2014 Fitness & Nutrition Thread With Coach Beard

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's time for change. I am disgusted with myself.
I got on the scale this morning and lets just say I am 300+.
I have severe asthma ( have been intubated and have been on a respirator after one severe attack almost 3 years ago)
I don't eat well at all.
Energy level sucks
Have sleep apnea
I am not in a good place right now!

I have let myself down before, I am hoping this thread gets me on track and keeps me there!

My hopes:
To shed pounds, I have always said imagine how good I'd look at 220, maybe that could start off as a goal.
To get in better shape, and be able to breathe better, sleep better, look better, and basically BE better.

My Challenges: (There are many)
I eat horribly (LOVE junk food, Diet coke FREAK!)
I am a picky eater,to the point I cant think of anything "healthy" food wise I enjoy.
If I don't like the food, I cant bring myself to eat it (I've tried before).
I'm afraid without accountability I will fail again.

My Plan:
Start walking a few nights a week (at least) with my wife
TRYING to eat better, drink better
Body weight exercises
Drink 1 gallon of water per day
Protein shakes as snacks to fill me up
Taking a daily Multivitamin to help my body get some nutrients I lack through diet.
Move exercise bike from garage into living room, and watch one program per week (to start) while pedaling.
Post what I have done here.

I am hoping I can get this done, I am asking for your help and guidance along the way.

I've been to a lot of the places that you're currently at, CJ. And I know a lot of the demons that you're currently battling. I'm still battling them.

ytatydar.jpg

This is a picture of me in 2008 when I was a little over 300lbs. I wasn't really exercising (lifting weights, hardly any cardio), I ate a lot of bad foods, and I drank way too much alcohol -- like a bottle of wine at a time.

I didn't realize how bad it was until I saw that photo from a golf trip. Then I knew that I had to make a change.

I started distance running. I cut back on the alcohol, and I started thinking a lot about what I was eating. I'm now sitting between 225-230 on any given day. I can stand to lose a few more pounds, but I know that I'm much more in control of my life and my health.

I still fight the fight, almost daily. But that photo is in my office to remind me to stay motivated and to not get complacent. I honestly hate that photo, which is a shame because it was taken at Royal County Down. But, I'll always have it on my wall as a reminder.

I like your plan, and I know you can stick with it. You have a lot of people here to support you. Don't get frustrated, don't stop trying. Just keep working at it and you'll get there.

You can do it.

Some really encouraging stuff in here today. After being out on the lake this weekend, I realized how scared I was to take my shirt off. I'm bad about hitting the workouts hard for a few weeks before taking a month off. Just really trying to stay motivated.

I've been to a lot of the places that you're currently at, CJ. And I know a lot of the demons that you're currently battling. I'm still battling them.

ytatydar.jpg

This is a picture of me in 2008 when I was a little over 300lbs. I wasn't really exercising (lifting weights, hardly any cardio), I ate a lot of bad foods, and I drank way too much alcohol -- like a bottle of wine at a time.

I didn't realize how bad it was until I saw that photo from a golf trip. Then I knew that I had to make a change.

I started distance running. I cut back on the alcohol, and I started thinking a lot about what I was eating. I'm now sitting between 225-230 on any given day. I can stand to lose a few more pounds, but I know that I'm much more in control of my life and my health.

I still fight the fight, almost daily. But that photo is in my office to remind me to stay motivated and to not get complacent. I honestly hate that photo, which is a shame because it was taken at Royal County Down. But, I'll always have it on my wall as a reminder.

I like your plan, and I know you can stick with it. You have a lot of people here to support you. Don't get frustrated, don't stop trying. Just keep working at it and you'll get there.

You can do it.

Bump again because it's worth it.

I've been working out, gym, running & golf...some weight loss and loosing some fat. I have no problem with the physical training, but my eating sucks big time. I know what I'm supposed to do and eat, but I just can't manage it.

I don't eat breakfast, during weekdays I rarely eat proper food during the day, sometimes a salad, a protein filled snack / yoghurt, but sometimes nothing. Then at home I eat a home made meal with the family and sometimes a second dinner with the wife when the kids are in bed. Then a small / medium amount of something sweet. I hate that I fall for the bowl of ice cream, or a couple of pieces of chocolate, but I just keep doing it. Stupid.

End rant.

Hard crossfit workout today.

3rm for full snatch 75#

5 rft
20 alternating pistol box squats
10 power snatch 75#
5 burpee box jumps 20 inch box

21:30 toast. This is this first crossfit wod that I almost threw up during and it feels great. CJ as you drop the weight you will feel so much better. Even at 255 where I am now compared to the 325 I started at I can do so much. It is so great just to be able to move. Little successes will snowball to bigger successes.

Reached a goal today. Got on the scale and was at officially only 10 lbs to go to reach my 175 mark. Pretty darn excited.

Well Done Josh. Need to make sure you plan for the 5 pound gain that you will get in MSP.

Reached a goal today. Got on the scale and was at officially only 10 lbs to go to reach my 175 mark. Pretty darn excited.

GG and JB leading by example. This thread is most certainly about more than golf, its about living.

Dang JB. Fantastic work.

It's crazy that it works this way, but I just don't find it hard any more and I am on a very low calorie diet right now and have been for months. I'm never hungry except for right before meals. I was hungry for awhile, but that's long over with. I think cheat meals play a big part in keeping my body burning too, because I can literally eat anything I want for two days and still lose 2-4lbs a week no problem.

I absolutely agree hawk... in fact, I think a day or two of plus calorie meals will actually benefit weight loss. A - you will keep your sanity and stick to the plan and B - the body will quickly adapt when you cut calories too much, thinking it is starving. A higher calorie meal once or twice a week will go a long way in keeping that from happening. As an aside, just from experience I have had, and have seen when I helped others, eating like that really helps preserve muscle tissue. Losing weight is great, but if you are cannibalizing muscle tissue, you are short changing yourself. When you lose a lot of weight, you will lose some muscle,( especially if you aren't doing any resistance exercises ) no way around that - but you want to minimalize that as much as you can.

Yea it's really my saving grace. And by anything, I really mean anything. I ate a 12 inch pizza and a dozen wings over two days, along with 12 beers or so last weekend. I mainly did it from the reward aspect at first, but eventually read something that said basically what you posted - your body still thinks it's living the fat boy life and expects the calories you were putting in all those other days.

As for muscle, that was sort of my dillema. I wanted to build muscle and lose weight, but I picked the weight loss as priority first. Resistance training has been part of the program too, but with the goal of functional strength. I'm naturally built to be lean anyway, so I'm not overly concerned.

10276049_10154215427995088_1904196866103364916_n.jpg

Back pain, rain, sick family,and a busy work schedule; it seems like golf and exercise has been so far away this past week. Ran four and a half miles yesterday. Plan on playing tomorrow morning. It has just been one of those time periods.... Hoping to double down next week.

Today was a day I realized how much training had paid off. Went to the 6AM class at the gym today (weights and conditioning), and took the afternoon off to play a round. I walked 18 at a hilly course, and wouldn't say I was exhausted, or even that tired at the end. A couple of years ago, it would have been a completely different story.

And JB, congrats! Great job.

I am a sweaty mess right now. I started a yoga program this week to hopefully help with my back issues, and I am also adding in the T25 Focus with it. I am following the yoga program as instructed, but not the T25. I am not going to do that one 6 days a week, but will do it at least 3 to start with. My focus is really on the yoga, but wanted to add something a little more challenging to it as well.

I just did the yoga and then T25 cardio and as I said, I am a sweaty mess. I got a heart rate monitor and I was well over 190 at times.

the cardio T25 gets that heart pumping pretty good doesn't it?

T25 is no joke. At this moment I am too uncoordinated. I ended up on my butt a few times.

the cardio T25 gets that heart pumping pretty good doesn't it?

It sure does! I did the yoga and stayed at a nice fat burning heart rate of around 150. Within 2 minutes of the T25 cardio I was over 170.

Thanks! I needed to start incorporating more exercise into my weight loss plan. My diet has been pretty good, but my working out hasn't, so it was time. I have done the yoga all week so far, and really enjoy it.

T25 is no joke. At this moment I am too uncoordinated. I ended up on my butt a few times.

LOL, I did too! I am so uncoordinated! I have no idea how those guys move so quickly, I was slipping and sliding all over the place.

I am a sweaty mess right now. I started a yoga program this week to hopefully help with my back issues, and I am also adding in the T25 Focus with it. I am following the yoga program as instructed, but not the T25. I am not going to do that one 6 days a week, but will do it at least 3 to start with. My focus is really on the yoga, but wanted to add something a little more challenging to it as well.

I just did the yoga and then T25 cardio and as I said, I am a sweaty mess. I got a heart rate monitor and I was well over 190 at times.

It's amazing how much a short workout can do. I need to force myself to find the time right now - no excuses 30 minutes is possible.

It's amazing how much a short workout can do. I need to force myself to find the time right now - no excuses 30 minutes is possible.

That is my thought too. I can do 30 minutes, there is always 30 minutes in the day to do a workout. Then if I am feeling up to it, I can add another 30 minute workout in.

That is my thought too. I can do 30 minutes, there is always 30 minutes in the day to do a workout. Then if I am feeling up to it, I can add another 30 minute workout in.

Exactly. Thanks for the kick in the butt I needed GG!

The T25/P90x3 hybrid has been kicking my butt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back