I am beginning to worry if my left shoulder will ever be fine. Developed some tendinitis in my left shoulder back in December and it first flared up at the #grandaddy. Some days I swing without pain and other days my shoulder feels tight and week. The doctor said there is no structural damage to my rotator cuff or muscles so it is really just about pain management and limiting overuse.

Shortening my backswing can definitely help take some stress off the shoulder, but I am wondering if there is anything else I can do. I know I was fit into heavier iron shafts and when I am loose and pain free they work wonders for me. I was completely unaware that this shoulder injury would be a long term thing and I am now wondering if a lighter shaft would take some stress off the shoulder.

I've broken my little toe on the right foot. Taped it up to the one next to it.. Hurts sometimes, but I'm still playing :)

Just when I start putting in some consistent work (range/course) my back starts giving me issues again. Very agitating.

I'm down for a while, it seems. I thought I just had golfer's elbow, but 2 weeks straight of rest and its no better at all. The aching pain has turned into burning now, so I guess I'll have to break down and go see the doctor.

I am beginning to worry if my left shoulder will ever be fine. Developed some tendinitis in my left shoulder back in December and it first flared up at the #grandaddy. Some days I swing without pain and other days my shoulder feels tight and week. The doctor said there is no structural damage to my rotator cuff or muscles so it is really just about pain management and limiting overuse.

Shortening my backswing can definitely help take some stress off the shoulder, but I am wondering if there is anything else I can do. I know I was fit into heavier iron shafts and when I am loose and pain free they work wonders for me. I was completely unaware that this shoulder injury would be a long term thing and I am now wondering if a lighter shaft would take some stress off the shoulder.

Active release technique helped a great deal for my chronic shoulder and levator scapulae pain.

Back is pretty toasted at 45yo (moderate L4-S1 disk degeneration), been going on for 18 mos but won't go away no matter the physio and stretching. Obviously can't practice much - so I'll have to get better at putting/chipping to score any points. 3 days at the range and a weekly round? nope. 1 range, 1 round per month is about all I do now and my scores are horrible and I'm sure my 11-12-now 13 is gonna be 16-18hcp by the end of the year. However, my knees still feel great though even after 2007 right knee (lateral/posterior meniscus and mcl) surgery so there's that.

Be careful with those injuries in your 20's/30's they come back in your 40's and never leave. Meh!

Last edited:
I am now wondering if a lighter shaft would take some stress off the shoulder.

Sorry to hear about this Joe. Just getting over a minor rotator cuff tear myself. Funny that golf didn't irritate it, but throwing a ball was rough.

My clubs are D0 with 70g shafts. If you'd like to try them and see if there is any difference in your shoulder, you're welcome to.

I had shoulder surgery in January on my left shoulder and so far this year that shoulder has had no issues and feels great. The problem is my right shoulder has been fairly sore by the 16th hole the two rounds I played Sunday and Monday and I also felt pain in it over spring break. I really hope its just tight muscles.

50-yr old here - starting to have all kinds of aches and pains. Walked 36 holes the other week and it nearly took 2-3 days to feel normal. Also, my course installed some mats at the driving range, and I think I picked up a mild case of golfer's elbow (also made a swing change on the backswing, so that might have caused it)......don't get old. You start to break down unfortunately.

50-yr old here - starting to have all kinds of aches and pains. Walked 36 holes the other week and it nearly took 2-3 days to feel normal. Also, my course installed some mats at the driving range, and I think I picked up a mild case of golfer's elbow (also made a swing change on the backswing, so that might have caused it)......don't get old. You start to break down unfortunately.

Just wait until you have to replace worn out parts ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw this the other day..... "I woke up without pain this morning. I thought I had died"!

I see lighter weight clubs have been mentioned above. Being my arm and shoulder is messed up, I have decided to go to the lightest driver I can find to save wear and tear....

After reading this thread I suddenly have a throbbing pain in my arse! Yuk! Yuk!

At 75 years old, the best things I have found for relieving my multiple pains are a couple of acetaminophen, and a good round of golf.

"Coming Soon"

"Coming Soon"

TG: Hate to say it but "You ain't seen nothing yet"!!

Time to stock up on Heat Pads, Ice Bags, Foot and back massagers, a Jacuzzi, Etc., Etc..

In all probability it is not so much the game as it is "getting old".

Take it from a 75 year old who is still going strong (but intermittently).

Anybody ever have issues with pain in their knuckles?

The knuckle at the base of my middle finger has been hurting quite a bit now for weeks, especially after practice sessions. Sort of coincides with my move to a stronger grip. Based on the calluses I have on my hands I know I'm gripping too tightly, so will try to see if I can lighten that.

Anybody ever have issues with pain in their knuckles?

The knuckle at the base of my middle finger has been hurting quite a bit now for weeks, especially after practice sessions. Sort of coincides with my move to a stronger grip. Based on the calluses I have on my hands I know I'm gripping too tightly, so will try to see if I can lighten that.

I battle it constantly, left hand, I've actually got a cyst that has built up between the middle and ring finger knuckles there, started as pain at the middle finger base knuckle. Thought it was tendonitis for a while, it's a marble like cyst though. Waiting until after the MC to get t drained.

Shoot. I did some reading about it and it sounded like rest was a good route to go. Not going to happen though. Mentioned cortisone as well, but we'll have to see how bad it gets. Worse when I hit off mats, but never good.

Shoot. I did some reading about it and it sounded like rest was a good route to go. Not going to happen though. Mentioned cortisone as well, but we'll have to see how bad it gets. Worse when I hit off mats, but never good.

I rank hand/wrist pain right there with back and knee pain, I despise it.

Tried to get Amanda to drain mine, she reminded me what part of the body she works on and I changed my mind. Hahaha

I battle it constantly, left hand, I've actually got a cyst that has built up between the middle and ring finger knuckles there, started as pain at the middle finger base knuckle. Thought it was tendonitis for a while, it's a marble like cyst though. Waiting until after the MC to get t drained.

I get a little hard nodule at the base of my left index finger. It sounds a little like what you guys are talking about. It can be very sore. It eventually goes away if I change my grip slightly to take the pressure off of it and remember to grip a little less tightly. Takes awhile though.

I've been having nasty pains in my right elbow this last week. I chunked a shot last weekend and it sent this stinger up my arm and since then my elbow has really hurt. I've never had elbow pain ever, is this the golf / tennis elbow people talk about? Hurts to fully extend my arm and the pain is right near the base but will sometimes extend down my arm.

Pain from golf or any form of exercise has caught up with me in my older age, something crops up and it take what seems like forever to get back.

I've currently got plantar fasciitis (foot arch strain), mainly from taking up running this year and it flares up after I've played a round of golf no mater if I walk or ride. I'm stopping the running for a month as well as any gym work that involves lifting or pressure on the foot to see if that helps. Still going to play golf though!

Golf elbow, had it a few years ago and used on of those bands that place pressure on the tendon and it worked, though ultimately rest was the ticket. Now its back, though I think I've over done it at the gym to be honest, just the golf is highlighting it a bit more. Its not as painful as it was last time so I've reduced the weights at the gym to something lighter. For the record, Tennis & Golf elbow are tow different things.

I had a rotator cuff injury that took over a year to get right where I was feeling no pain and man was that painful, its as most pain I've ever had.

Older age sucks a bit if only because it takes longer to recover from these aches and pains, a bit of yoga and suitable balance and stretching work is helping though.

Not a pity party, but just so it's out there. Much worse things going on for others I know.

Hand is effed up enough that I'll need surgery. Boxers knuckle without the boxing. Basically my extensor tendon that runs on the top of the hand to the tip of the middle finger is detached from whatever connects it to the knuckle, which means that it slides on the side of my knuckle with the hand closed. Sooo, every time I close the hand it's like plucking a banjo string. Explains why it hurts so much.

I can play through the MC, albeit it pain, though I should get some sort of help there w medicine. Dr recommended the surgery right after the event, which may or may not happen. Has to be done sometime though. Besides the pain, the finger may quit working. How will I flip off slow players.

Technically occurring on both hands, but only causing pain in the lefty.

Not a pity party, but just so it's out there. Much worse things going on for others I know.

Hand is effed up enough that I'll need surgery. Boxers knuckle without the boxing. Basically my extensor tendon that runs on the top of the hand to the tip of the middle finger is detached from whatever connects it to the knuckle, which means that it slides on the side of my knuckle with the hand closed. Sooo, every time I close the hand it's like plucking a banjo string. Explains why it hurts so much.

I can play through the MC, albeit it pain, though I should get some sort of help there w medicine. Dr recommended the surgery right after the event, which may or may not happen. Has to be done sometime though. Besides the pain, the finger may quit working. How will I flip off slow players.

Technically occurring on both hands, but only causing pain in the lefty.

Wait so both hands need surgery?

Eventually, yea. Just a matter of time before righty takes a turn for the worse he says. I will likely wait on that though.

Eventually, yea. Just a matter of time before righty takes a turn for the worse he says. I will likely wait on that though.

Damn dude. That sucks.

Who am I gonna golf with on Sundays =(

Hopefully me lol. He said about a month+ off with it being immobile and then PT. I really would like to wait until the season is wrapped up, but it's going to depend on how bad the MC tears it up.

Back