The Ultimate Golf Event Period - The 2014 Morgan Cup - #THPMC

Having everyone tee off on one would have been a bit much I will agree. 10 tee times. The later guys would have had it rough.

This make a ton of sense, and I love how it was done. Splitting the tees at 1 and 10 just makes the morning round a bit easier to navigate through to get to the afternoon round without having to sweat it.

Exactly. Well put. I know I've been on the other end running around trying to make a tee time at the other course

I think this makes a ton of sense for pace of play, and wouldn't be surprised to see it happen during the afternoon round as well. The only downfall is that every single player and participant won't be able to watch the first tee shots from the opening group, but the positives from this choice outweighs the negatives.

FWIW, it's nice that #1 and #10 on True Blue are both par 5 holes that have pretty open fairways on them, the tee shot isn't that hard if a person can control his nerves on that tee. Plus, both holes are 3 shot holes unless you're a big hitter, so a bad tee shot won't hurt all that much if it happens.

How many tee shots did you watch on #1 last year? :alien:
The only people able to watch all the tee shots were the last groups going off.
That does not change and is why the event is captured on video.

Which will make the recap vids even more special.

Makes sense with 40 people teeing off. Gives everyone time before 2nd round

Without a doubt, this was a very rational move and will really help with such a large group. They do this in pro tournaments a lot, especially in the pro-am round. I teed off on 10 in the Buick Open one time and thought there would be less pressure. Only problem was that Tiger was teeing off on 1 at the same time and the two tees are parallel. I've never seen so many people in one place at the same time.

Split tees should help pace of play a ton. It makes a ton of sense.

And on that bombshell, I'm going to google maps hole 10 and start plotting. As with all changes made by THP, this one makes sense and will make things better for the event.

Like eveyone else has said it makes nothing but totall sense. I like it

I think not only does this improve potential completion times, but it also allows most golfers to stay more fresh. Watching 36 golfers tee off can stiffen up a player after even the best of range sessions -- Surely those teeing off last will greatly appreciate this.

I think not only does this improve potential completion times, but it also allows most golfers to stay more fresh. Watching 36 golfers tee off can stiffen up a player after even the best of range sessions -- Surely those teeing off last will greatly appreciate this.

See my previous post in here. I appreciate it GREATLY. Haha

I prefer the tee shot on 10 quite a bit. I think #18 could be huge for momentum for the groups the start on the back 9 as they make the turn.

I prefer the tee shot on 10 quite a bit. I think #18 could be huge for momentum for the groups the start on the back 9 as they make the turn.

I don't think there's a real advantage for starting on either side. Yes, 8/9 aren't a bad finish, but 2/3/4 are a tough stretch of holes that can swing in favour of one pairing very quickly.

15-18, that's going to be a big stretch for those that start on 10 playing combined score. I think that is a tough stretch right there.

I don't think there's a real advantage for starting on either side. Yes, 8/9 aren't a bad finish, but 2/3/4 are a tough stretch of holes that can swing in favour of one pairing very quickly.

I agree that there is no real advantage. I just think starting on the back is very interesting for the reasons you mention. Those first holes are some of the tougher holes on the course. It puts a nasty stretch right into a very important part of a match play round. Momentum swing could be huge.

I agree that there is no real advantage. I just think starting on the back is very interesting for the reasons you mention. Those first holes are some of the tougher holes on the course. It puts a nasty stretch right into a very important part of a match play round. Momentum swing could be huge.

I love the start to the back nine at True Blue. Some really level holes that get wins purely on great shots. I still think #13 is my favourite.

I love just thinking about True Blue. Reminds me how fun the course and event really are. Can't wait to get back there.

I love just thinking about True Blue. Reminds me how fun the course and event really are. Can't wait to get back there.

I have spent the latter half of this morning day dreaming about TB and that first tee shot. I actually think #10 sets up great for me. #GetItStartedEarly

Just caught up. Explosion :)

Split is wise. I don't think it will take anything from anything, but it will give people good time to switch to Caledonia mode.

Awesome can't wait to tee it off

I watched 20 guys tee off before me, but that's not the point. The point was that it's special for everyone to be on that first tee together before the matches start, to hear your instructions, take some photos and share the moment together. I assume something similar will happen on the range this year before the group is split in half.

I'm betting its still special, its the Morgan Cup after all, it IS special.

I'm betting its still special, its the Morgan Cup after all, it IS special.

Nope. Its ruined. Change is awful.
Even though we were chastized earlier for not having enough time for people.
THP NEVER changes for change sake. And I will say it again...THIS EVENT IS NOT LIKE ANY PREVIOUS MORGAN CUP!
That event is dead and buried for good reason. I know too many people struggle with that both in it and outside of it, but that era is over!

And if I had a dollar every time someone says "I assume it will", I would be wealthy. Nobody should assume ANYTHING...

Nope. Its ruined. Change is awful.
Even though we were chastized earlier for not having enough time for people.
THP NEVER changes for change sake. And I will say it again...THIS EVENT IS NOT LIKE ANY PREVIOUS MORGAN CUP!
That event is dead and buried for good reason. I know too many people struggle with that both in it and outside of it, but that era is over!

Those people must not be paying attention. Especially those inside it, because being even slightly involved in last years, I can tell you about the only process or thing that is the same is the golf, the location, and the name. The rest of it is new and improved in some form or function. This aint your daddy's Morgan Cup anymore..

And if I had a dollar every time someone says "I assume it will", I would be wealthy. Nobody should assume ANYTHING...

I am going to assume it will all be awesome and everything will be well thought out...personally, I think those are safe assumptions. Anything else is just gravy. :act-up:

Back