The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
My poor round taught me something today..my feet move a lot on poor shots. After 18 I worked on keeping my feet quiet and started to hit some decent shots. Also I was struggling with half wedge shots. I was pulling everything from a full GW to a half 58 and it's very frustrating. Still working on a fix for that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Chin up man chin up You got this! Let me know when you got time for a range session and we can work out some week day work or something.

My poor round taught me something today..my feet move a lot on poor shots. After 18 I worked on keeping my feet quiet and started to hit some decent shots. Also I was struggling with half wedge shots. I was pulling everything from a full GW to a half 58 and it's very frustrating. Still working on a fix for that.

Keep your head up and keep working. That is all we can do. Dedication will get us through rough patches
#thegrindisreal

Funny you talk about your lower body giving you issues Andy. I had just an absolute terrible range session today. I had ZERO tempo and it's all because I couldn't keep my lower body quiet at all. I tried so hard and it just wouldn't work for me. No matter what I tried to do to fix it I just couldn't.

Had a frustrating range session last night and tonight where my ball striking is really solid but the accuracy I need just wasn't there.
I knew what I was doing wrong but just couldn't get my body to correct it.

Hit the range after a long day of work when all I wanted to do was shower and go to bed. Thank goodness for heated bays, but they opened up the grass range so had to go out and hit a few there as well. Overall pretty pleased with all the clubs as well as the 1/2 and 3/4 shots tonight. Woods were behaving pretty well too, good session for the most part. Had some video taken and after watching it, can see some things that I didn't notice as well as other parts not improved as much as I thought.

Took three each of the 9I-7I and 4I swings to end out the bucket. Leaving, the guy next to me asks if I'm trying to take down a satellite. Since the 4I was the last to be put back, I'm sure he wasn't talking about that one, or was he...lol. All in good fun.

Keep your head up and keep working. That is all we can do. Dedication will get us through rough patches
#thegrindisreal

Thanks kang, I'm expecting better results today!

Funny you talk about your lower body giving you issues Andy. I had just an absolute terrible range session today. I had ZERO tempo and it's all because I couldn't keep my lower body quiet at all. I tried so hard and it just wouldn't work for me. No matter what I tried to do to fix it I just couldn't.

It was weird and a bad habit that I hadn't seen in a while. In an attempt to "hit harder/farther" I start moving my lower body and surprise surprise the opposite happens.

Lesson scheduled for wednesday

Planning on hitting the range to work on irons tomorrow
Hopefully some golf on Saturday AM
and then short game work on Monday

Told him in my text we need to kick the prep into overdrive, time is flying by.

Glad you're actually to get out there after all this time.

Glad you're actually to get out there after all this time.

Yeah been spotty off and on the past 3 weeks, seemed the nice days were always when Im working and just a lot of personal stuff going on.

After next week my thursday evenings will be opened back up which will make the practice and lessons a little easier.

With 3 THP events in May going on I cant bank on weekends so gotta make due with the time I have

Same here. Weather has just been unreliable. You guys have had it worse though.

Same here. Weather has just been unreliable. You guys have had it worse though.

No doubt, even if I can get some swings in with the kids running around the practice green at this point anything will help, and make it much easier to get 3-4 range sessions in per week. Just hoping at some point they are successful ones.

I do miss playing, 9 holes since April 1 is kind of lame

Went out to the range and spent about an hour putting. Then hit a large bucket noting carry distances with swing caddie

You know when you can feel that you're going to have a good range session. Well today was one of those. Got off work, misting out, and head to the course. Pull up and decide that is coming down enough to warrant a rain jacket, but I am just happy to be getting out. The boys in the pro shop give me that look, like I'm one of those crazy hacks, which may be true. Fine by me. I get out to the range, rain picking up a little, and proceed to have one of the best practices in a long time. I was strictly working on full swings with the wedges, and having some really great results in the slop.
I was going to head over to the chipping area for a while, but decided not to push my luck with this rain and my aching elbow.
Hope to have a good round on Saturday now. I think a may have seen something today that I can take forward in my game.
ytu5a9uh.jpg

Made some progress today, at least I was able to hit some good 9 iron shots today along with my 54 degree wedge. I still can't hit my 7 iron worth a crap, it's frustrating.

Also frustrating: it was never over 40 degrees out on the range today. I have to keep telling myself that I can't expect my normal yardages and have to trust the direction of the ball and the quality of the strike to tell me if I'm hitting it well. However, it's still hard to look at a ball that I know I hit well and it just doesn't go anywhere.

I had a very positive day between my range session and some putting work on the mat at home. Swing was much better today with what seemed to be far less movement. Hitting some nice draws with the longer irons and full wedge swing with the 60* were straight and all in a nice little group. Only issue today was that the impact was all over the face of club and in no real pattern. I haven't worked on my putting for a couple of weeks, yet when I checked my set-up and posture today with the mirror, everything looked very good. I can't wait until the course opens in a few days and I can see where my game is really at.

My range session went very, very well today. I don't think yardages were to accurate there, but I do know one thing and that is I was crushing the ball. Maybe it was a little bit of wind off the right for me, but I was hitting straight shots that would then draw a tad with the wind. I need to get on a LM ASAP at a range to get distances for my irons, but suffice to say I was grooving them well. Used Playdough's field goal drill l . l and really benefitted from getting a visual of where the ball should start. Short game area also went very well, MXM Versa is going to be a beast for me. Speed is no longer an issue, everything was a foot past the cup today and I usually come up a foot short over going long. Yes!

I was cookin the woods today, I started with the 54* wedge and went to the 5 iron, 3 iron, 3 wood, and driver. The wedge distances were about 5 yds off but I think it's because of the lack of practice this winter, the trajectory was perfect. The 3 wood was on like donkey kong today, I haven't hit it that well in quite some time and something someone had said about me crowding the ball was bothering me a little because he was right (thanks Capt) I backed up and inch which pushed my butt out a little more and it actually opened the right side up so I could clear my hips a little better, the result was a towering and piercing ball flight that didn't look like it wanted to come down. Interesting to say the least, I'm going to give it a go with the rest of the clubs and put in some work so I can make sure that move becomes repeatable, I think it will stand up even better under pressure.

I was cookin the woods today, I started with the 54* wedge and went to the 5 iron, 3 iron, 3 wood, and driver. The wedge distances were about 5 yds off but I think it's because of the lack of practice this winter, the trajectory was perfect. The 3 wood was on like donkey kong today, I haven't hit it that well in quite some time and something someone had said about me crowding the ball was bothering me a little because he was right (thanks Capt) I backed up and inch which pushed my butt out a little more and it actually opened the right side up so I could clear my hips a little better, the result was a towering and piercing ball flight that didn't look like it wanted to come down. Interesting to say the least, I'm going to give it a go with the rest of the clubs and put in some work so I can make sure that move becomes repeatable, I think it will stand up even better under pressure.

I love Capt tips! Keep up the good work buddy!

Range today. I'm searching. I will hit 4 in a row like butter and then toe, and then fat, and then thin. I'm missing something minor, just can't find it.

I went to a neighboring course to get in some range time on grass. We're still on mats at my course. There actually wasn't a lot of grass on theirs though. But, I got in a great session. I went through most of the irons and worked on trying to hit a tight draw with my driver. The irons were really good, but the draw wasn't working well off my driver. I hit it fine, just straight as arrow. The last session I was able to draw it pretty much on demand.

Had lunch in their grill and decided to play 18; went out and shot a miserable 89. Sitting here pondering what went wrong, I came up with a theory. I've been taking lessons every week, for the last four weeks. All the changes we've made have been small, subtle changes. When I'm on the range, all I'm trying to do is repeat the swing with the current change(s). Of course, I'm looking at targets and distances, but, they're not my primary focus. When I'm playing, I am thinking of all of the above--distance, lie, wind, hazards and the swing changes. Most of the time it is working, sometimes it isn't. I mean I hit some great shots today, but some occasional ratty ones cost me dearly. What do you think? Just need more reps?

Range practice on the short game. Worked on various shots all around the green & felt good knowing I can execute the shots. What I found the most interesting was how versatile my 50* can be. Tie down, slightly open or slightly closed I learned how each trajectory can work. Having never done that was eye opening.

I went to a neighboring course to get in some range time on grass. We're still on mats at my course. There actually wasn't a lot of grass on theirs though. But, I got in a great session. I went through most of the irons and worked on trying to hit a tight draw with my driver. The irons were really good, but the draw wasn't working well off my driver. I hit it fine, just straight as arrow. The last session I was able to draw it pretty much on demand.

Had lunch in their grill and decided to play 18; went out and shot a miserable 89. Sitting here pondering what went wrong, I came up with a theory. I've been taking lessons every week, for the last four weeks. All the changes we've made have been small, subtle changes. When I'm on the range, all I'm trying to do is repeat the swing with the current change(s). Of course, I'm looking at targets and distances, but, they're not my primary focus. When I'm playing, I am thinking of all of the above--distance, lie, wind, hazards and the swing changes. Most of the time it is working, sometimes it isn't. I mean I hit some great shots today, but some occasional ratty ones cost me dearly. What do you think? Just need more reps?

Yup until it's out of the brain and into the muscles ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm going through a bit of the same Ken. If I get to thinking about the swing changes my instructor has me working on out on the course I don't always hit the best shots. Just too much thinking sometimes. I need to do better about working on the changes on the range during the warm up session but letting the thoughts go out on the course and just "trust" that what I worked on during the warmup will stay with me.

Didn't have time to make it to the range but I did sneak down to the basement and work on nothing but takeaway. Imagined there was an object directly behind the ball I was pushing straight back.

Did it nonstop for about 20 minutes, gotta make that my norm to help keep me from being too far inside.

Just worked on shots with my 58° in the backyard tonight. Working on pitches, chips, and flops.

My MD2 with a U grind is just amazing. Any way you take a shot with it, it performs. Face wide open, just a bit open, square, it doesn't matter just set it and forget it! Haha. It's just nice to have a club in the bag I know will perform every time with little to no effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back