Used a ladies flex - felt like a man

davemate

Reaction score
Handicap
So, I am about 12 months into golf. Playing off 'around' 20 sort of handicap.
Love the game, have great days and bad days.

I am only 5 ft 6 in tall, so I think the salesman at the golf shop who sold me a 46" STIFF shaft Cobra S2 adjustable driver as my first club (who was about 7 foot tall and didn't check my swing) - got it wrong.

Anyway for laughs my wife plays and she has the female version of the Cobra S2 adjustable driver.

So for the sake of it, I swapped the shaft at the driving range yesterday (keep my 10.5 degree loft). So instead of 5 out of 10 drives going where I want, it was more like 8 out of 10 going where I want.
I also gained about 20 yards and it removed my slice (even had to open the face angle of the club).

So will I use a ladies shaft - NO (edit 27/12/2013 - still using it, might keep it :)
but will I consider a Senior shaft or a Regular shaft - you can bet your ass I will.

The flex made it much easier and the most important was that the length suited me. I have no dramas with my regular flex 3 Wood and the shorter driver felt more like that.

I tell you what looks stupider than using a ladies shaft, doing a crap drive!!!
Gonna use clubs that work now - not what sounds right to the ego.

Last edited:
hahaha, good for you brotha. that's all that matters. find what works and swing your swing.

This is awesome, in so many ways.

But why not use a L flex shaft if it fits you?

Trust me nobody will know what the flex is unless you tell them and as you said in your post play what fits you not what ego says you should. So if the lady fits you in the end swing it and swing it like a champ!

Yep very true, I will definitely use the L flex for the next round I play on the course.
hmmmmm I wonder how her Pink Callaway Solaire balls will go????

A while back, at a Thp tour van stop in Des Moines, I watched JB and Jrod crush a Ping's lady hybrid.

Nothing wrong / unmanly about high, straight and far.

Nothing wrong with that, dude. If it works, it works. Have you looked in to lightweight shafts before? I know for me, it changed the way I play the game.

Guys,

Thanks for all of the positive comments. I also want to thank the original poster for opening this topic.

My 10 year old son has been having trouble hitting his GB Bertha driver with regular shaft. We went to the pro shop yesterday and he bought a Callaway Diablo Octane 13.5 degree with a Project X 5.0 Womens flex shaft.

He was leary/embarrassed because it was a womans flex. He was killing the ball with the best drives ever. Even had a draw.

The club looks regular, and the shaft is silver ( no flowers or pink color).

I showed him this thread and it made him feel a lot better.

Thanks again,

Jackal

Last edited:
Guy,

Thanks for all of the positive comments. I also want to thank the original poster for opening this topic.

My 10 year old son has been having trouble hitting his GB Bertha driver with regular shaft. We went to the pro shop yesterday and he bought a Callaway Diablo Octane 13.5 degree with a Project X 5.0 Womens flex shaft.

He was leary/embarrassed because it was a womans flex. He was killing the ball with the best drives ever. Even had a draw.

The club looks regular, and the shaft is silver ( no flowers or pink color).

I showed him this thread and it made him feel a lot better.

Thanks again,

Jackal

Great to hear!

I played an A Flex for a while in my driver. No shame in my game. Do what works best for you.

My 3W is lite flex (I'm 30) while my driver is stiff flex. If my swing off the tee goes to pot, I can always take that 3 wood out and make an easy, controlled swing and get 220 total distance out of it, dead straight. It's not about the label, it's about what works.

Ladies flex is same as senior but shorter length is what I was told. If it puts the ball where I want it to go I would use elf flex.

Ladies flex is same as senior but shorter length is what I was told. If it puts the ball where I want it to go I would use elf flex.
That is correct... My sons highschool coach recommended senior for my wife as she is 5'8 and he said same thing

Okay so updating my old thread. This week I decided to remove the ladies/lite flex shaft out of my driver and put back my 46" stiff flex shaft.
Basic outcome was the following:

Stiff flex - A little more distance, not as much accuracy, little less confidence.
Ladies/lite flex (shorter shaft) - A little less distance, much more accuracy, heaps of confidence (slight embarrassment hoping no one ever reads 'womens' on the shaft :beauty:"

Anyway, I wish I had a regular flex shaft that was just in-between the length of the two shafts to put it there to complete the comparison.
I think form plays a bigger part of your success than the flex of your shaft.

Interesting that you are seeing less accuracy with stiffer flex usually you see more accuracy but a lose distance but if you are smooth enough to swing lite flex then go for it

I have a 14 deg pink women's snake eye driver that I fall back to occasionally.

Get some stick from guys on the tee until it gets passed round and people hit it. (My demographic of partners is typically older).

I think of it as my slightly soft 3 deep :D

You've got me wondering about softer shafts with all the good responses in here, I'd like to just go and experiment for a couple hours and see which flex provides the best results. Hit it if it works, no shame in playing good golf.

Would using a softer flex really force you to work on tempo? If so, I should probably move to infant flex.

Lol Deuce, I was wondering the same thing, how much does tempo have to do with flex? I've never asked my fitter that before.

Interesting that you are seeing less accuracy with stiffer flex usually you see more accuracy but a lose distance but if you are smooth enough to swing lite flex then go for it

Yeah if I hit it right - more distance and that is probably down to a longer shaft than the stiffness.

Yeah if I hit it right - more distance and that is probably down to a longer shaft than the stiffness.

That makes sense

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would using a softer flex really force you to work on tempo? If so, I should probably move to infant flex.

I know when I have played around with my wifes clubs at the range I'm much more aware of my tempo.

I know when I have played around with my wifes clubs at the range I'm much more aware of my tempo.
Especially the first time you use a ladies flex - I remember thinking "don't hit too hard Dave - you might break it" ahahahaha I can't break it.

Far too many people think they are going to overpower a shaft because it feels light to flex in hand.

I'm always fit to X flex but never get x flex i stay in stiff if anything I'll go heavier gram wise it's amazing how many people are surprised that I don't use x flex shafts because of my swing speed but I feel much more confident and accurate using them. And confidence is one of the best things you can have in golf

A proper fitting which includes flex, length, lie, grip size, etc. is super important for golf. I played varsity golf my freshman year of high school using Patty Berg Signature irons and woods. You gotta put your ego aside and play what works! Many golfers using a stiff shaft would hit it farther with a softer flex.

Back