THP Bridgestone Indy invitational Pics & Recap

THP Bridgestone Indy invitational Pics & Recap

I really want to put up a recap but my brain is shutting down and somehow I missed this thread yesterday. Here are some thoughts from this weekend.

- Pugatory is exactly that.

- I love seeing good friends again and making new ones.

- When put in the right hands, Bertha go long and then he will hang you said Bertha.

- It's always great to have great guys to play golf with all weekend. Thank you Jugger18, Robman, KC720, tgtt, xThor, Michigan Slice, Iceyshanks, Rbarrtle17, golf3erguy, and Amart. You guys made for such a great weekend of golf

- Four way air hockey is not a good idea with a bunch of Internet golfers.

-Sunscreen helps keep you from feeling like you are on fire all the time. Who would have knew?

-IceyShanks starter kits will be sold nationwide soon and then expanding worldwide. It will be a cult phenomenon.

That's all I have for now. More later when I can think again.

Last edited:
I really want to put up a recap but my brain is shutting down and somehow I missed this thread yesterday. Here are some thoughts from this weekend.

- Pugatory is exactly that.

- I love seeing good friends again and making new ones.

- When put in the right hands, Bertha go long and then he will hang you said Bertha.

- It's always great to have great guys to play golf with all weekend. Thank you Jugger18, Robman, KC720, xThor, Michigan Slice, Iceyshanks, Rbarrtle17, golf3erguy, and Amart. You guys made for such a great weekend of golf

- Four way air hockey is not a good idea with a bunch of Internet golfers.

-Sunscreen helps keep you from feeling like you are on fire all the time. Who would have knew?

-IceyShanks starter kits will be sold nationwide soon and then expanding worldwide. It will be a cult phenomenon.

That's all I have for now. More later when I can think again.

Make checks payable to you or CJ for the starter kit I am in for two.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Looks like everyone had a lot of fun!! Congrats to Deano and Derek on the win! The GoPro actions are so awesome!

I am going to start my recap differently. I'll get to the golf later.

What I wanted to talk about most was the social aspect of this event. A little about me, I am 41 (older than most of the others there) and had face to face conversations with maybe a handful of the 40 people there. I had never met any of the people I played golf with. I also am not the most adept at social situations. I know the basics but have never been the best at big social dinners. So I came to Indy not with worries about the golf, but worries about the rest of the weekend.

I was shocked how enjoyable the social gatherings were. I am relatively new to THP. Most of the people there have been on a lot longer and have clearly developed friendships over time. I was also probably one of the worst golfers there. Combine all that and there would be every reason to think that it would be a struggle to break in much. Well, THP'ers are a special bunch in this regard. You never felt like you could not just walk into a group and join in the conversation. It was amazing quite frankly. It's one thing to read things like that on a message board. It's another thing to experience it. Josh and Morgan should be brimming with pride over the environment they have cultivated by bringing together such quality people. What they have there is, in my experience, rare. From the golfers I played with to the people I got to spend time with eating and drinking, this was the highlight of my weekend.

As an aside I found that making yourself a sympathetic figure helps to break the ice. Things like locking your keys in the car the first 10 minutes you are there and suffering from double leg cramps during dinner work like a charm.

Now onto the golf. Like I said before, I figured I was one of the worst golfers there. I just had no idea how far the gap was between myself and the rest. I have never swung clubs with such talented golfers. It's just like the Titleist commercial says, "we all hit great shots, some just do it more than others". And not a single ego to be found. On the occasions that I hit good shots, there was congratulations all around that were sincere. Again, speaking to the quality of the people on THP. Just getting to play these rounds will improve my game. I picked up on an important key in the grip today by watching the rest of my group all day. I made the change around hole 16 and had the best stretch of holes of the entire weekend! From that standpoint, I am excited to put in the practice time to ingrain it because it clearly worked for me.

This probably will be my only invitational this year. I'm going to try to get in Chicago but the odds are against it. But I came away with meeting 39 other people that, if they called and asked if I wanted to tee it up with them, I'd do all I could to make it happen without a second thought.

So thank you, to everyone. This was truly one of the highlights of my golf life! I can't wait to do it again!

Rob that is awesome man. I am so glad you had a good time. Every thing you said is exactly what makes THP special.

nice to meet you partner i look forward on seeing you in the morgan cup. keep bombing it out there with the driver and reading those short game books and get your putting on track and i think you will do well.

Nice to meet you to man and it was a blast playing two rounds with you this weekend. You got a great game and I bet I hear more seventy rounds out of you. And I'll keep at it with the driver and well everything. My putter and the second club are always my problem. But can't wait to see you back on the course. Take it easy Matt.

Before I doze off to slumber after a weekend of awesomeness, I have a few thoughts to get down.

- I lied, my bed feels way better than the foot rests I had to sleep on all weekend. I guess anything feels comfortable after going all day long.

- To the internet golfer formerly known as Shane P, #BLong (there's only so much you can fit there)

- CJ almost took my eye out in air hockey, and I was just spectating. BTW: Butterfinger cups :thumb:

- Ricky thought he could dodge me this weekend. Not so fast my friend. As advertised folks, he is a great one.

- Has anyone seen Phil yet?

- Do NOT attempt to go end to end putting in a hotel at 1am.

- Dan almost walked away with Apex's, who knew he liked em?

- Pink Bio Cell is money.

- When you have a sore throat from laughing so hard all weekend, you know it was a great one.

- THP weekends are as good as it gets, the Indy Invite lived up to the hype and more. Great food, great golf, great company. Just when you thought it couldn't get better....

- How many people hit #1 fairway again?

- Vman and The Fort bev cart.

- I couldn't have asked for 3 better groups to share rounds with this weekend, it was a blast.

- Much, much more to come.

Heres my recap. I'll be back tomorrow with some shoutouts.

ok not ready for bet yet, a few things from the weekend.

1. Hey Robman, 39* launch angle with the driver is not what most call "optimal"
2. Jman is violent with his air hockey paddle.
3. CJ got worked shooting baskets just as I predicted.
4. Was kind of awkward that GregDan "knew" the waitress at Cheeseburger in Paradise
5. There were WAAAAYYYY too many lefties at this one.
6. O'carrol may be the luckiest SOB on earth.
7. Bolt is absolutely MONEY when it comes to winning 1,000 tickets multiple times.
8. The rough at these courses were BRUTAL.
9. I felt in the extreme minority not having a bertha when I saw all the bags on the range.
10. T0ad was sweating just a little at 9am Saturday.
11. Jersey Rick is good people, wish he didn't live so far away.
12. Canadan in training in quiet, except when Dan yells at him.
13. There were quite a few long knockers in Indy this weekend.
14. I saw quite a bit of chutting this weekend too :)
15. I hate sand traps
16. WAAAAY too many people wore pants in 90+* weather
17. Happy to report 0 whiffs on #1 teebox
18. Coers is truly "unique"
19. We found something Icey cant wint, TRIVIA games!
20. Best Invitational Ever

My favorite photo!

ok not ready for bet yet, a few things from the weekend.

1. Hey Robman, 39* launch angle with the driver is not what most call "optimal"
2. Jman is violent with his air hockey paddle.
3. CJ got worked shooting baskets just as I predicted.
4. Was kind of awkward that GregDan "knew" the waitress at Cheeseburger in Paradise
5. There were WAAAAYYYY too many lefties at this one.
6. O'carrol may be the luckiest SOB on earth.
7. Bolt is absolutely MONEY when it comes to winning 1,000 tickets multiple times.
8. The rough at these courses were BRUTAL.
9. I felt in the extreme minority not having a bertha when I saw all the bags on the range.
10. T0ad was sweating just a little at 9am Saturday.
11. Jersey Rick is good people, wish he didn't live so far away.
12. Canadan in training in quiet, except when Dan yells at him.
13. There were quite a few long knockers in Indy this weekend.
14. I saw quite a bit of chutting this weekend too :)
15. I hate sand traps
16. WAAAAY too many people wore pants in 90+* weather
17. Happy to report 0 whiffs on #1 teebox
18. Coers is truly "unique"
19. We found something Icey cant wint, TRIVIA games!
20. Best Invitational Ever

1. I have a Bertha you can have. No Bueno for me.

2. Canadan in training? Gotta be Amart? Lol

Just got home from Indy and as glad as I am to be home I really just want to go back and golf and hangout with everyone. This was my first THP event and I had a blast. Thanks JB, Morgan and Mike for putting on such a great Invitational. I cannot wait to make it to my next event and don't know why it took me so long to get to my first. It was great to meet everyone new and see some people I've met before. Memories were made at every part of this event, not just the golf. It was a great time having Jugger as a teammate and thankfully he carried me when my driver went missing on the back 9. Rbarthle17 and PJ it was great playing with you guys, PJ is a great ball striker and Rbarthle17 can straight BOMB his mini SLDR, but more important both great guys that I would tee it up with or have a beer anytime. I do have to apologize to coers for Ohiostrikers poor play at the Fort, I guess I snor like a freight train and it may have kept him up all night. We took care of that the next night and got him some ear plugs so he could go on to shoot -1 on the front at Prarieview! It was lots of fun golfing and hanging out with parshooter, coers and ohiostriker today, some just amazing golf was being played by all 3! THP really does something special and has an amazing group of people!

One more thing, did anyone find Phil??

Crap, I forgot to mention that Indy was YET again another event GregDan was favored to win....HAHAHAHA

Oh one other thing, for the next time. It's "rbarthle17". Not "rbarrthle17" (Friday), "rbathle17" (Saturday), or "rbartthle17" (Sunday). Unless this was a THP hazing ritual or something. :wink:

Oh one other thing, for the next time. It's "rbarthle17". Not "rbarrthle17" (Friday), "rbathle17" (Saturday), or "rbartthle17" (Sunday). Unless this was a THP hazing ritual or something. :wink:

They cant spell lightning either ;) might be time to shorten it to just Bolt to help the courses out

Some thoughts on the weekend.

Purgatory: I had my typical bad 9 and good 9. Tgtt, v.man, tpluff. Crazy “sand” traps, some bombs off the tee, and ridiculous bounces on and around the greens (how many tpluff approach shots can bounce straight left?). And, playing to land the ball 5 yards short of the green, just so it will only roll a little off the back, is really going to jack-up my club selection for a couple of weeks. Vman down the middle again, and again, and again… Tgtt starts the round looking like a scratch player, while I was thinking I should have gone fishing – were you sandbagging to make me feel better?

Cheeseburgers in Paradise: We could have gotten a significant group discount on cholesterol and blood pressure meds. And, it was worth it. Closed the evening watching the Blackhawks even the series with Jugger18 and GreggDrews. I think 318 did finally find Phil. Jugger was a quality roommate – sorry you had to leave on Saturday. We need to get some folks together and play Bergamont sometime this season.

The Fort: A great facility – perfect for hosting an invitational. We had a great 3-some, IMO. Personalities meshed, and it was just easy to play. Lots of encouragement and some dang good golf shots. Iceyshanks - was great to team-up with another Husker fan and just a good guy. Glad I brought some game with me. We played well, but I left a couple of shots out there. Really wanted the win, not just for the HOF tag, but to make sure we both had a spot in September; sorry we didn’t get that done. Looking forward to teeing it up in Iowa in a few weeks. Lightningbolt44 – I can occasionally hit a reasonably long drive (as in once a season, downhill, with the wind)… But not in your league. Sacrificing a chance at the win by playing on your own was a great gesture, though I think your individual score would have been in the running all on its own. Sorry I couldn’t get away from work while you’re in the area this week; next time you’re heading for Schaumburg, let me know, and we’ll plan ahead for a round or two. Congrats to 441 and dhartmann – happy an IL THPer added an HOF tag and a trip to FL for the closing invitational. Though, I’ll probably have to hear about the win for some time to come. #LostBraggingRights

Bucca di Beppo: A perfect choice for “closing” on the official event. Great conversation and fantastic food. Speaking of cholesterol and blood pressure meds – someone get a full blood workup and BP cuff on coers – 6 pieces of cheesecake?

Prairie View: Another great course selection, and I actually did bring nearly a full round of game with me. Tee’d it up with xThor, tgtt, and dhartmann. An Indiana vs Louisville war nearly broke out between xThor and tgtt; thankfully, they both agreed to hate UKentucky. Dhartmann – I think I know your game, and you mine – another par 5 bit me, today. Who would have thought? And, yes, I think the chutt on 18 was the right play.

JB, Morgan, and 441: Thanks for putting on another great event. This was my 2[SUP]nd[/SUP], and I had even more fun this time. The hotel, courses, and restaurants fit the event to a “T”.

Bridgestone - Thank you for supporting the THP Invitational series in 2014. Some great swag from a top-notch company.

Just walked in the door and man am I tired.

Pro tip....not showering after a round and before a flight is a 100% guarantee you get the ONLY open seat on the plane next to you. Win.

No recap from me tonight, as I have to be at work in 6.5 hours, but I'll just say this: THP Events are by far my favorite golf to play. THPers simply know how to have FUN. And the more events I go to, and the more guys I meet, and the more familiar faces I see at each one, the better they get.

I'm also thinking of buying a food truck that specializes in bacon, egg, and cheeseburgers. What would happen to the profit margin if I were to eat...say...4 a day off the books?

Glad you made it safe Pete! I'm in my car and about to head home myself. Can't wait to sleep in my own bed.

They cant spell lightning either ;) might be time to shorten it to just Bolt to help the courses out

Everyone my whole life has misspelled Gregg(yes 2 g's at the end). Spelling of usernames is kind of like a chip to 6 inches, its a gimmie if it's that close unless you're playing with coers..jk

Looks like every one had fun

Some awesome thoughts so far. I so wish to attend one of these THP event one day in my life.

Own personal spotter haha love the recap mike and congrats again!

Mike conveniently forgets to add that even though they played from the fairway, some of them were 120 yard drives. Haha!

But we did have a spotter. And I think he's just jealous that they retrieved our golf balls, Phil.

Back