Bobby Jones Black Driver Review

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Bobby Jones has never been on my radar as far as equipment goes, but it seems like they have really stepped it up this year. I love the Matte finish and headcover and it sounds like this one has the performance to match its good looks. Great write-up.

Enjoyed the review Dan.
What a great looking club. I would have to try this one first hand to hear it for myself, but it sounds like it's a performer.

Fantastic review Dan and this club is a looker for sure with a classic headcover to wrap up the package.

I'm interested in your thoughts on the spin. I know your a high spin high launch player and Jesse mentions spin for most players being 1500-2500.

I won't ask for exact numbers but can you confirm that you saw a reduction in spin with this stock combo as compared to other OEM's.

I know you will typically take a stock setup and hit moon balls.....any different here?

Great review. I have to say, that is one good looking driver. Aside from the absence of a velocity slot, it reminds me a lot of the Adams XTD.

I like the looks of this driver. That little red pinstripe is perfect.

Great work on this and I like that you had a number of people with different swings give it a try. It defintely has some shock value in terms of sound, but again it appears this is another Ortiz club that is incredibly funtional.

As Ive loved the early writeups on the FW and Hybo for this line, I've been waiting for this one to see if the feedback and excitement would carry over to the driver and it appears it has.

I'll take the hot face and solid distance/dispersion

Great review Dan

Fantastic review Dan and this club is a looker for sure with a classic headcover to wrap up the package.

I'm interested in your thoughts on the spin. I know your a high spin high launch player and Jesse mentions spin for most players being 1500-2500.

I won't ask for exact numbers but can you confirm that you saw a reduction in spin with this stock combo as compared to other OEM's.

I know you will typically take a stock setup and hit moon balls.....any different here?

I hit a pretty high ball with most setups, and didn't have any issues elevating the bobby Jones black. For a 10.5* head with a 50 gram mid spin/launch shaft, I'd have a hard time defining the flight as "ballooning" but rather elevated penetration, which is often what i search for (as shaft and loft can usually improve on this). I didn't have any issues gaming this, unless the wind was directly into my face.

It was also great to have a variety of golfers hit this alongside me (many due to intrigue) and most experienced really solid flight as well. i don't think that's all that typical with a totally stock setup from any OEM.

Great review Dan. From a looks standpoint, this driver knocks it out of the park for me. Mid-launch mid-spin shaft paired with the low spin head would have me picking the highest loft available for sure. And I LOVE that headcover!

Nice write-up Dan. I'm really interested in everything Bobby Jones this year. Jesse Ortiz has worked wonders. Definitely want to hit this, I hope someone has one in there bag come June.

Dan, I know the name will not get a ton of buzz like other things reviewed, but just wanted to say this was very well written.

Dan, I know the name will not get a ton of buzz like other things reviewed, but just wanted to say this was very well written.

It honestly was.

Danathaniel, good stuff here. I know the sound was a bit stunning initially and more boisterous than we are accustomed to seeing recently, but it certainly goes to show that perfomrance stands tall either way. With Jesse behind these I was sure the performance would be there, and it definitely was by your accounts. Good job buddy.

Good stuff Dan Canadan! Thanks.

As for the looks of the club...you can never go wrong with matte black!!

Great review Dan. Really love the addition of others hitting it, and even throwing in a quote from one of them.

Sounds like it performs great, and sound wouldn't be an issue for me; I play a SuperFast 2.0 :bulgy-eyes: I like the fact that you get feedback of ball impact position on the face. Any issues cleaning the ball markings off?

i gamed a bobby jones hybrid a couple of years ago and loved it, wouldn't be afraid to try anything else by them.

Great review there Dan! I would love to get my hands on this sucker and give it a swing, but I have a feeling that findding it may pose a slight challenge...

Great write up Dan, tons of useful info there. The looks of this thing almost look like a jet and I bet the ball takes off like one. Another great shaft pairing as well.

Love the mate black look

Great review Dan

Well done Dan! Sound is a key ingredient for some, but let's face it. Keeping it play out weighs anything cosmetic or audible. I love the head cover pairing with this driver. I do wish that there was a different finish on the face though. That is more for an aid to squaring the club at address and not about the overall looks. I like that black matte finish, looks stealth like. Great job buddy

Thank you guys for the kind thoughts. It was a very good experience for me, one that practically wrote itself after experiencing the driver first hand.

To the question regarding cleaning the face, I think it's very easy. The tee left a more notable impression on the base of the face, but the ball marks wiped off well.

Don't they offer a money back guarantee if you order one but don't like it?

Sorta wish I'd hit this more when I was down in FL looking back on it.

Back