The Ultimate Golf Event Period - The 2014 Morgan Cup - #THPMC

How does it feel? Now that we know who we are facing how does it feel? How much are those brains turning? Are you training the same or harder or easier?

Changes in the event have blind sided me and instead of playing in the AM I'm going to work on the swing. I am thinking maybe 10 rounds between now and the MC. At least 20-30 hours of putting and 40-60 hours of range time over the next 10 weeks.

I want a repeatable swing that will stand up no matter what changes we get. And I'm not positive more changes aremt coming.

I think knowing the names/faces is the biggest part, just because it makes the whole thing a little easier to envision. Add in the fact that I now have some different holes to think about in the AM start and the wheels are definitely turning. I spent a good deal of time working on shots I think/know I'll have and tried to approach them just like I will in July.

Gotcha. That does introduce a bit of a wrinkle. Glad I'm not the captain, Wardy can sort out all of those fine strategy points.

Man, Saturday nights dinner is going to be freaking epic.

Yep. Shandy for everyone!

How does it feel? Now that we know who we are facing how does it feel? How much are those brains turning? Are you training the same or harder or easier?

Changes in the event have blind sided me and instead of playing in the AM I'm going to work on the swing. I am thinking maybe 10 rounds between now and the MC. At least 20-30 hours of putting and 40-60 hours of range time over the next 10 weeks.

I want a repeatable swing that will stand up no matter what changes we get. And I'm not positive more changes aremt coming.

I truly mean this when I say it. It's an absolute honor to be paired with the guys that I'm playing with, both on my team and the opposing teams. I haven't teed it up with any of these guys before, and it is my privilege to do it.

The clubs/swag is awesome.

The courses are incredible.

But, for me, it's really about the people.

With that said, I'm coming to do work.

I truly mean this when I say it. It's an absolute honor to be paired with the guys that I'm playing with, both on my team and the opposing teams. I haven't teed it up with any of these guys before, and it is my privilege to do it.

The clubs/swag is awesome.

The courses are incredible.

But, for me, it's really about the people.

With that said, I'm coming to do work.

Can I have your clubs then? Maybe play the courses for you? You can hang with the people.

Can I have your clubs then? Maybe play the courses for you? You can hang with the people.

Done deal. (Although you currently have a lot of my MC bag...)

I would hang out with this group in a Wal-Mart parking lot for the weekend. I respect the heck out of at least 34 of you guys.

Spoiler
(That's the joke)

I feel similar to Seth in that I have never met any of the guys I am playing against or my partner. I will say that I respect all of them and would do anything I could for them. It's nice to know who it will be though. Will be playing a little less than I thought I would and working on swing and short game with my instructor more. Will still play, but not "play into form" like I thought I might. Some good things happened tonight in my after work nine. Need to keep up the momentum though.

#PeakAtTheRightTime

JM

Lets just say with the matchup's I have drawn boy I will have my hands full. I am paired with great partners so I will be ready. One thing that will not change is my prep work going in. No matchup would make me work any less. I'm putting in the work to be ready to put my best foot forward come July. So far this has been a ride of a lifetime and there is so much more to come

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well said Seth and Freddie. Can't believe it's getting this close. It's crazy to look back and feel like it just got started.

I'm excited about my matchups, I think that seeing who I'm playing has made me push myself even harder these last 60 days. I'm excited where my game is at, how I'm striking the ball and the changes my swing has undergone. It's going to be great going up against 4 quality golfers in the team rounds.

I also couldn't of asked for a better partner. KC and I have really bonded over the past month and our relationship is going to help keep us strong when in the face of adversity. We are up to the challenge and are ready to go to battle.

The Ultimate Golf Event Period - The 2014 Morgan Cup - #THPMC

Everything is the same. These changes and knowing the guys I'll be playing with doesn't change my feelings or preparation. Its still golf. It's still a matter of one thing. How and how many times I hit that little ball.
Everything else is out of my hands.

Last edited:

Knowing who we are playing is a motivation and reality check. It's a motivator to kick up my practice and preparation. I know I'm gonna have to be at my absolute best to win my matches, so I'm of the same mindset--continue develop a repeatable swing that will hold up under pressure and honing my putting and short game.

ANNOUNCEMENT

For a number of years I have felt that too much of the team environment was stressed on Singles, so today we are announcing a change. The formats have been set and those will not be altered, but the 2nd round of golf will be scored differently.

Saturday PM Round - Alternate Shot
You will be playing your match twice.
Two 9 hole rounds will be played in match play rather than one 18 hole match.
This means that 2 points are up for grabs in each matchup rather than 1.

What this also means is that when you close out your 9 hole match, you are not required to play anymore until the 2nd match begins. Due to logistics, you will not be able to skip ahead to #10 on Caledonia most likely, but you will not be required to score it.

We will ask that if you do finish your 1st 9 hole match early, that you pick up the pace a bit until you reach 10 as to not hold anybody up. If you were to fall behind the group in front of you, and your 9 hole match has concluded, you will be penalized.
I love it, really makes each shot count even more.

I also couldn't of asked for a better partner. KC and I have really bonded over the past month and our relationship is going to help keep us strong when in the face of adversity. We are up to the challenge and are ready to go to battle.

You have a great partner there, for sure.

Didn't think I could have more focus, but as pairings announced it automatically notched up.

The changes are great as it is a chance for your team to get out to a big lead or get that last point if one none doesn't pan out. In terms of myself and prep..... I ultimately am working my hard to be the best I can be. I think it will be a lot of fun playing against the best because you really want to test your skills and be at the best of your ability under the crunch. I am not going to change what I am doing. Just staying steady and getting a little better with every passing day under it is time to go into the field of battle

Proud Member of #TeamParadise

For me, knowing the team matchups have given me even more motivation. Having absolute quality opponents means I have to put that much more prep. As if the event was not grand enough, the tough matchups will propel me to work even harder. I know I need to bring my best game possible in order to represent THP, THE MC, MY TEAM AMD MY PARTNER properly! I have said it before and I will say it again. I could not ask for a better partner for the team rounds. My assistant captain, my friend. We can be the best we can be and make unforgettable memories!

For the record, I love the point changes, and the teeing off from the 1 & 10 tees for the morning round. It's all little wrinkles, the evolution of what was already the greatest golf event ever, and what continues to be the greatest golf event EVER!

That being said, it's just adding one more critical juncture where you'll stand over the ball and need to make a shot. The question is, will you? It's not up to me, or Josh, or anyone. It's just up to you. I'm excited for all the changes that have been made. This is going to be a truly amazing event, and I'm so grateful to be a part of it.

#EveryShotCounts
#GetThere

ANNOUNCEMENT

For a number of years I have felt that too much of the team environment was stressed on Singles, so today we are announcing a change. The formats have been set and those will not be altered, but the 2nd round of golf will be scored differently.

Saturday PM Round - Alternate Shot
You will be playing your match twice.
Two 9 hole rounds will be played in match play rather than one 18 hole match.
This means that 2 points are up for grabs in each matchup rather than 1.

What this also means is that when you close out your 9 hole match, you are not required to play anymore until the 2nd match begins. Due to logistics, you will not be able to skip ahead to #10 on Caledonia most likely, but you will not be required to score it.

We will ask that if you do finish your 1st 9 hole match early, that you pick up the pace a bit until you reach 10 as to not hold anybody up. If you were to fall behind the group in front of you, and your 9 hole match has concluded, you will be penalized.

Just getting caught up after trying to get a nap before working this double, but this gives me the jolt I need!! So excited to share these rounds with my teammate and playing partner Marc, we're going to be ready!!

I think I'll continue the path I've been on, I've put in a lot of hours on the range this season and I can't remember ever playing with a purpose like this has brought. I want the same things as you do.

Id say that my preperation is going to change. Not necessarily due to whom my partner and I are playing in either match ( although we pulled some strong competition). I made a plan at the beggining of the year. Planned out where I wanted to be by certain dates and checkpoints. Well, having Ben as an spi instructor wasnt in my initial plan. Prgressing through my putting has been 3 times as fast as I thoigh my putting would take. This has opened up somw time to work on a few other items.

With time approaching very quickly, im done changing things. Now its time to focus on what I have and fine tune it. Starting Sunday its time to shift gears focus not on fundamentals and my swing but scoring..

Okay gentlemen, your Saturday matchups have all been officially announced.
Your Friday will be an amazing day that NOBODY has a clue about.
Your Sunday will be filled with singles.

You have 60 days or so before the event is here and we are asking all 60 of you to meet the criteria and do so with a bang.
Show the THPers out there, those following the event and the sponsors that this event brings excitement to the community.
If 200 posts is too much to ask, then it tells us something for future events of this magnitude.

For the last 2 months of action, we have a request. Bring it.
Everybody has reached the requirements so far and for that we applaud you.
Some however have decided that their 200 posts per month should be relegated to local area chat threads or saying "welcome to THP" to new members. Nothing wrong with either of those approaches as they are with in the rules, but we are asking, maybe the better word is telling, you that the last two months, we need to see some action.

If 10 minutes a day on THP is too much to ask for, for 6-10 posts, then I am at a loss for words. As I said, everybody has done great so far, but for the last 2 months, we are going to say that local chat threads and welcome to THP posts will not count towards your 200 mark. You have plenty of time to finish off the month strong.

Come next week, THP will be meeting with each and every sponsor to discuss this event. To discuss Staff Sponsor Day. To discuss the future. Its hard to believe that in listing the 40 THPers involved, I only got to 31 before having to look. That tells me something since its my job. A...That I need to do it better. And B...That the last two months is your chance to shine.

Each of you have done a great job in this long and monumental journey and the finish line is in your sights. Some say we ask for a lot, I am not sure I agree, but lets say we do...We are asking for you to tear it up and be a part of this community for the remaining time until Staff Sponsor Day kicks off. 10 minutes a day is all we are asking. Join us in making sure the final turn is an amazing chapter.

Im bumping this one again.

Id say that my preperation is going to change. Not necessarily due to whom my partner and I are playing in either match ( although we pulled some strong competition). I made a plan at the beggining of the year. Planned out where I wanted to be by certain dates and checkpoints. Well, having Ben as an spi instructor wasnt in my initial plan. Prgressing through my putting has been 3 times as fast as I thoigh my putting would take. This has opened up somw time to work on a few other items.

With time approaching very quickly, im done changing things. Now its time to focus on what I have and fine tune it. Starting Sunday its time to shift gears focus not on fundamentals and my swing but scoring..

Agree with you to an extent. My prep isn't changing at all. I'm a little behind schedule due to the lack of rounds I've been able to get in, but after my last round I'm pretty excited. Like you, I'm going into maintenance mode with my swing. I found a nice spot for it. I'll continue to work with Jim on my putting and short game. The scores should take care of themselves. I'm playing in a big 3 day outing starting on Sunday where my group is the first group off ever day, so there's going to be quite a few watching us. I'm going to treat it as Morgan Cup first tee prep. It may not be the same, but will have a bit more pressure than the tournament I've played in. 90 holes in 2.5 days, can't wait. Just another step in my journey.

One thing I thought about with the afternoon round having 2 different matches: say there's a team that doesn't play well right out of the gate and is 3 down through 4 holes or something like that. They're probably not going to win the first match, but do they have the mental ability to snap out of that and turn their games around for the second 9 holes, or does their bad play carry over to the second match? Momentum swings happen in match play all the time, but sometimes when there's a lot of bad momentum going on, it's hard to shake that off when you're in the middle of the course and hitting shots.

Agree with you to an extent. My prep isn't changing at all. I'm a little behind schedule due to the lack of rounds I've been able to get in, but after my last round I'm pretty excited. Like you, I'm going into maintenance mode with my swing. I found a nice spot for it. I'll continue to work with Jim on my putting and short game. The scores should take care of themselves. I'm playing in a big 3 day outing starting on Sunday where my group is the first group off ever day, so there's going to be quite a few watching us. I'm going to treat it as Morgan Cup first tee prep. It may not be the same, but will have a bit more pressure than the tournament I've played in. 90 holes in 2.5 days, can't wait. Just another step in my journey.

Thats great man. Keep me update on your playing.

I just know myself and if I dont drsw the line somewhere on my swing ill keep tweeking this and that untill there isnt anything left tovput towards things like course managment, shortgame ( bump and rjns, different clubs but same yardage). So although its not as "pretty and fluid" as ibwould like it to be ive been shootjng some good scores. So must move on.

One thing I thought about with the afternoon round having 2 different matches: say there's a team that doesn't play well right out of the gate and is 3 down through 4 holes or something like that. They're probably not going to win the first match, but do they have the mental ability to snap out of that and turn their games around for the second 9 holes, or does their bad play carry over to the second match? Momentum swings happen in match play all the time, but sometimes when there's a lot of bad momentum going on, it's hard to shake that off when you're in the middle of the course and hitting shots.

I played a 9 hole match play round today and it was interesting. Really makes you look at the risk/reward of each shot. It should make for some very close matches. I do think guys with short memories will have an advantage.

I like to start fast, get up early (if possible) and hit the gas. In a 9 hole match or Alt. shot I think this will be paramount. Not a lot of room to catch up if you are behind.

Back