Is short the way to long?

I went to 44 because I'm a shorter guy and I believe it makes the most efficient use of the arc I can produce given my height. I realize there are differing opinions on this theory, but it has worked well for me. Just more control.

JM

While I agree that there is a slight change in flex by butt trimming it does not change the tip stiffness and that is all that matters. Most shafts are made to be butt trimmed several inches with little to no flex change.

Never be afraid to experiment. Everything in golf is subjective and 99.9% of most everyday players will never feel the difference in SW or a slight change in flex.

I agree with you on both points. Given the butt is stiffer than the tip on most shafts (looking at flex codes), cutting off the butt end has far less impact to the overall property of the shaft than cutting off the tip. The average person will never feel it.

I think the same applies to the swing weight. I think that's over analyzed. Sure, maybe if you cut off 2 inches you'll notice, but I suspect the vast majority won't notice 1/2 to 3/4s cut off, unless someone tells them and they're looking for it. The mind can "find" things that the body never would.

I did want to make the point just for clarity. I hate it when people say "there is no effect." That's just not true. There is a very minimal effect, that most will probably not notice. Sorry if this sounds anal, but it is just the engineer in me.

Bumping an old thread but I just replaced my regular flex shaft on my driver with a stiff shaft and decided to experiment with the regular flex one by cutting it down 1.5" (driver goes from 45.5" to 44").

Just wondering from those that did (and particularly if you knocked off >1") what did you do, if anything, about swing weight?

I just had the shaft cut today and haven't swung it yet. If I can, I'll get out to the range tomorrow to see what it does.

I've been playing my driver at 44.5 for years because for the most part I think it offers the best control, I know it's only a half inch difference but honestly there is a difference, or at least there is between my ears.

Both drivers I have right now are cut down to 44.5" with midsize grips on them. I had them cut as soon as I got them and didn't do anything to them as far as swingweight so I can't comment on before/after feelings. That being said, I can tell where the head is at all times with both of them, at no time do I feel like either driver is too light.

After talking to Danny Le at UST last weekend about this, I'm going back to 46".

Longer gives the potential to generate more speed and more speed generates more distance, when you permanently remove that length you permanently remove that potential. Danny said for the accuracy part, its not as big in all his fittings he's done as some make it out to believe, and that most ams don't think about hand position, just choke down when you need to.

I know some will come in and vehemently disagree, I used to be one of those, but Danny knows eons more than me and I'm rolling with it.

After talking to Danny Le at UST last weekend about this, I'm going back to 46".

Longer gives the potential to generate more speed and more speed generates more distance, when you permanently remove that length you permanently remove that potential. Danny said for the accuracy part, its not as big in all his fittings he's done as some make it out to believe, and that most ams don't think about hand position, just choke down when you need to.

I know some will come in and vehemently disagree, I used to be one of those, but Danny knows eons more than me and I'm rolling with it.

Makes a ton of sense honestly, I think it's a matter of getting the right shaft in the club.

I would think a player with very consistent tempo and a fairly repeatable swing could get great benefit out of today's longer shafted drivers. That golfer is not me and I just couldn't make the 46" shaft in my X-Hot work. Cut it down to 44" last spring and the benefits were there pretty much immediately. If I manage to hit it on the screws with good tempo I honestly don't notice enough loss in distance with shorter shaft to matter.

After reading that post last weekend. It set the wheels in motion dude. Not sure if they'll gain traction but it's something to consider.

I'm not gonna argue against you on the loss of potential energy(Clubhead speed), but will say that the longer the shaft the harder it is for most ams to control and take advantage of that potential.

I usually play 45 and choke down a little bit. Allthough I'm a a short hitter I don't have to worry about tee balls going astray too much.
Do the same thing with 3w and heavenwood too

I think this will depend on the person. For many short and heavy work well. Some short and light. Others long and light or long and heavy. Long theoretically has the potential to create the most speed however speed is not the only thing that matters in a golf swing. That said if you leave your club at 46 no reason you can't choke down so you can see the difference with your own eyes. Then make the determination which length fits you best. I think this is one of those things that will vary a good bit depending on the person . That said I play mine at 45.5 but choke down for 95% of my drives

I recently started to play my driver at 44.5 and since then, I have been more consistent with making contact in the center of the face, my average distance has improved.

To each their own, and I know the implied potential of a longer shaft driver.... However my swing isn't repeatable enough to take advantage of said physics, the way to go (due to the physics) is to play the longest driver you can handle.

Dax

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That thread completely changed my thinking as well. When I ordered my 815 yesterday I went with standard length which is 45.5". For the last few years I've played 45" and would always choke down on it. I choked down on my 45" driver for every drive I hit last year and was considering going with a shorter shaft this year. But after that thread I'm giving the longer shaft a shot. I figure I can always trim it if I'm seeing real bad dispersion but I honestly didn't see any dispersion issues yesterday with the club playing 45.5". Danny really knows his stuff and the results from the guys who got the opportunity to go to the UST event really spoke volumes. I never would of considered anything longer than 45" before that thread but I'm going to give it a go and see what happens.

Danny knows his stuff, for sure. But remember that with greater speed there comes a bigger miss. Not saying that can't fixed, cuz I can fix anything. I am just saying controlled speed will ultimately create greater distance. I stress controlled, Once you learn to control 46" that distance will be greater.

I'm playing the XR at 46" and I can't tell the difference between 45" and this. I think the idea that shorter is easier to control makes sense, but the end results I believe are planted in the head of he user

JMan does that also apply to irons? I immediately thought of Danny and the UST thread when this popped up.

Longer the iron, I've personally noticed I don't hit it as far. I'm always afraid of chunking it and wind up never releasing the club through impact. Every person will be different though

Is short the way to long?

Anything over 41" in a club I find a hard time having comfort with. I would be curious to see what I could do with a driver head and a short shaft in either stiff or x stiff. I can poke a 1 iron out to about 240 max but the last time I tried a regular length driver it felt no good to me and I nearly topped the ball trying it.

For me, I've never hit a driver over 45" very straight. I don't mind giving up 5 yards to keep a ball playable - because when I miss, I miss big. 44.5", for me, has been perfect.

I won't argue that I'm missing out on distance when I shorten it. Physics are physics. But the trade-off lands way closer to the side of risk than it does reward. For me, at least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not gonna argue against you on the loss of potential energy(Clubhead speed), but will say that the longer the shaft the harder it is for most ams to control and take advantage of that potential.
Had an interesting convo about this whole at ust this weekend, suffice to say we will agree to disagree.

As ams, we give ourselves way too much credit to the repeatability of our swings, fact is we have bigger things to worry about than an inch or inch and a half. I used to think the same way, then I had my eyes opened by people in the industry way smarter than I am.

I may give 46 inches a rip myself. Something about it makes me think I'll also be able to cut down on some spin, as I expect to be a lot smoother through the transition and not hit down on the ball.

Can't wait to hear where this goes for you Jameson.

I'll ask this, why is it so hard to just choke down from longer when you need to?

I watched 9 guys go longer than their gamers, all gained speed, and all gained a lot better dispersion. All different caps, all different skills, all different swings. I've got the numbers all saved on my phone and I'm going with the numbers. There's no right or wrong with your own game, but I'm going to take the knowledge and evidence and run with it in my game.

I know it's the Internet and rationalization is the king, but I simple love spreading the knowledge and information from the sources who develop and do this for a living.

Its all gravy.

I've tried shorter drivers and it was a complete bust give me something 45.5 to 46 and I have my best success with it.

If I had to guess... "Because it doesn't FEEL right"

I think golfers get caught up in what they "know" and fear change. See: player irons for mid cappers.... complaints about offset.... the great hybrid debate... The funny thing about golf, and change, is that it takes time. Anyone ever go get their grip changed by an instructor? I bet it feels absolutely tragic for a few sessions, and then suddenly 'it just FEELS right'

Back