Overcoming the Seemingly Impossible. A Journey to Better

flog2424

Philippians 4:13
Reaction score
Handicap
I originally shared this story with Howzat, Morgan and JBand have been waiting for the right time to share with you. I orignally hadplanned to post this in the Morgan Cup thread but wanted this message to getout there for the world to see. This is not a self promotion, pity party oranything of that nature. I am not a Srixon Team Member but I feel that this ismy #JourneytoBetter and that seems perfect for this story. With so many peoplestruggling on here in some way of late that now was the time to share thisstory with all of you all. As I near the 2 year mark on this day, this ishonestly the first time I have opened up about it other than my close friends

On June 28th 2012, my life was changed forever. We werehaving a group outing for work and rock climbing was on the agenda. I was thelast person in the group to go and made it to the top. As I started my venturedown, something malfunctioned in the pulley system and I free fell 25 ft to theground.

Amazingly, I survived this fall and walked away but it wasntwithout its list of complications. I fractured my pelvis in 4 places, fracturedmy elbow and wrist on my left arm, collapsed lung and damage to my SI joint.Doctors were concerned that there might be more damage but the swelling was sobad that they wouldnt know for another 4-6 months what other injuries might bethere. Obviously, as a 27 year old with your life in front of you... all sortsof emotions start to come out. I was scared, pissed, and confused.

It was during this time that I found this THP family. I wasconfined to my bed for 3 months before I could start any extensive PT. THP wasa way for me to unwind and live through many of you while I couldnt be on acourse. Lucky for me, my PT was an avid golfer and after session 1 he knewwhere the fire was within me and what my goals were.

It was also during this time the Morgan Cup was taking placeand I knew in my heart that I wanted to be a part of that one day if Godallowed my golf game to ever come back. It was much a reality but a guy candream

PT was not fun at all. We spent 4 months doing nothing butCORE, wrist/arm work and golf specific motions. There is nothing more scarythan swing a club and just hoping your body would hold up. When I first started,I would have to use a walker or cane and take little swings one handed. Afterthe 4 month mark I was able to stand upright and swing at a decent pace. I hadlost about 40% of my distance on all clubs but at least I could play. Every daygot a little better and the work was paying off. At the ATL Invitational lastyear, that was literally my 5th or 6th round back and it felt so good to belooked at not as someone who was over coming something but just another guy/galchasing his dreams and wanting to be out there with his friends. I cannotremember what I shot that day but for the first time, golf had changed fromsomething competitive in my heart to something I could enjoy and not get caughtup on a number with.

When I was selected to the Morgan Cup, I was overwhelmedwith joy as one might expect but I was also scared out of my mind. I wasnt sureif my body could hold up to the task. I didnt know if my game would be in anytype of shape to play a serious tournament and I didnt know I should go throughwith it. My wife told me she would be supportive and do everything we could toensure that I would be ready. The six months since have been documented on hereand like all the others selected, I havent taken it for granted but had workedmy butt off.

I could blab for hours more about this but I want to get tomy point...... For all my fellow Morgan Cup'ers... I tell you this not to getyour pity next month or feel like I am trying to get more attention. I tell youthis story to motivate you over these last few weeks. Realize that the gift oflife in itself is so precious and moments like this tournament are very rare.Make the most of it because there is no guarantee anything like this or yourlife for that manner will be here tomorrow. Dont pressure yourself but enjoythese last few weeks and know that if someone who was almost paralyzed canreteach himself the golf swing, get his body in shape for the physicalness ofthe event and be prepared for anything then you can to. Find a reason to playfor everything even besides yourself and your team and get it done. Make noexcuses and be the best you can next Month.

For the rest of those on here that might still be readingthis.... I simply want to tell you that if there is anything you are strugglingwith please let me know how I might be able to help you. I love to share mystory and if it benefits someone else even better. If it is golf yourstruggling with, reach out to someone on here or a local pro and learn how toplay and have success at this great game. If there is something in life you arescared about... reach out to someone on here or somewhere else because there issomeone out there that wants to be supportive and help. I am always a PM awayif there is anything anyone ever wants to discuss or needs any prayers.

I personally want to thank everyone on THP for all yoursupport over the last couple of years. You didnt know it but you drove thissimple guy from Georgia to not look at anything as a disability but to pushmyself to be the best I can be as a golfer and as a person..... I look forwardto keeping you all up to date as a part of this journey and I love each of you.

Flog2424/ Kyle Garrett

Great story dude. Didn't know that, but enjoyed reading it very much.

I remember you telling me the story when I sent you a private message about the Morgan cup when you were first named as a participant. I remember reading it and thinking to myself, "my God, how is this guy even alive and walking?"

You have worked hard to get where you are in will be fun to watch your game in July. That being said, you know.. Don't do too well against a certain first round pairing :alien:

that was a very nice read. I had no clue you had gone though anything like that. It will make sharing the course with you at the MC that much better.

Very good read. Glad that I can call you a friend.

Very glad that you're making your way back.

You've got a family here for you, and you know that.

Thanks for sharing your story Kyle. This is truly amazing, I kept thinking about Ben Hogan, as I read it. I wish I could say something more, but I'm at a loss for words.

What an incredible story. I knew you were a helluva golfer, but no idea you had to overcome this challenge to get where you are. Very impressive and motivational.

Great read Kyle and very inspirational. It's often the little things people say that make the biggest difference in other's lives. Well spoken my friend :thumb:

I remember reading at least part of this story somewhere, maybe you PMed it to me. I am really proud of you Kyle. Cant wait to see you down in Myrtle. You have come a LONG way and it really is inspiring.

Kyle...wow...so honored to be sharing this journey with you, fellow #TeamParadise brother! Thanks for the incredible message.

Thanks for sharing! Looking forward to great things from you at the MC!

Reading this story brings tears of joy to my eyes. To see someone overcome so much for something he loves specifically golf in this case is just amazing. It puts into perspective what we have and how it can change in an instant without any fault of your own. Good luck on your journey and thank you for sharing this

Glad to see you in the Morgan Cup making your dream come true. Great story of determination and perseverance, Kyle. Proud of your accomplishment from that horrific accident.

Good stuff Kyle. Looking forward to meeting ya in a few months!

Great story, very inspirational and it's nice to hear how far you've come and how excited you are for the future. You seem to have an awesome outlook on life and it's contagious. Thanks for sharing, wish you the best in the future

This is just awesome Kyle. Way to battle back and put things into perspective.

Kyle, you give a piece courage and hope with that story to us all, and I'm proud of you getting trough all that and I'm proud to be your teammate. It will be great to meet you!

When we played in Atlanta last year, I had no idea. You showed no signs of any injury or hinderance, and I know what you had to have been going through. It was also an absolute pleasure playing golf with you. By the way, I think you shot like a 74 or something absurd for the conditions.

Great, story Kyle, glad you're on your way and perfect example of overcoming a significant obstacle. Looking forward to meeting you someday.

That was an incredible read, it's amazing how you were able to overcome obstacles that probably seemed unsurmountable at times. You pushed through and made it buddy, thank you for sharing that journey.

Thanks for sharing all this Kyle. I know you will be ready to play great golf at the MC.

What a great story, thank you so much for sharing!

Thanks for sharing. It is amazing you are able to play again and as well as you do. That some inspirational stuff right there.

That's a really great story Kyle, thank you for sharing. Your progress is inspiring, and I'm looking forward to following you and the other lucky staffers in the MC. Go get 'em!

Back