2014 Morgan Cup - Qualifying Criteria

To put it into perspective, from similar distances, the Parkview course has a slope of about 105. Caledonia has a slope of 134. These playing from similar distances of the 6000-6100 range. Caledonia moved back to 6500 and the slope is 140.

So basically when I play Parkview its like putt putt compared to Caledonia. Say I enjoy the tougher lick creek course better because it really makes you have to hit great dou's our you'll be in tough situations. But thanks for bringing this all to my perspective so I can really see what I need to be working on. :)

Course management will do wonders for your game. Perfect example, Course I played last weekend starts out with a 571 yard par 5, it dog leg left's at 310 yards, very gradually and then the green is uphill the last 190 or so yards. I hit my drive about 240 down the right side of the fairway. I made a conscious effort to not try to go for this green in two because it basically impossible unless you can pull out a 330 yard drive. So I pull 5i and just put a nice easy swing that got me to about 125 yards, and then PW into the green, and I parred the son of a gun. I think last year, I parred it only once in probably 10 tries. First time I play it this year, parred it right out of the gate. I put it solely on course management and not trying to pull off a low percentage shot. Just being cognizant about that will help a ton.

I agree, go for the tougher courses. If you can manage the course well and play smart, you may still shoot higher scores but still lower your index because of the higher difficulty. I've actually found it easier to keep a handicap down on a tougher course. Because you HAVE to shoot well at an easy course, while at a tougher one you can post a higher score and still be ok.

I agree, go for the tougher courses. If you can manage the course well and play smart, you may still shoot higher scores but still lower your index because of the higher difficulty. I've actually found it easier to keep a handicap down on a tougher course. Because you HAVE to shoot well at an easy course, while at a tougher one you can post a higher score and still be ok.

Agree completely. I think there is a bit of a flaw in the rating/slope system because this seems to happen all to often to me. My home course is a 71/137 from the blues or something so even an off day doesn't raise the cap too much, whereas a bad day at a simple track gives me a differential of 16 or something crazy.
In general I've noticed that guys who play tougher courses will on average have lower caps.

Yeah, that's what I am going to start to do now. Plus with me practicing and I need to play more there so I can get ready for a county tournament that they are going to be have there. Also it's up and down there so I always get a nice work out which is good for me sitting on my butt on the computer all day. If it helps me getting my handicap down, than I am all for it. That's what I am trying to do and I need to be below 18 right now.

To put it into perspective, from similar distances, the Parkview course has a slope of about 105. Caledonia has a slope of 134. These playing from similar distances of the 6000-6100 range. Caledonia moved back to 6500 and the slope is 140.

That's a mean 6500 right there if the slope is 140. I just can't wait to get out there and play it

At 6500+ yards, I won't be able to reach most par fours in regulation.

Plenty of time to work with instructor and gain distance if that is a goal.
To be fair, I dont believe we will be playing singles from that distance, but we wont be playing singles from 6100 yards either. The other rounds are team based.

I am a short hitter also. Part of what I working on with my instructor is adding some extra length. The beauty of the event is you will be partnered on Saturday with someone who can so focus on your strengths. Also on Sunday you will be matched up against someone of equal skill lever (for the most part) so just focus on your game and what you do well and let everything else take care of itself.

I think it depends on the course too. True Blue gets a lot of its distance from par 5's. Some long-ish par 4's, but it's not as bad as it sounds. Doglegs help too.

I am a short hitter also. Part of what I working on with my instructor is adding some extra length. The beauty of the event is you will be partnered on Saturday with someone who can so focus on your strengths. Also on Sunday you will be matched up against someone of equal skill lever (for the most part) so just focus on your game and what you do well and let everything else take care of itself.

This is not accurate.
This is why for 6 months we have been preaching to work hard and be at the best you can be.

This is not accurate.
This is why for 6 months we have been preaching to work hard and be at the best you can be.

Hence the (for the most part). I doubt a scratch golfer will be matched up with a 15 handicap.

Edit: Nevermind, somehow the fact its a random draw escaped me.

I think it depends on the course too. True Blue gets a lot of its distance from par 5's. Some long-ish par 4's, but it's not as bad as it sounds. Doglegs help too.

yup, IIRC the whites are just a shade under 6400 yards. But it's a course you can manage well on and still score. Heck 2 of my career bests were shot on that course and I'm not a long hitter by any means.

Hence the (for the most part). I doubt a scratch golfer will be matched up with a 15 handicap.

happened last year. Always be prepared.

Caledonia plays pretty long for a short course though.

Edit: Nevermind, somehow the fact its a random draw escaped me.

Get ready for our sunday single match Ricky. Don't try and avoid it.

Caledonia plays pretty long for a short course though.

JB, didn't we play the back tees there for the Alt. shot in the PM? If so, that was just about 6,500 yards if I remember right?!

JB, didn't we play the back tees there for the Alt. shot in the PM? If so, that was just about 6,500 yards if I remember right?!

Think we played middle. Back tees would've pushed us behind some water teeing off on par 4's (14 for example).

I think the back tee was only used on 18. Otherwise I thought it was straight blue tee

Think we played middle. Back tees would've pushed us behind some water teeing off on par 4's (14 for example).

I don't think we ever palyed Caledonia from the back tees. I thought we played them from 6100ish.

I think the back tee was only used on 18. Otherwise I thought it was straight blue tee

Hummmm, I thought in our practice round on Thursday we played the up tees cause we thought it would be there for Friday's match but then it ended up being a tee set from behind what we played. 6,100 yards sounds really short. I just can't remember.

Another thing to think about when it comes to considering Caledonia and length... It's a par 70 with three par 5s and 5 par 3s, one of which is a 110 yarder.

I didn't find it terribly long from where we played, but it certainly does not play like your standard 6,100 yard par 72.

As best I can remember from playing it, that course will eat you alive from whatever distance if you are not keeping the ball in front of you, so I plan to be ready for whatever yardage is in front of me for sure! Love that course though.

JM

Back