Online Lessons Yes/No

Golferbest

Reaction score
Handicap
So my spi instructor ask me the other night for some feedback on how to promote online coaching. With this being my first time going through something like this, I could only give him my perspective.

With the money that most of us put out for equipment in a given year, taking a small amount of that and applying it to improving a part of our game would seem an easy decision.

Now I know the negatives could be lack of feedback or explanation from the coach. Maybe lack of discipline on your part with leaving it to yourself to practice and engrain the teaching.

Whatever the reason, im very curious as to what your opinion of online training and some experience you all have had..

Not my cup of tea but I think to gather interest you need lots of success stories that can be shared. People can relate to it easier that way.

Online lessons make more sense for putting. Not for a full swing. At least not at the price I would pay for a lesson. I wouldn't expect to pay full price for an online lesson.

Usually lessons online are grouped into a time frame. At least mine is. So if you have an active coach and say 200 a month that gives you 30 days...are you still hesitant?

You work on something for 25 to 45 minutes and then move one. At least with online, there is all the information at your disposal at any time.

I can literally go through every step of my progress and monitor the success and struggles.

I know someone who's had great success with online lessons combined with working with the instructor in-person periodically too. The online lessons were much cheaper than the in-person lessons and were a great follow-up for them after the lesson. In his case, the instructor knew his swing and flaws well from the in-person lessons. Distance made the online lessons more practical.

In his case, the instructor knew his swing and flaws well from the in-person lessons.

I think this would be a key element for me, I'd be much happier with online followups if a coach had seen me in person, at least once. I'd like that baseline established rather than just submitting videos or doing skype type sessions.

I would think it would be hard to see very small problems the bigger swing flaws would be more easy to spot but i don't think i would want am online lesson

Yes.

Technology is crazy now, and online has the ability to give a ton of info as well, depending on the service you use.

I was a big pessimist about it until: http://www.thehackersparadise.com/?p=22811

What MobiCoach does, is nothing short of impressive. Instant feedback audibly and visually, lessons set to your preferred length, and much more affordable. It was a pretty eye opening experience.

I know some might take this as a shill, but its not, if I didn't have a pro already that I trusted wholly I would 100% be willing to use online lessons full time.

This is an interesting question. Part of me wants to say no and only go with someone who can see me in person but with all the crazy technology we have today like Jman mentioned perhaps it wouldn't be all that bad. Obviously it would depend on the coach but I think I'd be willing to give it a try if the price were right

If the online instructor explains thing in a way that is easy to understand and the student puts in the work, there is nothing wrong with online lessons. With the technology available a good video can be broken down and made useful in improving ones swing.

Yes, I have used the v1 golf app to send my pro pictures and videos all winter. It has made all the difference for me. It's like having a 5-10 minute mini lesson.

I would think it would be hard to see very small problems the bigger swing flaws would be more easy to spot but i don't think i would want am online lesson

Good thoughts, however with the technology today id have to disagree. Its amazing what you can catch on video. I uploaded a video and honestly with 10 minutes my insteuctor had my video broke down, lines drawn and an action plan on how to fix it.

Our resident swing pro panda ( who is just awesome btw) does very similar things. Watches a few vids and has suggestion and fixes rather quickly.

so I ask you this as one who has this opinion. And honestly thank you for replying. If an instructor gave you a week for free, to try his teaching would it make it an easier decision? If in that week you built the confidence up mand realized okay this could work would you commit to say a month?

Online lessons make more sense for putting. Not for a full swing. At least not at the price I would pay for a lesson. I wouldn't expect to pay full price for an online lesson.
Agreed, there would need to be some kind of discount due to the remote aspect.

No .. Too hard to learn .. Way too hard . Need to see ball flight , or be in constant contact with teacher (like lee) via phone text or email .. Not enough follow up for most online lessons

No .. Too hard to learn .. Way too hard . Need to see ball flight , or be in constant contact with teacher (like lee) via phone text or email .. Not enough follow up for most online lessons

Have you tried online before? I ask because I habe constant contact with my jnsgeuctor. We message back and forth daily and come up with a gameplan quite regularly. .

I rebuttal alot of these comments not as an argument, but just truly want to try and hit every aspect of the conversation.

I don't agree you need to see ball flight at all. My lessons at Golftec were phenomenal and worked wonders for my game and we hit into nets. I worried about my swing and getting that solid and now the ball gets in the way.

Evok

here is the one I did from golf channel swing fix
http://swingfix.golfchannel.com/videos/chris--57/view

the problem is..I couldn't replicate this swing on the course..I have to feel throw now..not lag.. Only way this old fart like myself can hit the ball. Instructor loved it..but misses were dead right. He never saw the ball flight .. They just look at mechanics..never know results. Just my opinion..ball flight for me and a cold can of Milwaukee's best is all I need

I know someone who's had great success with online lessons combined with working with the instructor in-person periodically too. The online lessons were much cheaper than the in-person lessons and were a great follow-up for them after the lesson. In his case, the instructor knew his swing and flaws well from the in-person lessons. Distance made the online lessons more practical.

This would be my only reason for online lessons.

i dunno i like meeting and hitting balls at the range with my instructor he can see exactly whats going on and see what i'm doing wrong. i know theres technology and i'm sure it can help some people i just wouldn't be into doing it personally. not my cup of tea.

I think the online lessons where students send in videos of their swings from face on and down the line and the instructor draws lines to show if their head moves or body slides, if their swing is over the top or on plane, if their takeaway is too far inside, etc. can be helpful, but I would only consider paying for an online lesson if I were having problems and wasn't solving them with my pro on the range or didn't have a pro close by.

Good thoughts, however with the technology today id have to disagree. Its amazing what you can catch on video. I uploaded a video and honestly with 10 minutes my insteuctor had my video broke down, lines drawn and an action plan on how to fix it.

Our resident swing pro panda ( who is just awesome btw) does very similar things. Watches a few vids and has suggestion and fixes rather quickly.

so I ask you this as one who has this opinion. And honestly thank you for replying. If an instructor gave you a week for free, to try his teaching would it make it an easier decision? If in that week you built the confidence up and realized okay this could work would you commit to say a month?

I would say yes to this question, the closest drive time I have ever hand with the 2 different instructors I have used is slightly over an hour. So yes, if I had confidence in the instructor I would sign up for a months instruction.

I am not against it ... But ... If I have drive to the range and record my swing some how ... Drive home, upload it, then have a discussion? For me, I will just go to my instructor at the range I went to anyway ...

Sorry what am I missing ... I buy tripod, or talk a friend into recording me, I assume the camera on my phone is good enough ...drive to the range, Drive home to upload that large of file ...

Sounds like a lot of extra steps ... But I must be missing something

I am not against it ... But ... If I have drive to the range and record my swing some how ... Drive home, upload it, then have a discussion? For me, I will just go to my instructor at the range I went to anyway ...

Sorry what am I missing ... I buy tripod, or talk a friend into recording me, I assume the camera on my phone is good enough ...drive to the range, Drive home to upload that large of file ...

You're missing the fact that some can drive 10 mins to the range to collect swing footage and then upload it opposed to over an hour to meet with a good instructor. Not everyone has one close by unfortunately.

Check this out: http://www.thehackersparadise.com/?p=22811

While some do require you to go home and upload, they don't all do that. Some are, in fact, instantaneous and you are in direct contact with the pro at all times.

Jman, thanks for the feedback ... I will definitely sit down and read it in detail.

I will be honest it looks interesting, plus I get to see what the pro sees ... I know when I see pictures of my swing, I say to myself, "holy crap you idiot" I serve up more chicken wings then Buffalo Wild Wings!

Back