Wilson Staff C100 Irons - THP Preview

Canadan

LGND
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Building distance and accuracy technology into a reasonable package, the Wilson Staff C100 Irons represent 'control' for players looking for a crossover style club. In for review include the 4-GW, combined with the mid spin/mid launch True Temper CL100 shafts. As I am quite familiar with distance irons, I look forward to seeing how Wilson Staff has managed to combine accuracy with distance in an iron build that appears reasonable at address.

From Wilson

VISIBLE TECHNOLOGY

An optimal size head design with a sleek mirror black PVD finish and contrasting face, sole and Exoskeleton features promote visible technology and confidence at address.

EXOSKELETON WEIGHTING

Exoskeleton weighting accounts for one-third of the total head mass, maximizing the MOI and forgiveness while still maintaining a midsize head shape.

THIN FACE

A stronger, stainless steel material allows for the thinnest-faced Wilson Staff Control (C) iron yet, creating faster ball speeds and longer distances.

CLUBLOFTLIELEFT HANDEDLENGTHSWING WEIGHT GR/STBOUNCE
#3*19.0°59.5°N39.50"D21.5°
#422.0°60.0°Y39.0"D22.0°
#525.0°61.0°Y38.5"D22.5°
#628.0°61.5°Y38.0"D23.5°
#732.0°62.0°Y37.5"D24.0°
#836.0°63.0°Y37.0"D24.5°
#940.0°63.5°Y36.5"D25.5°
PW44.0°64.0°Y36.0"D26.0°
GW48.0°64.25°Y35.75"D28.0°
SW*55.0°64.25°Y35.5"D412.0°

In Hand Photos

20140430_154157-XL.jpg

20140430_154124-XL.jpg

20140430_154131-XL.jpg

20140430_154135-XL.jpg

20140430_154242-XL.jpg

20140430_154328-XL.jpg

20140430_154347-XL.jpg

20140430_154703-XL.jpg

(from left to right: GW, 7 iron, 4 iron)
20140430_154913-XL.jpg

(The Finish Into Sunlight)
20140430_155242-XL.jpg

20140430_155007-XL.jpg

20140430_155032-XL.jpg

Man am I wishing for a forum testing on these. I want to try them SO BAD. Awesome pics Dan, can't wait for you to put them through the wringer!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

I'll say the pictures do these justice! The contrasting finish looks so good in person and frames the ball really well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I think Wilson needs a closer look by this old man ⛳️?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have some on course thoughts I'd like to share, as well as preface my expectations for the review of these irons..

To begin, I have quite a bit of experience with demoing distance irons, and I believe many fall short on accuracy and consistency. As this is grouped as a 'control' iron, I am looking forward to finding out just how much consistency I find on off-center strikes. Pre-round range session with a six iron, I was easily able to produce a draw, fade, lower launching shot, as well as a towering flight -- And that was great to see.

What I think will benefit a lot of golfers with the C100 irons is the wider sole that is hidden under a reasonable top line. It will alleviate any unnecessary digging, but I can 100% confirm that it's not a hinderance out of the rough as I'll show with my example:

On my first hole of the night, I found myself 160 yards from the pin, trapped in relatively thick Spring rough. With the C100 8 iron, I cut straight through to the ball and hit a mid launching shot that landing extremely close to the hole and only rolled out a few yards. Much credit to the C100 for getting through the rough with ease.

Spoiler
20140430_173107.jpg

20140430_173114.jpg

20140430_173322.jpg

Face wear doesn't appear like it will be a big issue, but I opted to snap a photo after 10-15 strikes with the 8 iron, consistently finding a spot on the head that made a great contact sound (clean due to mats -- Lots of rain in Ohio lately)

Spoiler
20140430_171803.jpg

Two additional thoughts:

I put quite a bit of spin on the GW on approach, which impressed me. We've talked on THP about moving set wedges into the bag, and I think many could have success with the C100 GW.

The shiny black finish is very impressive. I worry a bit about the matte finish on the outside of the cavity, but the mirror black finish on the rest of the head is incredibly attractive.

Those look really really good Danathan.

I also appreciate the early thoughts, pretty interesting to say the least. Can't wait to see how it goes from here performance wise.

Nice pics Dan. These look,huge and easy to hit. All the best with the review

They remind me a lot of my Cally XF irons with their appearance. Very sharp looking irons IMO!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice initial thoughts. I have to admit, when I saw the pics, I was immediately concerned about the durability of the shiny black finish. After re-looking at the overall design, though, it looks like the intended contact points on the club head have the nice matte grey.

Man, those are a thing of beauty. Great initial insight Dan, these look to have quite a bit of promise going for them.

Beautiful. I'm liking everything I see here.

HTC M8

Wilson is really working hard to turn some heads. The aesthetics of these irons is quite appealing. Looking forward to reading your review on these.

These are some great irons. Excited to hear your review Dan.

Cool looking irons and great initial thoughts Dan.

love the black chrome look very cool interesting to see if long term there is some face or sole wear with the satin finish

These are really sharp looking. Only part I do not care for is the bigger numbers on the sole. Other then that I would say these are excellent.

Sent from my SGH-I257M using Tapatalk

I absolutely love the looks of those. Sounds like they play even better than they look.

Pretty irons as depicted by the awesome pics. Look a little big for my taste though. Great shot out of the rough Dan!

great looking irons, I need to find a set to try

These look good Dan and I look forward your review. Having the predecessor the Ci11's in the bag really has me intrigued in what improvements have been made.

Some solid looking irons, love the Black and Silver finishes.

Havent tried much of the Wilson line in the past, hoping to get a few swipes this year, including these irons

Solid looking set of irons, never heard of that CL 100 shaft from TT.

I do worry about the glossy finish on the face/toe area showing scratches etc not long after use.

Curious to hear if they can deliver on the accuracy via be control series and not just a distance iron where you can see discrepancies in consistent carry distances.

Pretty irons as depicted by the awesome pics. Look a little big for my taste though. Great shot out of the rough Dan!

Does the size of an iron matter if you hit the ball where you want it to go?

I've played blades and I've played larger GI heads before, and I guess I'll just never understand the size issue. For me, it's purely about performance.

Does the size of an iron matter if you hit the ball where you want it to go?

I've played blades and I've played larger GI heads before, and I guess I'll just never understand the size issue. For me, it's purely about performance.

That's what she said last night. :D Actually for me, the larger irons inspire confidence. I just love the look of these irons and can't wait to see them in person.

Back