Short Game Shape Up - JB Goes To Work

I'm going to really start working on this with my wedges and add that shot out of the sand to the bag. Thx buddie

I'm going to really start working on this with my wedges and add that shot out of the sand to the bag. Thx buddie

With your swing control, you could be absolutely lethal with it.

So today's bunker practice went better than expected. Hopped in the THP Golf Cart and went over to the practice facility and it was a bit crowded. Decided to hit a bucket and by the time I was done, the short game area had cleared up. Worked on the idea posted above and really concentrating on getting down and through the ball and came away very impressed. Rather than opening the club up through hand manipulation, or club manipulation before setup, I let the club loft do the work and setup near square (slightly open). Ball was lined up at my front foot (just inside) and an easy swing through. I call it a drop the hammer type of swing, because in reality, its just gravity taking over and you are dropping the club into the slot. Its a bit steep, but with the ball up in the stance, you are really splashing out in front of the ball and the ball came out exactly as I would like.

One thing I noticed is not digging my shoes in, and because of that, not having to worry about choking up, or choking down as I level myself above or below the ball. Something I always overlook especially when playing a course with bunkers that are not in the perfect shape or too soft. Just set up, find target, align slightly to the left of target with a slightly open stance (very slight) and let the club and bounce do the work. Not a single thin in the bunch (which has been my miss) and the results were exceptional.

I will be practicing this again next week with far more than 24 balls.

That sounds similar to the way Stan Utley teaches the bunker shot.

My short game is slightly below average. Obviously, the short game is where one can save alot of strokes off their score. Hitting shots off good lies is a start to get your confidence back. Most of the time, our ball will land in not so perfect spots on the course. I would suggest JB, hitting some balls from good lies and some others from horrible lies. Bunker shots are the most unpredictable. If we only had the time during the day to practice like we want. If I only knew what grip to use when putting...ugh. Regular, left hand low, or the claw?

Keep at it JB. Keep us posted on how you're doing.

Just got back from a nice 45 minute range session/short game session. I was checking out the practice area of a different club (still a golf cart ride away) in the neighborhood and wanted to work on some shots. One of the things I noticed my last two rounds is that I am leaving myself a bit short on mundane/routine pitch shots. Each time over the last few rounds, I had left myself short. Now leaving it below the hole is a good thing, but 6-7 feet below the hole is not.

So I took my basket of 36 balls and headed to the chipping green. Plopped myself down with a straight uphill chip and decided to do something a bit differently. I went with a higher lofted wedge (54 instead of 50) and I know it sounds backwards. But with my stroke and the shot I am playing being one that releases and rolls to the cup, I wanted to maximize a bit more time in the air before rolling out.

What I found was that I was still coming up a bit short. The two shots were doing virtually the same thing distance wise and one was running out a bit more while the other hung in the air a bit more. So that tells me its not the club, and I dont believe its technique, it just comes with getting back out there and judging distance. With the courses we have been playing having very quick greens, I think it might be something about being a bit gunshy of not wanting to leave myself the down hill 5 footer coming back.

So I grabbed my golf balls and decided to hit 6 more and make an effort to get everything past the hole. I made 1 of them when trying this and the other 5 still were short of the pin, but only by a couple of feet. So it is a perception that I had known for a while and relate it to something a wise instructor once told me. Amateur golfers leave it short more than 75% of the time (Im sure he made that stat up) with approach shots, putts, chips and drives. It comes from our ability to think we hit it further than we do and even then not counting spin, release, wind, lie, uphill, etc... Basically, not a malicious factor, but one from not understanding and I am full on proof of that today.

More coming this weekend as I head out there multiple times for practice.

Interesting feedback there, and the 75% short # does kind of stick out. I think to my last session and the first 17 balls I hit, I recall the first 2 going long past the hole and then everything else was either pin high or short, not a single one past the hole again.

While its still been an improvement for me, I certainly want to fine tune it as much as possible and will have to make a conscious effort of at least trying to get the ball to the hole.

Totally agree JB and that is something I'm working on as well, with both the chips and the putts. I'm even finding when I force myself to hit it harder than what I think it should take to get it there, I end up about pin high or just past the hole.

So it sounds like no matter which club you choose, between those two wedges at least, with the same swing you're getting the same distance. That's an interesting finding, as it would seem to lead to the conclusion that the main role club selection would play is how much carry you need or want. It sounds deceivingly simple.

So it sounds like no matter which club you choose, between those two wedges at least, with the same swing you're getting the same distance. That's an interesting finding, as it would seem to lead to the conclusion that the main role club selection would play is how much carry you need or want. It sounds deceivingly simple.

For this particular shot yes. I am a big believer in club selection when playing different shots however.

And I really think over the next few weeks I want to tinker more with different wedges greenside and see what kind of results I see with my stroke. Right now its all been 58 from fairway and rough (have only practiced from 13 yards and in), but perhaps I find something else that works better for me (just as you are experimenting).

I have been noticing the same thing JB when it comes to chips/pitches. I don't know if I expect them to release more or what but I just haven't been able to get the ball to the hole on a consistent basis. I need to focus on this at my next practice session. Thanks for the reminder.

For this particular shot yes. I am a big believer in club selection when playing different shots however.

As am I, but I am also guilty of overthinking it on some shots.

Is it worth it to go to a less lofted club? Like a 9 or PW? This may not fit the shot you were wanting to play originally, but wouldn't there be some more roll on these for you? Being up hill, you could probably still get some of the check you desire too. Just a thought.

JM

Is it worth it to go to a less lofted club? Like a 9 or PW? This may not fit the shot you were wanting to play originally, but wouldn't there be some more roll on these for you? Being up hill, you could probably still get some of the check you desire too. Just a thought.

JM

Absolutely it is IMO. Carry distance plays a big part as well for me. I'll often be off the green chipping with a 8i. Often times with much better results than a 54*.

Creativity is key.

Absolutely it is IMO. Carry distance plays a big part as well for me. I'll often be off the green chipping with a 8i. Often times with much better results than a 54*.

Creativity is key.

Helps to judge the lie, the slope, all those important little details. 8i can be the play, so can trying to take out your left eye with a flop. Personally I hate the latter, because it's such a pain in the neck to judge the speed of the swing needed to get the height, but not the distance. Makes what Phil does even more impressive at times.

JM

Creativity is key.

Helps to judge the lie, the slope, all those important little details. 8i can be the play, so can trying to take out your left eye with a flop. Personally I hate the latter, because it's such a pain in the neck to judge the speed of the swing needed to get the height, but not the distance. Makes what Phil does even more impressive at times.

Wardy said it best.

Wardy said it best.

Oh, I know its worth it, at least it is for me. I was just asking if you had considered it, but I see that you have. Good deal.

Thanks,

JM

I do find myself leaving a lot of my chips short as well, especially when I use wedges.

This is a great call, Wardy told me to play a chip with an 8I off the slope in the Modified Pinehurst format at Lake Charles and it was definitely my best chip of the day. I think I left him with a 5 footer past the hole.

Just got back from a nice 45 minute range session/short game session. I was checking out the practice area of a different club (still a golf cart ride away) in the neighborhood and wanted to work on some shots. One of the things I noticed my last two rounds is that I am leaving myself a bit short on mundane/routine pitch shots. Each time over the last few rounds, I had left myself short. Now leaving it below the hole is a good thing, but 6-7 feet below the hole is not.

So I took my basket of 36 balls and headed to the chipping green. Plopped myself down with a straight uphill chip and decided to do something a bit differently. I went with a higher lofted wedge (54 instead of 50) and I know it sounds backwards. But with my stroke and the shot I am playing being one that releases and rolls to the cup, I wanted to maximize a bit more time in the air before rolling out.

What I found was that I was still coming up a bit short. The two shots were doing virtually the same thing distance wise and one was running out a bit more while the other hung in the air a bit more. So that tells me its not the club, and I dont believe its technique, it just comes with getting back out there and judging distance. With the courses we have been playing having very quick greens, I think it might be something about being a bit gunshy of not wanting to leave myself the down hill 5 footer coming back.

So I grabbed my golf balls and decided to hit 6 more and make an effort to get everything past the hole. I made 1 of them when trying this and the other 5 still were short of the pin, but only by a couple of feet. So it is a perception that I had known for a while and relate it to something a wise instructor once told me. Amateur golfers leave it short more than 75% of the time (Im sure he made that stat up) with approach shots, putts, chips and drives. It comes from our ability to think we hit it further than we do and even then not counting spin, release, wind, lie, uphill, etc... Basically, not a malicious factor, but one from not understanding and I am full on proof of that today.

You've got me thinking now, JB. Going to try this strategy out in my round today. Good stuff.

JM

Agree with Wardy too, the lie is going to help determine what club you should be using (or could be using). I've been practicing a lot with my 60 degree wedge around the greens, hitting a bump and run shot, but using it because it has more bounce on it than my other wedges and can get through a tight lie fairly well.

Agree with Wardy too, the lie is going to help determine what club you should be using (or could be using). I've been practicing a lot with my 60 degree wedge around the greens, hitting a bump and run shot, but using it because it has more bounce on it than my other wedges and can get through a tight lie fairly well.

Once I started gaming a 60 it was what I always used around the green, but lately I've been going back and forth between my 60 and 52. I tried a 9/PW a few times, just didn't really work for me.

This is very interesting to me. Lately I have been trying to make sure I don't leave and chips or putts short. It has left me much closer to my target and a few go in that I never expected.

I do find myself leaving a lot of my chips short as well, especially when I use wedges.

This is a great call, Wardy told me to play a chip with an 8I off the slope in the Modified Pinehurst format at Lake Charles and it was definitely my best chip of the day. I think I left him with a 5 footer past the hole.

Shame someone had to drain a 20-25ft putt right on top of us haha

Once I started gaming a 60 it was what I always used around the green, but lately I've been going back and forth between my 60 and 52. I tried a 9/PW a few times, just didn't really work for me.

When I have plenty of grass under my shots, it really frees me up to use a lot of other clubs in the bag. But I'm learning on tight lies to use clubs with bounce, at least with my swing.

I recently came to know of the "Rule of 12". Does anyone here use that method for their chipping.

It's a way to figure out ratios of roll/flight distance.

For example:

You're 10 paces off the green and the flag is 20 paces on. If you want to maximize the roll distance by flying to the edge of the green and rolling 20 paces you'll use a PW.

12 - 10 (PW) = 2 (2 to 1 roll distance to flight distance)

Back