Donald Trump buys Turnberry Golf Course and Resort

ddec

I have many leather-bound books
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
The Driver
The rumor of Trump buying Turnberry has seemingly gotten louder and louder over the last few days. Well today it's official, Donald Trump has purchased Turnberry Golf Course and Resort. Found this article from The Gaurdian with some quotes from Mr. Trump himself.

Donald Trump has confirmed his purchase of the iconic Turnberry resort and golf course in Ayrshire.The billionaire American, whose existing golf course project in Scotland has been overshadowed by a series of controversies, has bought Turnberry from the Dubai-based Leisurecorp.
The sum is undisclosed but Trump is believed to have paid considerably less than the £52m Leisurecorp bought the venue for in 2008. The subsequent economic crash effectively led to Turnberry being on the market immediately with Trump's name routinely linked with a buyout.
Within the last week, that speculation intensified with the deal now confirmed by Trump himself. Turnberry boasts a five-star hotel as well as three golf courses.
"It was an opportunity, as far as I was concerned," Trump told golf.com. "Turnberry is considered one of the greatest courses in the world. It's a special place. It's an important place.
"This is a fabulous property in a great location. We're going to bring a new level of luxury to the hotel. Our aim is to make it the finest golf hotel in the world."
Trump was uncharacteristically coy when asked if one of the most famous venues in golf will bear his name. "Trump Turnberry' has a nice ring to it, doesn't it?" he said. "We'll make that decision fairly soon. In a couple of days."
Turnberry was restored to the Open Championship rota in 2009 after earlier concerns about the infrastructure around the venue. Attendances at Turnberry Opens also tend to be low in comparison to other Open venues.
Still, the Royal & Ancient's outgoing chief executive, Peter Dawson, offered a public welcome to Trump's latest golfing move.
"Turnberry is a great favourite among the players and it's on the Open rota for sure," Dawson said. "Donald Trump is investing in golf properties in Great Britain and Ireland. He must have great faith in the future of the game, which is very heartening from a businessman of his stature.
"I'm quite sure if he does buy Turnberry, he will be putting a lot of investment in."
Trump was similarly upbeat about his relationship with the R&A, which promises to be a source of intrigue.
"Some of the greatest championships in the history of golf have taken place at Turnberry," he added. "And the golf course itself is considered one of the greatest in the world. Some rate it as the best in the world.
"I'm not going to touch a thing unless the Royal & Ancient ask for it or approve it. I have the greatest respect for the R&A and for Peter Dawson. I won't do anything to the golf course at all without their full stamp of approval."
Trump's newly-built International Links on the outskirts of Aberdeen has seen the businessman embroiled in high-profile rows with the local community and the Scottish government. A plan to place wind turbines within view of the course infuriated Trump to the extent that he took legal action in a bid to halt it. A court ruling went against Trump earlier this year.
As recently as last month, Trump insisted he would divert attention away from Scotland and towards the Doonbeg course he recently purchased in Ireland.
"I said until they give up that charade of these ugly turbines that kill all the birds and probably make people sick with the humming noise and just destroys the environment, until they give that up [we won't invest any more]," Trump said.
"We have our great course, you can't even get on it, it's so packed, it's phenomenal. And I said I'm going to build a second course and other things, when they abandon that nonsense of the wind farms.
"In the meantime, I bought Doonbeg, and I'm sure Scotland is not exactly thrilled about that; I can tell you for a fact they are not. I bought Doonbeg and I'm focusing our efforts on Doonbeg in terms of Europe. Doonbeg is going to be amazing."

So it seems he will finally host a major on one of his properties. Listening to PGA Radio the last few days there has been quite a bit of mixed reaction to this now confirmed rumor. What are your guys thoughts? Does it matter to you?

Trump always said his courses were good enough to host majors..... At least he finally has one in his portfolio

Proud Member of #TeamParadise

I am glad to see him say he wont do anything to it unless the R&A ask for it......he usually does a huge "redo" of the courses he buys.

I love Turnbery. If I had one fantasy course to play, that would be it. It doesn't sound like he wants to change anything (except adding his name maybe). I guess it's okay, I mean I probably couldn't afford to play there anyway so...

It really doesn't bother me either way. Knowing Trump he will make the amenities top notch and bring the experience up another level for those who can afford it. I hope he doesn't mess with the layout because I like Turnberry a lot.

Rumor is Rosie O'donnell has been hired as the 1st tee starter.

Good for him. I think he's done some great things with the properties he's bought in the past and am sure this will be no different.

Trump is the ultimate businessman. He's invest a ton of money into something if it benefits him. But put up ugly windmills and he's done.....? He'll put money into the hotel and won't change the golf course unless the R&A approve? What if they don't approve? Will he be done here too?

Honestly, I don't know if it's a good thing or a bad....

Big time money into a classic golf course. As long as he doesn't go in with bulldozers and start manipulating the course, I am glad to read about this.

I am glad to see him say he wont do anything to it unless the R&A ask for it......he usually does a huge "redo" of the courses he buys.

This was good to hear. Turnberry is an awesome golf course, and was my favorite of all the courses I played in Scotland on my "dream trip" a couple of years ago. I would hate to see anything major done to it. Some things are best left unchanged.

Despite all of his hot air, I've always enjoyed playing the courses he runs. I don't think he'll do anything dramatic to Turnberry, other than ratchet up the amenities, decor and prices.

Taps away

Kneejerk is bad. The man's ego is an open wound, and he won't be able to help himself. He'll change things just to say he's Trumpified them.
Could be interesting to see what happens if the Open returns there.
Isn't going to matter much to me, just moves Turnberry from "if I hit the lottery and travel" to "if I hit the lottery twice".

I like seeing him buy more golf courses, but am also glad he wont be making a lot of changes. I hope he keeps his word on that. Now, in the clubhouse, there may be some decorating taking place........He loves to change décor.....

JM

Honestly I like seeing him buy up golf courses, from his past courses, I'd say it could be really good for Turnberry.

Good to hear that he doesn't plan on touching the course, because if he changes it I will hate him forever. That course is a nearly flawless classic. I'm sure his hand will be useful in making the hotel an incredible luxury property, but it means the price will probably go up so high that I'll never get to stay there, so that bums me out.

The main thing is, he isn't changing the layout. I think this may actually help the course/hotels in the long run. It will definitely generate a lot of publicity for the course and I would imagine increase attendance for the next time the Open is there.

Will be interesting to see what changes he has in store

As long as he doesn't overhaul the course like he has done in the past, it doesn't really matter to me. Turnberry is such an iconic course, it would be a huge shame if he messed with it trying to feed his own ego.

I'm always glad to see someone willing to invest the money to purchase an iconic course like Turnberry. Hearing his current inclination to keep the course as is also makes me happy.

I like it purely from the standpoint of someone making a large investment into a golf facility. Also, I think the publicity surrounding this will be good for the game for the most part. I don't really care for Trump though.

I bet this news has gone down like a lead balloon in Scotland. The only person more unpopular than Donald Trump over there is David Cameron!

Yeah I think we will have to wait and see whether it is good or bad, but for many it will be very unpopular. I've not played there so can't comment on the course but it looks superb. Let's hope he keeps it's qualities..

It will be interesting to see what type of changes are made.

Not a fan of Trump and Golf. He throws his money around in a very crass way. I am 100% sure he will make changes and put his touch on it. When I bought the other course he has, he was hated by the locals. I don't see that being any different.

Back