Letting people play through. ..

socalf1fan

Reaction score
Handicap
Just a rant: so I'm a single put today on hole 2 and I'm playing my normal pace. Another single drives into me while I'm setting up for my second shot. Maybe a minute total standing there before I swung.

So I finish the hole and wait on 3 for the faster guy to play through. He then spends the next 15 minutes finishing the hole.

Frustrating when people play super fast then slows down once you make the decision. Reminds me of Hugh school 18 years ago....the clock always slows down when you wait on it.

Ok rant over back to golf.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Frustrating! Did you motion him to play through? He may have felt so bad about hitting into you that he didn't want to confront you on the next tee, and thus was wasting time, waiting for you to tee off.

I try to just let it roll of my back getting frustrated really messes with my game

I have been there when somebody is pushing you and then you decide to let them go through and they suddenly slow down

I've been in the situation where the person who let me play through made me feel rushed. I then had a terrible hole and the guy was probably thinking "Why did I let this joke of a hack through?"

How was the person'a pace of play the rest of the round? Maybe it was a bad hole.

This would have been the perfect opportunity to pair up.

This would have been the perfect opportunity to pair up.
I agree, I have met a lot of nice folks on the course. I have invited many to join THP but very few have joined.

A single arguing about a single playing through. Is there even a discussion here? I hope not...

A single arguing about a single playing through. Is there even a discussion here? I hope not...
No one is arguing. He let the guy play through and the guy didn't keep his pace of play. Legit rant...

No one is arguing. He let the guy play through and the guy didn't keep his pace of play. Legit rant...

All we know is that the guy struggled for one hole while playing under observation. I want to know, did he pick up the pace once he got a hole ahead? It's common for a player or a group to have a bit of stage fright while playing through, but if they were faster coming up behind, then the odds are pretty good that they will get back on pace and move on once they are well past.

I've also seen slow groups suddenly start playing faster after letting someone play through. You think that you will leave them in your dust, but then you look back and they are keeping right up.

These are just a couple of reasons why I hate playing through. I would rather that everyone just make a point of playing on pace and then it becomes irrelevant.

The 2nd hole is rather short amount of time to assess how quick the player behind you is. You really run a risk letting them through if your're in a hurry yourself.

It seems people who show up to the golf course as singles have no desire to pair up anymore? In fact they tend do be some of the fastest players, almost like part of their mission is a round of golf in under 3 hours. I know life is busy and I can relate. But it almost doesn't seem like golf at all. Just a big practice area.

It seems people who show up to the golf course as singles have no desire to pair up anymore? In fact they tend do be some of the fastest players, almost like part of their mission is a round of golf in under 3 hours. I know life is busy and I can relate. But it almost doesn't seem like golf at all. Just a big practice area.

Thankfully, as an often single player, my course isn't like that. In the last year, I think I've played on my own twice. Back home was a different story. It was very rare groups asked me to join if I was a single.

When I let people play through I typically tee off and if they get there I have them hit then I just wait for the green. I find it helps maintain pace of play.

The 2nd hole is rather short amount of time to assess how quick the player behind you is. You really run a risk letting them through if your're in a hurry yourself.

I play as a single and walk 18 in about 2 hours and 30 minutes and wouldn't have it any other way. I have other things to do than to be on the course for 4-5 hours, I can walk a round then get an hour range/practice session in before most groups here finish up. Playing fast doesn't mean you don't get to enjoy it, it means you play ready golf.

All we know is that the guy struggled for one hole while playing under observation. I want to know, did he pick up the pace once he got a hole ahead? It's common for a player or a group to have a bit of stage fright while playing through, but if they were faster coming up behind, then the odds are pretty good that they will get back on pace and move on once they are well past.

I've also seen slow groups suddenly start playing faster after letting someone play through. You think that you will leave them in your dust, but then you look back and they are keeping right up.

These are just a couple of reasons why I hate playing through. I would rather that everyone just make a point of playing on pace and then it becomes irrelevant.

I have to assume the guy continued his slow play or there would be no need for the rant. One hole a rant des not make.

I play as a single and walk 18 in about 2 hours and 30 minutes and wouldn't have it any other way. I have other things to do than to be on the course for 4-5 hours, I can walk a round then get an hour range/practice session in before most groups here finish up. Playing fast doesn't mean you don't get to enjoy it, it means you play ready golf.

Couldn't agree with you more. I'm a play ready guy, it's not about rushing the round there just isn't any need to be so darn pragmatic out there. I don't enjoy long rounds, they are my worst scores and generally are frustrating experiences.

I have to assume the guy continued his slow play or there would be no need for the rant. One hole a rant des not make.

/\ /\ /\ this...
if your in such a hurry as to visibly hit into me.

Slow play as a whole doesn't bother me. I don't like to spend 4 hours myself but to be in such a rush only to slow down once your let past...it's a manners /etiquette bit. I am probably in the wrong for being frustrated with it but such is how you feel in the moment.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

There is definitely idiots out there. They probably don't play very often...

Last time out 3 singles showed up to the first tee (I was #3) while a group of 3 or 4 was on the first green par 3. The first guy in line asks the second if he wanted to go first. The guy couldn't spit out fast enough that he did in fact want to go ahead. Neither of them acknowledged me standing 5' away. The original first guy goes and putts on the practice green and eventually ends up behind me though never really pressuring. He is a regular, though I've never played with him. He always seems to practice. The next guy who was in such a hurry was in no hurry to get in front of the group in front of him( wide open ). In fact he seems more enchanted by his cell phone than golfing. Spent the whole round waiting on him. He asks if I've seen his jacket at one point. Apparently he's misplaced it.

I wonder what proper etiquette is on pairing up.. I would think the guy in the lead would have to ask? I did ask the original lead guy if he wanted to hit up when he caught up to me on the 2nd hole, he seemed annoyed by me asking. Old guy. always "practicing".

Nice if you have the course to yourself. What if there is a few foursomes sporadically in front. Do you still feel your needs should come first and they should have to wait just because you've caught up to them?

There is definitely idiots out there. They probably don't play very often...

Last time out 3 singles showed up to the first tee (I was #3) while a group of 3 or 4 was on the first green par 3. The first guy in line asks the second if he wanted to go first. The guy couldn't spit out fast enough that he did in fact want to go ahead. Neither of them acknowledged me standing 5' away. The original first guy goes and putts on the practice green and eventually ends up behind me though never really pressuring. He is a regular, though I've never played with him. He always seems to practice. The next guy who was in such a hurry was in no hurry to get in front of the group in front of him( wide open ). In fact he seems more enchanted by his cell phone than golfing. Spent the whole round waiting on him. He asks if I've seen his jacket at one point. Apparently he's misplaced it.

I wonder what proper etiquette is on pairing up.. I would think the guy in the lead would have to ask? I did ask the original lead guy if he wanted to hit up when he caught up to me on the 2nd hole, he seemed annoyed by me asking. Old guy. always "practicing".
If I am a group of less than four, and a single or twosome or even a threesome catch up to me because I am waiting on groups ahead, I will nearly always suggest we pair up (same goes if I/we catch people on a teebox because they are waiting. More people will always take a bit longer than me, or my twosome or threesome, and if we are waiting anyway, then it might make none of us have to wait on the group(s) ahead.

Nice if you have the course to yourself. What if there is a few foursomes sporadically in front. Do you still feel your needs should come first and they should have to wait just because you've caught up to them?

If I'm playing faster than them, then they should let me play through, its simple and the same thing I go by if someone comes up on me. Clearly is the course is stacked and backed up, then that changes.

I rarely play with no one on the course, I also very rarely see someone that won't let me play through.

I guess I could have been the person the OP was complain about. (in theory it wasn't actually me.)

I play as a single a lot, a lot, I like walking, so I play by myself a lot.

Still I play faster then most, even singles in carts, if anyone catches up to me I let them through, I'll wait at the tee box. However If I catch up to someone I hate being let ahead, normally I manage it so that I don't ever catch up to them, but it happens.

When people let me play through I get nervous and shank it all over the place, because I feel like I'm making them wait so I think hurry hurry hurry, and don't think about making good swings. It actually slows me down.

"Don't practice until you get it right, Practice until you can't get it wrong."

Yes, i will always let a faster group through, and I expect the same common courtesy in return. Obviously the course being backed up changes things.

This happened to me today. A single asked to join our threesome because he was short on time. We obviously said yes. He then stood on the tee and looked over the three clubs in his hand before walking all the way back to his cart for a fourth club. That was an unfortunate omen. Dude was s l o w over every shot the rest of the way. It ticked me off.

Back