Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 Hybrid Review Thread

Hawk

Master Painter
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
As the first adjustable hybrid presented by Wilson Staff, the new FG Tour M3 hybrid features Multi Fit System technology allowing golfers to adjust both the loft and the sole weight for otimized trajectory and increased club head speeds.

The FG Tour M3 hybrids offer tour-inspired shapes and technology for Feel (F) and Control (C) players.

GripLamkin Crossline Black 360
Shaft OptionsAldila RIP Phenom
Flex OptionsX, S, R, A
Player CategoryFeel, Control
HandRH, LH

STD LOFTADJ LOFTSLIEVOLUMELEFT HANDEDLENGTHSWING WEIGHT
17.0°16.0°-18.0° U57.0° / 59.0°*107ccN41.25"D3
19.0°18.0°-20.0° U57.5° / 59.5°*105ccY40.75"D3
21.0°20.0°-22.0° U58.0° / 60.0°*103ccY40.25"D3
23.0°22.0°-24.0° U58.5° / 60.5°*98ccN39.75"D3
*upright option
FGTourM3Hyb_AldilaRIPPhenom85.jpg

Pretty new direction for Wilson Staff here, with a true 'players' hybrid that is adjustable for loft, lie, and weight (via interchangeable 3g, 7g, and 11g weights). The version supplied for review comes with the RIP Phenom (83g) in stiff flex and ranges from 16° to 18° loft (with three upright settings).

Fairly 'iron-like' profile to this one, with a matte gray/black color scheme that is pretty great looking in person. The adjustable hosel is very large. Much larger than anything I've seen on an adjustable hybrid to date.

Hit some balls with this one earlier and will update accordingly. Stay tuned for thoughts as it gets tested in the coming weeks.

DSCN4688-L.jpg

DSCN4689-L.jpg

DSCN4691-L.jpg

DSCN4692-L.jpg

• Staff
I apologize if the pictures aren't showing up. Our photo hosting service is having some technical issues.

• Staff
I'm really looking forward to your thoughts on this one Hawk. A nice weighted shaft pairing and adjustability for days!!!

First thing I did after getting home was bump it up to 18 Upright lol. Not an easy one to get airborne at such a low loft.

Hawk I am interested in the thoughts on this one. Certainly a more compact offering. Love the finish on it.

Looks great. The head profile looks a little like the X2Hot, at least to me. I'm liking the shaft in there too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I like this one! I'm. It sure about the black finish on the face. I'm not anal about my clubs per say, but that finish concerns me. Hybrids don't always seem the most docile conditions lol.

• Staff
Looks great. The head profile looks a little like the X2Hot, at least to me. I'm liking the shaft in there too.

I'll compare side-by-side, but my impression was that it's a smaller head (both in depth and from back to front) than the X2. Maybe more like the X2 Pro?

First thing I did after getting home was bump it up to 18 Upright lol. Not an easy one to get airborne at such a low loft.

With the phenom I could see that. Lower torque in an ultra stable package.

Yep. I'll need to hit this one soon!

I'll compare side-by-side, but my impression was that it's a smaller head (both in depth and from back to front) than the X2. Maybe more like the X2 Pro?

Yeah now I can see that by looking at the photo of the head next to the ball. Definitely more compact, now I'm thinking i25ish. Looking forward to this one and need to find some where to hit it.

very interesting sole design...I will watch this closely as I am in the market for new hybrids.

I know Dean and I remarked at the show about just how compact this one is, it screams players hybo to me, I'll be curious to see how you get on with it and what all you see out of it buddy.

This one looks beastly, and I love the high toe on it. Interesting shaft pairing, especially for those looking for higher flight on the ball. However, it's a shaft that I love.

A few quick thoughts before I hit the sack.

This is definitely a player's style hybrid, which can be not a big issue for me with the right setup. I don't gravitate towards the really fairway wood-ish hybrids typically. At 17° of loft and what felt to me to be a pretty stout shaft, it's definitely a big-boys club though.

For me, ball flight was pretty low overall today, but that's no surprise. I'm going to see what a different setting will do there for the next time I'm out there, but I'm not sure (for me) it's ever going to be a really high trajectory club. The ball chased like crazy though, so it could be a fun club off the tee in the awesome 30mph winds that seem to be prevalent here right now.

That's about it for now, but will have more soon.

Awesome Hawk. I have been waiting months for this review. I love the look of this and Wilson hybo's in the past have been monsters for me.

Did you also get all the weights for the club. Really curious to see how it can perform at one loft with the different weights and if the launch changes for you.

That club looks beautiful. In fact, most the the stuff Wilson is putting out these days is just gorgeous.

Awesome Hawk. I have been waiting months for this review. I love the look of this and Wilson hybo's in the past have been monsters for me.

Did you also get all the weights for the club. Really curious to see how it can perform at one loft with the different weights and if the launch changes for you.

Unfortunately, I did not receive any weights.

I believe the yellow weight is the 7g weight (if the weights are the same as the driver weights). When I initially hit the driver, it had the 11 g weight in the head and it was a high spinner. I wish you had the other two weights for testing.

I love the dark finish and look at address.

That's a mean looking hybrid there. Don't know if I could hang at that low a loft, but I could see something in the 20ish˚ range.

that is a great looking hybrid, looking forward to your toughts

Simply put, this is a pretty hard club to hit.

I don't want to take anything away from it based on that, but I do think those folks possibly pondering (especially if they are pondering the 17° version I was sent) should take note that it's a club made for a certain player.

Tested it tonight at max loft (it doesn't appear to close the face at address) and the upright position. Previous testing was done with standard loft and neutral lie angle. Issues I saw were the same with both settings.

Pretty big control issues for me - big-big lefts - and very low ball flight both off the turf and off a tee. I would say I was probably seeing 1/10 good shots to bad shots ratio and this a night where I felt I was hitting the ball pretty well. Now, I'll reiterate - at 17°, 41.25" in length, and a very slim/iron-like profile, this a club that by nature shouldn't fit a good portion of amateur golfers. Those that can generate some real ball speed and really get down into the ball will likely feel differently, though I suspect even they would say it flights pretty low. To me, it brings back memories of a pretty stiffly shafted 16° X-Hot Pro I had, minus the control issues.

Muted, slightly higher toned sound at impact. Not all that unlike the Adams Pro hybrids. Some will like that I'm sure.

So, there I was at the Wilson demo at my course.
IMAG0351_1_zpshaadhaff.jpg

Looking at, fondling, and hitting, all the sweet looking clubs offered up by W/S this year.
IMAG0352_1_zpshggbuhcn.jpg

Then I found her. Possibly the sweetest hybrid I've ever hit. Flawless, forgiving, long (really!), and perfect ball flight.
I could do nothing but hit her right at the 200 sign, over and over again.
IMAG0353_1_zpsbqeey7ni.jpg

Then, after chatting up the sales/demo guy and hitting about every club in the joint, he tossed me some of the 100th anniversary poker chips.
Sweet.
IMAG0354_1_zpso8suiebs.jpg

I don't want to take anything away from it based on that, but I do think those folks possibly pondering (especially if they are pondering the 17° version I was sent) should take note that it's a club made for a certain player.

Now, having great success at hitting the 21 and 23 versions, I tried the 17 and also thought it must be an entirely different club. I couldn't hit it at all. Even the Wilson rep was like, 'dude, you've been smashing everything else, what's wrong?'. What's wrong was I couldn't hit anything higher than a complete rocket 20ft off the ground and curving right.
It was nothing like the higher lofts. Weird.

Sort of figured that. I don't understand why we got that one, but we did. Sort of a shame, because it's all I have to go by on feedback.

Sort of figured that. I don't understand why we got that one, but we did. Sort of a shame, because it's all I have to go by on feedback.

Yeah, Ryan, I'd caution people to NOT be dissuaded from the hybrid line by the 17*, because the others are just stellar. We were on a weird part of the range and some of the yardages were off, and I don't have a laser, but it sure looked and felt like the 21 was going as far as my dang 5W!. It was awesome.

Back