TV COVERAGE OF PGA events????

Reaction score
Handicap
With all the crap that the announcer speak about and talk about as each player comes up to the tee why is it they never talk about what might be important to other golfers? Why not tell the public what shaft , what grip, what club head is that golfer playing, they always try to let you know that he is hitting a 6 iron 200 + yards so why can't they tell us the reason that he hits its long? The equipment , lie angle , give us some real facts and make it interesting to hear and see. Hey if that golfer has changed the shafts out to the most recent UST proto-type shaft , tell us , if he is hitting a $200.00 a dozen golf ball show it, not just the ones who sponsor the show's advertisements. What do the rest of you golfers feel about this?

Nothing's free :)

I don't think most people care about that stuff actually. People like us are just a small part of the audience. Half the time the announcers don't have any clue about equipement. They still call a hybrid "some sort of hybrid club".

Because the audience would tune out very quickly.

There are too many egos already among amateurs about their need to play tour equipment. I don't think Johnny 28 handicap needs to worry about a shaft he thinks he should play because he hits a 60 yard cut like Bubba. Want to know why you find more Pro V1s in the bushes then Top Flite Gamers? Exactly.

Haha Hawk. I hear that so much. "He appears to have some kind of rescue club there."

To the OP. I don't think most people care about what every player uses. I don't think I would want to hear it every time and I love golf more than the majority who tune in each weekend. I like being able to come to THP and seeing the winners WITB. In a lot of cases a little research will get you the information you want about other players. While I know nothing about broadcasting I think sifting through all the notes of what all the players are playing would take away from the actual announcing of shots as well.

That type of info would just plain boar most of the audience. Any casual golf fan would be gone in a heartbeat

I read equipment stuff daily, but even I would find it extremely boring to watch coverage with it being announced.

Honestly most golfers could care less and it would make for incredibly boring coverage. We need more characters like Feherty to make the coverage interesting.

Honestly, if the announcers started talking about grip choice for some of these guys, it would sound like a broken record.

Agreed with JB and Hawk. I think we tend to forget that the majority is not educated (sometimes just enough to be dangerous, hahaha) on all of those things and in fact could care less. The majority watches and plays with no real focus on the gear and such but rather just the players and the personalities. I would love to hear more of that stuff, but I know I'm in the VAAAAAAAST minority there.

Giving credit to those shafts, balls, and clubs, would be equivalent to advertising. If they start doing it for free, then that will start making the paying advertisers mad. You really think Titleist wants to pay for all of those commercials only to have the announcers discuss for free all the Taylormade Drivers? The only time they ever seem to discuss specific brands is when someone gets a new huge equipment deal. I'm pretty sure they made specific reference to Rory's new Nike clubs, and I'm pretty sure they made specific reference when Tiger switched to a Nike putter. Even then, I'm not so sure they didn't just refer to "a club change" and ignore the specific brand (although, when you zoom in on most clubs, it becomes pretty apparent what brand they are).

Do people care about that stuff? Yea, some of them. But I suspect most golfers aren't anywhere near that technical. Brand and model is about all they'd care about.

To the announcers credit, I do hear many more references to the fact that the Tour players get VERY exact fittings to suit their game and even their course. But even then, as a case in point, I remember watching the masters, and someone had a couple of wedges built for the "expected" turf conditions. When the average guy hears that, he's going to think "good for him, but he gets his clubs for free, and I have to pay $120/wedge to have that ability."

There are some things about TV coverage of the Tour that bother me, but referencing the parts making up the players clubs is not one of them. Besides, the internet and THP is a pretty wonderful resource if you really want to know.

~Rock

I love golf equipment, but if they started droning on about shafts, I would turn the channel.

I think it would be pretty boring imo. There is so much diversity in all the fitting that goes on it would probably be way too much to even talk about anyway. Anyone who actually would have an interest in that and some knowledge about this stuff doesnt need to know imo because they also know how diverse it is and quite frankly it doesnt matter imo. Of course it may matter to you but i think you would be one in an extreme minority for that list.

play be play callers dont much talk about what bats or gloves are being used in baseball or hocky players stick choices. Its just not ineteresting enough but what is ineteresting to me and I think many are the thoughts of what one is trying to do. What their game managing and/or shot logic is and where they are trying to place the ball and do what with it. We already know whatever club it is, is fit for him individually anyway. I dont really care what the shaft legnth, flex , kickpoint, lie angle and loft is. To me thats like wanting to know his pants and shoe size. Just far too much info and not necessary at all for me to know or care about. The reason one is hitting long or very accurate is because he is good.

Like others said, I don't think the average person really cares. Think it would just clutter up the broadcast

The average golf fan is not tuning in to hear that some pro is hitting an x stiff shaft that has been tipped and bent to 7*. They want to hear that they hit a PW 160 yards in hopes that one day they can compare themselves to that guy.

Plus we know through WITB what the winner is playing every week.

The average golf fan is not tuning in to hear that some pro is hitting an x stiff shaft that has been tipped and bent to 7*. They want to hear that they hit a PW 160 yards in hopes that one day they can compare themselves to that guy.

Completely agree with this. While I'd like to know that info I know I'm not in the majority and know most people just like thinking wow he hit a 210 yard 7 iron or whatever the ridiculous distance may be.

TV COVERAGE OF PGA events????

Last part is key here IMO. We get a taste of this every week. For me that's perfect

The average fan wouldn't know what have the things were even if they listed them and they would change the channel

I am an equipment junkie and this would bore the heck out of me. I have the internet, I can figure out what is in a guys bag (if I can't recognize it off of the TV coverage) so to me would add nothing. I like seeing what the pros hit, but it really won't affect what I put in my bag too much as I definitely don't have a pros game.

Also, you think any of these announcers could remember all of that stuff? If they couldn't, how many pages of notes would they have to sort through to figure out what Harris English's specs are on his 8 iron?

And then for the casual viewer... ugh, I can't imagine them giving even one a iota of a care.

Nothing's free :)

I don't think most people care about that stuff actually. People like us are just a small part of the audience. Half the time the announcers don't have any clue about equipement. They still call a hybrid "some sort of hybrid club".
QFT, I laugh each time I hear it!

I love knowing about the equipment as many others on here do but most of the people watching don't care that much

I agree with the major opinion here...but sure sometimes some equipment info is nice. Rory & Nike, putter changes, Tiger driver shaft change.

I don't want details about their equipment, but sometimes things can be relevant, nice to know or otherwise interesting.

Personally, I would like to see more interviews during the round. As Tiger is walking to the next shot I would like to know what he is thinking about the last one, and the next shot. What strategy is he using? What does he think of the guys ahead/behind? After he hits the shot he just told you he was going to do, how did he like it? I don't know, it seems like this sort of engagement would be pretty cool, and make us less spectators.

I would also like to see and hear more from the other golfers in the tournament.

The 200 yard 6 iron isn't all that when you realize they're only wanting to carry it 180.

Personally, I would like to see more interviews during the round. As Tiger is walking to the next shot I would like to know what he is thinking about the last one, and the next shot. What strategy is he using? What does he think of the guys ahead/behind? After he hits the shot he just told you he was going to do, how did he like it? I don't know, it seems like this sort of engagement would be pretty cool, and make us less spectators.

I would also like to see and hear more from the other golfers in the tournament.

sort of what I mentioned and agree. The strategy and game plan for the shots at hand would make it entertaining. I think it also would make golf more interesting to those who never give that stuff a thought. They would see how its not just about hitting the ball but is very much about how, why, where.

Back