Is par always a good score

Tadashi70

Reaction score
Handicap
Do you think Par is always a good score? Do you kick yourself for making par sometimes when you were in position for birdie or better?

I know old man par or good but is it always the best?

While a par will never hurt you in stroke play, missing that 3 footer for birdie hurts in a bad way.

I missed a 4 footer (downhill left to right slider) last weekend because I was tentative and afraid of blowing it by and possibly making bogey.

I like to say pars are never bad but sometimes I sure don't feel that way.

Also, 3 putting for a par? That's no bueno!

to me there is only one situation when I will not be happy with par, and its if I hit a par 5 in two and 3 putt, otherwise, a par is as good as a birdie for me

I think so. To me it means at least a couple of things went right on that hole. Drive & approach, then a 2-putt, or a good wedge shot from off the green...Short of sticking an approach within 6-8' and missing the birdie putt, I can't see any reason to be mad at par...but I'm aware it's relative to handicap. Some guys are much more disappointed with par than I am.

On some of the short par-5s we played at #TheKing, I kinda felt like par was a bad score. I'd say 75 to 80% of the time for me, par is a great score.

I will take 18 of them.

Par is not always the best score, but for me it is always a good score. Even if I'm on a par 5 in two and then 3 putt, there's no damage done on the card.

I'll take par any day of the week.

That said if I miss a 3 foot putt for birdie like I did Sunday I get a litte ticked as Im writing down the score

My initial thought was "Heck yeah! Par is always good."

Then I started thinking about round I've had (one just a few weeks ago) when I've had 6 or more birdie putts and made none. Now somewhere in there you would think a 6 or 10 footer would drop but Noooo.... Now I wasn't too upset when 3 putting after nearly driving a par 4 green a few weeks ago. I was on the front fringe, the pin in the back right of an uphill green that breaks left & right with a bit of a ridge down the middle. The par didn't feel that bad that day.

I guess I hardly ever walk away feeling bad about a par, unless I lip out a 3 footer.

So Par on, my friends!

Assuming I didn't have to chip in or sink a 60' putt to achieve par, I am very happy with it.
Par means I did everything correctly (more or less) - and consistency is what I am working towards.

I'll take par all day long and not bat an eye, he's my friend.

I'm typically happy with par unless I have three putted, or two putted missing something inside of 5 feet. Even though I only par a handful of holes a round, paring one in that fashion eats at me. Birdies are extremely rare.

Of course, what hurts the most is being in the position to birdie, and then get tight with the putting and bogey. ARGH!

My expectation is par. Birdie is great and bogey can be good sometimes too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Do you think Par is always a good score? Do you kick yourself for making par sometimes when you were in position for birdie or better?
That has become my mantra in the past year. It always sucks to miss that 6 foot birdie putt or not getting up and down for birdie when you have an easy pitch or chip for your 3rd shot on a par 5. But instead of beating myself up over the misses (which I have done for as long as I can remember) I just tell myself 'par is good' and move on. It has really helped my on course demeanor and cut way down on emotional outbursts.

I can't wait for the day when par might not feel good. Bogey feels good right now.

Can you shoot a 68 with all pars?

No, par is not ALWAYS a good score.

3 putt pars are the only kind I don't like, outside of that ill take a par every hole if I could

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Par for me is always a good score. But birdie is always better, especially if I miss a 4ft birdie putt...

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

I will take par all freaking day. Deffiantly better than all thses bogey's and double bogey's I am getting.

There are moments where its not bad, but not good either for me. Namely on par 5's, if I'm on or inside of 50 yards on my 3rd shot on a par 5 and don't leave with birdie, thats a bad hole to me. Could be worse, yes, but I have to get strokes when I can.

I will take 18 of them.

Hell, I'm not even greedy, give me 17 of them and I'll still be a happy camper.

I think par is always good, even though at times it's disappointing.

Greed is greed and we all suffer in some way. My last time out I missed a four footer for bird that ticked me off, but then went on to double the next hole to put that par back into perspective.

Back