, I will keep looking.

Trout,
Im pretty much the same way minus the horrible part. I mean I am not a music guy on the course, but its not as black and white for me. I will give you an example, I listen to a lot of NPR and talk radio. THere are many times when I have it out on the course with me, but I dont use it while I swing or turn it down a bit. But then again, nothing really bothers me when I play for the most part.

I like NPR and surprisingly I'd bet it wouldn't be as distracting as the tunes were.

Lets just install a tower in middle of the courses with a speaker pointing each direction. Every one playing a different genre of music. The future of music on the course. Look at the unintended consequences that will be raised with the varying etiquette of players and add a few drinks in to that equation. One cart hears anothers and turns theirs up, on and on at the misery of the rest on course.

Its not fair to the game to rationalize others doing poor in maintaining etiquette on the course as a means to make another acceptable.

Glad to read this article and thread. I've listened to music(headphones) on the range and practice putting with mixed results. Putting is a little weird and I hate not being able to hear the sound between putter and ball. I don't always, probably less than half the time, but if I'm walking on the course alone I love turning my phone speakers up and throwing it in my pocket. I almost feel like I have more flow and nice to have on in between shots. I can't see myself going out to buy speakers or anything, but will definitely continue to play my music if I'm playing as a single.

I've got a friend I play with in occasion who feels the need to play KISS and Van Halen in his phone. Drives me a bit nutty. However, I was watching the Liverpool v Man City game in-between holes, bit turned the sound down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Music On The Course - Straight Talk W/ Jake

I was on the range last week and I heard music for the first time on a course. A couple of old guys went up the first blaring some country type rubbish. I can now say playing with someone that was playing music on the course would do my bloody head in LOL

We played yesterday, my wife has never played with music before then. At first she was a little put off by it really, then about the 6th hole I notice that she was signing along with the music. By the end of the round she found the good in it.

I was on the range last week and I heard music for the first time on a course. A couple of old guys went up the first blaring some country type rubbish. I can now say playing with someone that was playing music on the course would do my bloody head in LOL

If I were to listen to anything it would likely be country rubbish! But that rap crap (totally serious about that term!) wouldn't work at all.

I'm probably in the minority here, but EDM on the course is my favorite. Definitely gets me pumped up to play better. It's kinda like bringing a party to the course hehe.

I'm probably in the minority here, but EDM on the course is my favorite. Definitely gets me pumped up to play better. It's kinda like bringing a party to the course hehe.

Lol, it's a Miami thing buddy I can see that happening..

I'm going to try some Pink Floyd, and some old Van Halen and see how they do, heck I may even throw on some Maiden or Priest. There's got to be something that will make me click, I can't be that off.

I had the music going again the other day on course, and I've come down to it being purely a volume thing.

If I can get away from it any time I would like, I really enjoy it.

Lets just install a tower in middle of the courses with a speaker pointing each direction. Every one playing a different genre of music. The future of music on the course. Look at the unintended consequences that will be raised with the varying etiquette of players and add a few drinks in to that equation. One cart hears anothers and turns theirs up, on and on at the misery of the rest on course.

Its not fair to the game to rationalize others doing poor in maintaining etiquette on the course as a means to make another acceptable.
Kind of an extreme example, no? I mean if you read my article I'm definitely keeping the thoughts and dislikes of others in mind when I play music. You make it sound like we're going to start seeing live bands and mosh pits on a golf course. Not quite what I'm talking about my friend.

I had the music going again the other day on course, and I've come down to it being purely a volume thing.

Exactly! The other day Jesse and I had some tunes on, barely loud enough to even hear while the cart was in motion, but it was perfect. Just a little something in the background.

Eady enough, when I walk I put my bag down on the green away from my putt and I typically can't hear the music. Let's me focus on the putt a little better. Although I've never found mucus distracting during any part of my game.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

If I were to listen to anything it would likely be country rubbish! But that rap crap (totally serious about that term!) wouldn't work at all.

You mean the mudic stylings of DMX or Jay Z wouldn't work?

Rap-a-tap Tappin' on my SG4

Back