Do you feel your handicap accurately reflects your ability?

Howzat

I'd Rather Be At The Hideaway
Reaction score
Curious as to everyone's thoughts on this. I hear a lot of people say things on the internet like "I am a mid/higher handicapper but have players irons because my iron game isn't the issue". Do you feel you handicap is a decent indicator of your ability. What holds you back from a lower index? Can you really be a high handicap golfer but have the iron play of a scratch golfer?

My pea brain makes me do stupid things. It's a constant struggle.

I am amazed at where my handicap is. Mainly because I always thought that handicap was just strokes over par. I don't feel like a single digit golfer most days. But I will gladly take what ushandicap.com tells me is official

I don't think my current handicap accurately reflects my ability.

I think what it accurately reflects is the amount of time/practice I am currently putting into my game (which is little to none). I honestly believe if I were a 4 day a week practicer, with more rounds worked in, that my handicap would be lower.

What my game lacks is consistency, and I believe more practice, and more playing time, would improve that.

My iron play isn't to that of scratch but it is much better than the mid 20HC I am carrying at the moment. My tee game was the demise of my HC and this was proven to me Sunday at HHI as I played only 4i off the tee for 7 holes and played well under my cap, and then yesterday I kept the ball in play off the tee and shot an amazing score 11 lower than my PB and 12 lower than my lowest of the yr.

I am amazed at where my handicap is. Mainly because I always thought that handicap was just strokes over par. I don't feel like a single digit golfer most days. But I will gladly take what ushandicap.com tells me is official

I agree with you here. My current handicap is just 2014 scores and to quote ddec "I threw up all over the course" more than once. I fully expected to be in the 15-18 range. Shocked when it spit out 11.3.

Used to be short game held me back now it's iron game. Definitely not a scratch but I think I'm a few strokes better.

I think it does, as a 3 to me it means I'm capable of the high 60's to mid to high 70's which is where I usually hang my hat. If I had more money, more time, and good health, God only knows how low I could go.

I do. Right now I struggle with consistency. I am getting around to hitting some decent shots, stringing them together for a run of holes is a new focus.

I think golfers (Term lightly used) of my ability would say the same thing.

I have been thinking a lot about this lately. I think my handicap is actually a bit higher than my ability actually is. The biggest thing that holds me back is I don't practice anything at all I will go a few weeks without touching a club or rolling a putt and go play.

The second biggest thing is my head and how I think. Instead of just getting it done I tend to over think every shot and how I want to hit it which ultimately leads to a break down at some point in the round. I need to take the approach of just hit the damn ball in the hole it doesn't matter how it gets there and I will be much better off

Honestly, I think I have the short game of a 5 handicap and the long game of a 15 handicap. I think that I'm terrible off of the tee, and my short game and putting saves me more often than not. When I'm hitting it well off of the tee, good things can happen, but those days are few and far between right now. If I could ever get more accurate off of the tee and with my irons, my cap could drop even further.

Yes. I can shoot 70 or 90.

No practice kills me. I should never break 80 but I just dont have the devotion I used to.

Yeah, I am horribly inconsistent and my handicap reflects that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My score is what it says it is.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk.

I think my handicap is lower than what i think it should be. Im pretty inconsistant. Ive played with guys around my hcp that i felt were a lot better than me and with guys i thought i was better than.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

For the amount I play , I'm shocked where I am now . My sand game and 40 and 50 hard shots are way above my handicap. Almost just playing for the fat of the free with those at times . I'm sure it will come around a day before Labor Day (official weekend of last rounds of golf for most in my area )

At the next revision, I should fulfill a lifetimes ambition (literally 25 years of playing golf) and reach single figures for the first time ever. I don't however think I'm a very good 9.

My short game is holding me back a lot. Being between 5-20 yards off the green kills me. I have been doing a lot of statistic tracking lately and if I could just get up and down 50% I would drop 4-5 points from my handicap. Everything thing else is pretty good right now.

I think my index accurately reflects my ability. My PROBLEM is that I sometimes think I have more ability than my index indicates and do dumb things. I have been so amazed this year to see changes taking place in my game in every aspect. This has been such an eye opening year for me. Like someone else said (Blu I think) I never really understood what an index was. I thought it was just average over par.

JM

I think my cap is accurate, I live in the area.

I feel like my handicap is pretty indicative of my ability. I'm a short hitter, so I'm automatically at a disadvantage in longer holes and my irons are not nearly as consistent as a better players iron game.

Is it just me but isn't that what a handicap is? It's a reflection of your potential ability calculated from the scores you enter.

Now can you feel you are a low handicap but play like a high handicap? Sure. But I think if you are honest with yourself and post all scores, your handicap is indeed your playing ability.

I think a lot of people remember their good shots and good rounds and forget about how hard it is to consistently perform at their ability. Half the people I have played with would say I am a single digit and the other half would say I am a 20+. It is consistency and not ability that causes this.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk.

My handicap is currently at 11.8 and accurately reflects me for stroke play. I'll have a slew of pars, 5 bogies and then 3 or 4 doubles on stupid blowup holes.

IF I can get off the tee at a 60% or higher clip, I should be at a 9 or so because irons and short game are solid.

But I have the potential to shoot 77 or 88 right now so my handicap speaks the truth at this time.

Is it just me but isn't that what a handicap is? It's a reflection of your potential ability calculated from the scores you enter.

Now can you feel you are a low handicap but play like a high handicap? Sure. But I think if you are honest with yourself and post all scores, your handicap is indeed your playing ability.

This is my thinking as well but often times it seems people make seem to make excuses or think that it isn't the best way to determine someone's ability for one reason or another.

Back