My Callaway Performance Center Fitting - Neshanic Valley, NJ

DevRickus

The Dirty Jerz
Reaction score
Handicap
Snow
So tonight I went for my #THPMC Callaway fitting. Went in with a few ideas in my mind but with an open mind as well. Facility was very nice. Here are a few quick pictures I was able to take:

20140501_165527_zps8a56f79b.jpg

20140501_165538_zps75aa2a6c.jpg

20140501_165554_zps333c1a74.jpg

20140501_165605_zpse702aa5a.jpg

20140501_165810_zps8637695d.jpg

So they gave me some range balls and I was able to go hit some warmup shots on the grass range which was very nice. Hit my 6 iron pretty well so I felt pretty good.

Upon heading inside the fitter had me hit my 6 iron to get some baseline numbers. Within a few swings he pretty much had my swing down and had an idea of what we wanted to improve. He immediately said to me that I should avoid...X2Hot irons. I was fully expecting him to say Apex but what he said was that the X2Hot are spin reducing and we really wanted to increase my spin. I hit them anyway with Recoil 660's and was hitting them fine but the spin numbers were in the low 2000 rpms. He then noticed that their Apex head in LH went missing. We then decided to hit the Edge irons and despite their looks they are very very solid. Picked up around 1500 rpms hitting them in stock graphite. I am going back in 2 weeks to finish the iron fitting but he really thinks I should go Apex and have the iron lofts weakened back to what he described as standard lofts. But we will have to see.

Next we talked a bit about fairway woods and what type of lofts I should look at. He handed me a stock Big Bertha 5W set to neutral and I absolutely smoked it off the deck. The furthest I have ever hit a FW in my life 191 in the air, 212 total. I hit a few more with the 5W and then some with the 3W and we decided the best route is going to be the follow setup: Big Bertha 3W +2, Neutral, and Big Bertha 5W +2, Neutral, 1/2 inch short on both.

Following that we discussed driver and driver shafts. I had an idea of what may work for me but I left it up to him and didnt offer any suggestions. In the end I hit the follow, stock, Oban Devotion 4, Aldila Magum 44, and Bassara Eagle. The winner and it wasnt even really close...was the stock Fubuki shaft. Was getting really good spin numbers and we set the driver to +2 and moved it to the D setting. I currently have a Big Bertha so we actually used mine for the fitting so it was nice to get those settings ironed out because I was just playing it stock.

Afterwards we spoke a bit about putters and decided when I got back in 2 weeks we would work on Irons, Wedges, Hybrids, and putter. I am on the fence about the hybrids. We discussed briefly going with a 5 Hybrid (not sure on shaft yet), and going 6-SW in my irons. But we will get some numbers and go from there. I am 99% sure I am set on putter but would still like to see what he has to say.

Overally I was extremely pleased with the experience. The system they use if pretty cool and much different than what they used at the TMPL that I went to earlier this year. I went into this with an open mind and will say that the Edge series really shocked me. I didnt hit the hybrids very well which was very surprising. If I hit those well it would have been very hard to not go that route. I will give them another go against the Apex and see what we come up with but it was a really cool experience and cant wait to head back there in 2 weeks.

Last thing I should mention, it should come to no ones surprise that my fitter is very familiar with THP and the Morgan Cup.

Dev,
The spin was in the low 2s?
And 3500 or so with the Apex?

Are you sure? For clean contact?

Sounds like you had a solid fitting experience Ricky. I'm surprised he didn't have you hit the X2Hot woods though. Did he not have them? Or were the results just not as good as the Bertha fairways?

Dev,
The spin was in the low 2s?
And 3500 or so with the Apex?

Are you sure? For clean contact?

Didnt hit the Apex because he didnt have one there. The 3500 was with the Edge irons. Was in the low 2's with clean contact with the X2Hots. Trust me, I am just as surprised as you are because I went in fully expecting to be fit into X2Hots.

Sounds like you had a solid fitting experience Ricky. I'm surprised he didn't have you hit the X2Hot woods though. Did he not have them? Or were the results just not as good as the Bertha fairways?

He had the X2Hot woods there but with the way I was hitting the Big Bertha FW's there really was no reason to hit them. I loved last years XHot FW's and the Big Bertha felt very similar and comfortable to me and I was absolutely mashing them.

And you did not hit either one of them thin?

And you did not hit either one of them thin?

I had a few thin shots with both but we looked at average numbers for both after hitting them. The Recoils brough the spin numbers up a bit in the X2Hot as I was initially hitting them with the stock graphite I just remembered. Brought it into the 2500-2600 range. Never got above 3000 rpms with the X2Hots and I hit about 20 balls or so with it. There were a few mishits but even when I made clean contact the spin just want there.

To clarify also, that was the average. I was hitting the Edge irons in the 4800-5000 range. The number above was just comparing the last swing with the X2Hot with the first swing with the Edge irons.

Great write up Dev. Sounds like you had a very solid session.

Dev,
I am going to ask some questions, and you can feel free to relay them on to your fitter.
Based on the spin and your ball flight (as you describe it), you are coming in shallow and possibly flipping as well.
You have also been going through major swing changes and have made it known that you are not the longest hitter and dont always hit the sweet spot.
You have also said that you struggle to get it high enough (comes from above) and it robs you of carry distance. You are making great strides (and its awesome), but that is where you have been to date (based off of your posts).

With all of that said, this fitter is recommending the Apex irons and weakening the lofts (so far)?

That seems right to you? Do you think that the swing was pretty repeatable and that the lessons and changes you are making have taken a repeatable shape?

Nice writeup Ricky! I like that the driver and fairways were so easy to iron out! Give those Edge hybrids another chance dude. Seriously - the irons sound right and might be worth giving them another try.

Dev,
I am going to ask some questions, and you can feel free to relay them on to your fitter.
Based on the spin and your ball flight (as you describe it), you are coming in shallow and possibly flipping as well.
You have also been going through major swing changes and have made it known that you are not the longest hitter and dont always hit the sweet spot.
You have also said that you struggle to get it high enough (comes from above) and it robs you of carry distance. You are making great strides (and its awesome), but that is where you have been to date (based off of your posts).

With all of that said, this fitter is recommending the Apex irons and weakening the lofts (so far)?

That seems right to you? Do you think that the swing was pretty repeatable and that the lessons and changes you are making have taken a repeatable shape?

He isnt really recommending Apex he is just guessing as I havent hit them. He said regardless of whether I got Apex or X2Hot the lofts are strong and I should consider weakening them. We talked alot about my swing change and the progress and changes I am making. The numbers we looked at were really only based on balls where I made solid contact. Naturally I hit some bad shots but also wanted to make sure even when I do hit the ball thin, I still maximize the distance. If they made a whole set of of Edge irons 4-PW, honestly that would probably where I went. I struggled with the Edge hybrids and the Edge Irons only go 7-PW. It's alot of information for me to take in and I wont pretend to understand all of it. We really focus on launch angle and ball speed. Again, without hitting the Apex everything is hypothetical. I definitely hit the Edge irons way better than the X2Hot irons.

Okay. Thanks for sharing. Good luck with the rest of the journey.

Excellent recap Dev, sounds like a good experience for sure.

Nice write up Dev. I enjoyed the read and looking forward to the rest of your fitting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice job, Dev, bet the whole process is a blast. Why would they suggest anyone adjust the lofts down.

HTC M8

Nice job, Dev, bet the whole process is a blast. Why would they suggest anyone adjust the lofts down.

HTC M8

They are strong lofts and I struggle to get the ball high enough. Bending them weak (someone correct me if I reversed this) means getting the lofts a little higher.

They are strong lofts and I struggle to get the ball high enough. Bending them weak (someone correct me if I reversed this) means getting the lofts a little higher.

Good to know, thanks!

HTC M8

Great recap dev...will be interested to see how part 2 goes in a few weeks

Knocking it out of the park with the re-cap Dev. Thank you for sharing and I'm looking forward to the follow up soon.

JM

I've been looking forward to hearing about this all day. Thanks for taking the time to write it up. Sounds like you started getting the answers you were looking for.

Nice write up Dev! Good luck with part two, I hope they find that Apex head.

Nice write up Dev! Good luck with part two, I hope they find that Apex head.

Haha he didn't seem to worried about it. I assume he knows where it went. He is just reordering another one.

Great post Dev! I bet it will be awesome to get fitted like that.

Very cool Dev. Sounds like you're getting a lot of good info to make the right decision. Look forward to hearing how you do with the Apexes and what you end up with!

Back