Morgan Cup Equipment: What would you choose? (2014)

I think people should get what they want for an event like this, but here are my thoughts. Hitting one better than the other is rather unique in this instance, and would be more geared towards the swing/mental than the clubs themselves. Reason being is they are similar in weighting, just one is more forgiving heel to toe. So when swinging well, one should see solid performance out of both (similar).

That is one of the big reasons I am sticking with the J40 445 head and probably leaning towards the DPCs. I'm not a guy dying to work the ball, so why not embrace the added forgiveness?

I think people should get what they want for an event like this, but here are my thoughts. Hitting one better than the other is rather unique in this instance, and would be more geared towards the swing/mental than the clubs themselves. Reason being is they are similar in weighting, just one is more forgiving heel to toe. So when swinging well, one should see solid performance out of both (similar).

I hear what you are saying. I want something I am going to enjoy playing for a long time and will be consistent for me as my swing changes and gets better and whatnot. It's why I am leaning Apex but I have only hit stock shafts in both and without knowing what our shaft options are for the MC, I cant really get a good feel for that. Excited to see our options and getting some real numbers.

I will ask. What is making you lean towards the Apex over the X2Hot?

Just similarity with my DPCs. I won't sleep on it, if I am hitting the x2hots better, I will for sure be going for them. The offset won't hurt me that's for sure. I should have prefaced it that the fitting will be the ultimate deciding factor.

Just similarity with my DPCs. I won't sleep on it, if I am hitting the x2hots better, I will for sure be going for them. The offset won't hurt me that's for sure. I should have prefaced it that the fitting will be the ultimate deciding factor.

Fitting together would have been so much fun ya jerk. Haha

I hear what you are saying. I want something I am going to enjoy playing for a long time and will be consistent for me as my swing changes and gets better and whatnot. It's why I am leaning Apex but I have only hit stock shafts in both and without knowing what our shaft options are for the MC, I cant really get a good feel for that. Excited to see our options and getting some real numbers.

I will say it like this. And please dont take offense to this, because its not directed at you specifically and I am the first person to say get what you want, its a unique opportunity and someone should get what they want to play with.

With where you are for your game right now, I dont believe you will see a difference at all with different shafts. Not even a slight one.
I also dont think you will see a difference in well struck shots between the Apex and X2Hot. X2Hot will fly slightly higher (which I believe you are after).
I think the idea of growing into a set of irons is one of the most bullsh!t things written on the internet along with hot face.

With that said, you should get what you want and enjoy the heck out of them. Thats what this event was built on, is all about and should be. Despite years past with people harassing others about their gear choices, that will not happen here.

So far I'm digging the entire X2Hot line. Long, forgiving, and some great aesthetics. Obviously it all comes down to how things look at a fitting, but if I end up with a bag of nothing but X2Hot gear, I'll be a happy camper.

I will say it like this. And please dont take offense to this, because its not directed at you specifically and I am the first person to say get what you want, its a unique opportunity and someone should get what they want to play with.

With where you are for your game right now, I dont believe you will see a difference at all with different shafts. Not even a slight one.
I also dont think you will see a difference in well struck shots between the Apex and X2Hot. X2Hot will fly slightly higher (which I believe you are after).
I think the idea of growing into a set of irons is one of the most bullsh!t things written on the internet along with hot face.

With that said, you should get what you want and enjoy the heck out of them. Thats what this event was built on, is all about and should be. Despite years past with people harassing others about their gear choices, that will not happen here.

I will disagree with you on the shafts. The difference for me is looking for a higher ball flight while being able to play graphite and make it easier on my hand/wrist which is a constant struggle. As for growing into the set, it's not entirely what I mean when I say something I can enjoy for a long time. If I am playing well with a set and it does what I want I am less inclined to change them out. I had my TaylorMade 200's for over 10 years. Irons are a big expense and it's something I want to be comfortable with and is best for me now and will be in 5 years.

I will disagree with you on the shafts. The difference for me is looking for a higher ball flight while being able to play graphite and make it easier on my hand/wrist which is a constant struggle. As for growing into the set, it's not entirely what I mean when I say something I can enjoy for a long time. If I am playing well with a set and it does what I want I am less inclined to change them out. I had my TaylorMade 200's for over 10 years. Irons are a big expense and it's something I want to be comfortable with and is best for me now and will be in 5 years.

You can disagree with me on the shafts. But just remember I have watched over 1000 golfers test shafts on the launch monitor over the last 5 years and that info comes from what was witnessed. And when done blind with no shaft labels on the same head, nobody had any idea what flex they were even playing.

You can disagree with me on the shafts. But just remember I have watched over 1000 golfers test shafts on the launch monitor over the last 5 years and that info comes from what was witnessed. And when done blind with no shaft labels on the same head, nobody had any idea what flex they were even playing.

I only disagree from the standpoint of wanting graphite over steel making a difference for me. Maybe that wasnt what you were getting at. If not, then we are in total agreement.

Right Now here is my current list of what I think I would like in my #THPMC Cleveland/Srixon Staff Bag

Driver:588 Custom 10.5 Reg Shaft 44inch Tour AD DI-6 RS Shaft
Woods:588 3 wood and 5 wood Regular Shaft
Hybrids: 588 3 Hybrid and 5 Hybrid Reg Shaft
Irons:588 MT 6-PW Irons Aldila NV Comp 85 Iron Shafts
Wedges: 588 RTX CB 48° 54° 60°
Putter: Cleveland Smart Sqaure Center Shafted 34"

I want to see talk of Altitudes. So damn solid.

Is this thought limited to different flexes with the same shaft, or have the blind tests really shown little difference of ball flight, feel, whatever across different steel models?

Like you ever have to say "Don't take offense to this." You know me well enough by now that isn't necessary. :alien:

It's hard for you to probably understand how much different my game has changed with just a few tweaks after our FL round, so it's probably not even believable that I am playing that much better, but I am hitting the DPCs the best I have ever done with a change in ball position and slight change in swing path. Quite frankly, I wouldn't believe it if the tables were turned, because it was just absolutely god awful.

But looking back, Bridgestone equipment was probably a set that was a little much for my game at the beginning. I love that I was chosen because I really feel like the equipment forced me to be a better golfer. Now I feel like I have fully unlocked the potential of the equipment with the changes I have undergone. It's pretty amazing to sit back and reflect on to be honest.

Cobra Bio Cell+ driver
Callaway Big Bertha 3W
X2Hot Hybrid
Callaway Apex 4-SW with Recoil shafts (not sure which ones)
Callaway Mack Daddy 56*
Versa MXM #9

Length is an issue for you so I think the X2Hot will be a better fit for your game. I agree you should get what you want but we also have a cup to win. Every little bit is going to matter

Length is an issue for you so I think the X2Hot will be a better fit for your game. I agree you should get what you want but we also have a cup to win. Every little bit is going to matter

Again, Like Josh said, its hard to get real numbers off of a mat but the Apex with Recoil 660's were 5-10 yards longer for me than the X2Hots with stock graphite shaft. Hence my confusion. Haha

Is this thought limited to different flexes with the same shaft, or have the blind tests really shown little difference of ball flight, feel, whatever across different steel models?

Across the board. And this being done for amateur golfers. I think we all forget that so many do not have repeatable swings and every shot is a bit different. Sure it will be diferent for every golfer, but I dont often see someone from 12-20 handicap see a difference in ball flight in steel shafts repeatedly. One might launch one degree higher or spin a few hundred RPMs more, but again with the swing and actual contact changing for golfers, its a very hard reading.

With that said, I am not saying this to say not to get a fitting, or that shafts dont matter, because they do. Just that they are overanalyzed in my opinion far too much on the internet. I have seen a dozen posts in the last month alone that think people are going to cure their bad ball striking with a shaft change, lose a hook or a slice, and drop launch a dozen degrees. These things just dont happen.

FWIW, every single one of them chose the KBS Tour 90s as a favorite in the most recent test based on feel. They were also the softest in flex which was pretty fascinating.

I just believe that heading into this event, people overthink their shaft choices. Its not a negative thing mind you, but just my personal take.

Across the board. And this being done for amateur golfers. I think we all forget that so many do not have repeatable swings and every shot is a bit different. Sure it will be diferent for every golfer, but I dont often see someone from 12-20 handicap see a difference in ball flight in steel shafts repeatedly. One might launch one degree higher or spin a few hundred RPMs more, but again with the swing and actual contact changing for golfers, its a very hard reading.

With that said, I am not saying this to say not to get a fitting, or that shafts dont matter, because they do. Just that they are overanalyzed in my opinion far too much on the internet. I have seen a dozen posts in the last month alone that think people are going to cure their bad ball striking with a shaft change, lose a hook or a slice, and drop launch a dozen degrees. These things just dont happen.

FWIW, every single one of them chose the KBS Tour 90s as a favorite in the most recent test based on feel. They were also the softest in flex which was pretty fascinating.

I just believe that heading into this event, people overthink their shaft choices. Its not a negative thing mind you, but just my personal take.

Would you agree that Graphite is easier on people with hand/wrist pain?

Would you agree that Graphite is easier on people with hand/wrist pain?

Yes. And its why I play graphite. But I think the same rules apply when looking at graphite options.

Yes. And its why I play graphite. But I think the same rules apply when looking at graphite options.

What do you mean? In terms of flex or ball flight differences?

Callaway staff bag:

BB 10.5 - +2/D
X2h 3 deep
BB 5w
X2h 4h & 5h
Apex 6-AW
MD2 54/58
MXMv #7
SR2 ball

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Why not

Srixon X 525 Driver at 10.5