Wilson Staff D100 ES Hybrid/Iron Set Review Thread

Hawk

Master Painter
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Extreme perimeter weighting through Exoskeleton Technology™ drives this integrated hybrid-iron set. Designed for the ultimate Distance (D) player wanting maximum distance and forgiveness, the D100 ES set utilizes The Right Light Technology allowing players to swing faster with the same effort.

GripWilson Staff Tour Traction
Shaft OptionsMatrix OZIK Altus 5.6 (hybrids), True Temper SL-85 & Matrix Studio 6.1 (irons)
Flex OptionsS, R (steel) & S, R, A (graphite)
Player CategoryDistance
HandRH, LH
Set Makeup4, 5, 6 hybrids & 7-PW, GW irons

The latest max game improvement set from Wilson Staff, the D100 ES combines hybrids and oversized irons to provide more distance and help with misses. Stock setup is a 4-6 hybrid and 7-GW configuration, but there is a 5 iron, 6 iron, or SW available by custom order. Price is $599 steel and $699 graphite.

The set I'll be testing is the stock setup noted above with the Matrix Studio 6.1 graphite shaft (65g) in the irons and Matrix OZIK Altus 5.6 (61g) shaft in the hybrids. Had them out on the range today and will have some thoughts eventually, but for now you can check out a few pics.

DSCN4682-L.jpg

DSCN4683-L.jpg

DSCN4684-L.jpg

DSCN4685-L.jpg

DSCN4687-L.jpg

DSCN4693-L.jpg

DSCN4697-L.jpg

That is a BIG hybo. Wow.

Beefy irons. ..looking forward to your thoughts and comparisons

• Staff
That is a BIG hybo. Wow.

Beefy irons. ..looking forward to your thoughts and comparisons

The hybrid is definitely very large. Face-on pic didn't turn out very good, but it's quite deep and long heel-toe. Irons are pretty normal compared the other SGI sets I've seen this year, but certainly oversized.

• Staff
Matrix studio iron shafts? Very interesting! Are they predominately white?

They are. White/Red.

Again, tried to get a pic and it didn't turn out very good, so to the delete file! Rain drops made me take fast pics today.

These irons are big, but I thought the di11 was big too and those were some good sticks.

They are. White/Red.

Again, tried to get a pic and it didn't turn out very good, so to the delete file! Rain drops made me take fast pics today.

Now I can see all the pics
..love the matrix stock shafts too

Interested to see how these compare to the altitudes?⛳

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The back of these irons look pretty nice, seems like there is a bunch of design improvement across all the OEM's to give some functional aesthetic appeal to them. I agree with James....that Hybo is beefy! Looks about the size of my 5 wood. The white shafts are pretty sweet looking as they make up to the hosel too.

They are. White/Red.

Sure is a good looking shaft. Is it high spin/launch? I'm trying to find info and can't.

For someone who works relatively hard to generate driver spin (I thought I read about this a while ago), what do you usually look for in an iron shaft?

That is a big hybo, but I like the looks of these. If these are better than the DI-11's, then I could see lot of golfers benefiting from them.

Sure is a good looking shaft. Is it high spin/launch? I'm trying to find info and can't.

For someone who works relatively hard to generate driver spin (I thought I read about this a while ago), what do you usually look for in an iron shaft?

They characterize it that way - high launch and mid-high spin. Typically I like something easy to load and higher launch spin in the 100-ish gram range, so this is a little lighter than I'm used to, but it seemed like something I could use pretty well in limited testing today.

The least appealing part of those irons happens to be the part we don't see, that flange like thing on the sole. But as has been said many other times in regard to many other irons, who cares what it looks like if you can hit it?

They characterize it that way - high launch and mid-high spin. Typically I like something easy to load and higher launch spin in the 100-ish gram range, so this is a little lighter than I'm used to, but it seemed like something I could use pretty well in limited testing today.

I've noticed the stability factor of many of the stiff graphite shafts I've demoed over the last year have improved tremendously, even those with higher launching profiles.

Hopefully you experience much of the same.

Thems some big mombas, but pretty as well. Long, high flying, straight shooters, what more could you need!

HTC M8

As I mentioned, I did get some swings in with this set tonight. Just used the 8 iron and 5 hybrid as I was pressed on time and needed to hit a bunch of stuff, but probably spent the most time with these.

High balls are definitely on the table with these. Just a crazy-steep climbing trajectory with the 8 iron that appeared to have some nice distance. It was hard to gauge exact distance due to some wind and since the flags at this range were either too far or too close for the iron, but it seemed like I was seeing comparable distance to what I'd expect when I'm there.

Surprisingly pleasant feel from the iron. I'm not sure what I expected, but the mixture of the graphite shaft and softer-than expected sound at impact left me pretty impressed.

Definitely an easy iron to swing. Nothing about the shaft really stood out to me, other than how good it looked and that it felt pretty light. Dispersion was hard to gauge, thanks to a 20mph crosswind that was heading in the direction of my normal shot shape, but I'd say it was reasonably consistent at least. Again though, this was just a first getting-to-know-you session.

The hybrid I wasn't so keen on. As noted above, it's a very large hybrid, which is fine as I creep down into the lower lofts, but in the 5 slot there just seemed to be a sense of overkill. I didn't hit it nearly as well as I expected to, but I'm not afraid to say that first impressions are often not the same as my thoughts after a few sessions. Forgiveness did seem good and the distance was there for the most part when I caught it well. Higher ball flight, but nothing out of this world for me.

I like the irons a lot. The hybrids, not so much.

Wilson Staff D100 ES Hybrid/Iron Set Review Thread

Pretty jealous you get to review these bad boys Hawk. They are a quality set if sticks. I didn't find them overly obnoxious from a size standpoint when I hit them earlier in the year.

Pretty jealous you get to review these bad boys Hawk. They are a quality set if sticks. I didn't find them overly obnoxious from a size standpoint when I hit them earlier in the year.

Me either with the irons. I'll compare to the Karstens, but my impression is that they are similar in size to those for the most part. I can work with that.

These irons are big, but I thought the di11 was big too and those were some good sticks.

I was going to say that my initial thought when I saw these was "wow they look so much bigger than my Di11s". It's interesting they went with the hybrid route on this one, as I find my 4i-6i Di11s so much easier to hit than the X-20s I had previously. Of course that being said, that doesn't mean I hit them WELL either, and pulled the 4i out in favor of a 4h.

Do remember that a full iron set is available in the normal D100's too. To me, the irons look pretty similar.

I'm liking the looks of these and glad to see more combo sets hitting the market. Would have to hit that 5h to understand if it's too big or not.

Matrix graphite as stock is a big win IMO.

Me either with the irons. I'll compare to the Karstens, but my impression is that they are similar in size to those for the most part. I can work with that.

You are right about the hybrids though, feel like mini drivers up there, pretty deep face on them that sets up bad for me off the deck. Always feel like I am going to catch them thin, and once you have thought it, it usually happens.

Holy wideness batman, those are some thick toplines and soles. I'll be curious to hear how forgiving they are.

Back