The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hit a bucket yesterday after my round, aiming at flags and dialing in distances

I went to the range today to do some work since we had some rain moving into the area and I could hit from the covered bays and that is what I did. I worked on tempo and making a proper shoulder turn and weight transfer and simply relaxing and firing through the ball.

A couple things jumped out to me from my session-- when I lay off on a club I always catch it a tad thin because I come out of the swing(stand up a fraction)-- when I get handsy with the take away my arms go too far back this causes me to hit the high ball I dread-- I didn't use impact tape just a dirty club and I cleaned an area just barely bigger than a nickel with 10 balls my ball striking is almost phenomenal IMO-- driver still needs some work but its coming along

I also spoke with my coach about Sundays PB round, and swapping out shafts in 3wd and hybo. The conversations about my round was fun and he is quite happy that it happened and everything click so soon in the year and the talk turned to how he believes now more so than before I can get even lower than the 82 I posted.

Experiment
I also got to do a fun little experiment on the LM today as he had a fitting schedule and everything was set up so I hopped on the LM and hit 3 different Iron heads the Titleist CB, AP2 and AP1 all different shafts(xp95, s300) and different lengths I made 5 swings with each and my club head speed changed which effected ball speed, distance but the thing that stayed the same the numbers I was producing were optimal or less than 10% from being optimal based on the club head speed I produced. My coach cleared the data and left I grabbed the MB with X100 and standard length hit 3 balls and then AP2 with 110 recoil in X and once again I was posting darn near optimal numbers for the SS speed I was posting with each club.

Results

I create more SS with a heavier shaft 5mph difference between 95g and the heavier 110g-130g shafts. With out doing it intentionally I adjusted my swing speed for the different shafts weight and flex. I know it was a small sample size and different heads were attached to different shafts but the recoil just barely beat out the X100 in carry and total distance LA and spin rates were close(the X100 was 1/2in shorter)

That's a great write up FF glad to hear the constant sweetspot contact, that's huge.

Yesterday, I played the most draining (mentally) round in a long time, I was just disgusted with how I played.

Today, the reset button has been hit.
Those feeling were bad ones to have.

I scheduled a lesson for tomorrow, practice today, short game area today.

You can't improve through hope!
Let's get some clubs dirty!!!

Felt like skipping practice, but drug myself out there anyway. Just a short little session to work on feeling less slide and more turn into my right knee. Used a hybrid for it. Then a short putting session.

Range or on-course practice tonight.

Putting putting putting and more putting. I am determined to stop leaving strokes out on the course.

Putting putting putting and more putting. I am determined to stop leaving strokes out on the course.

I hear ya. Thats where I leaving way too many strokes out there

Went to the range and the grass area was swampy from the rain, hit 2 buckets on a little island, went pretty well not as good as the day before but I was pretty sore from my morning gym session, worked on my 3/4 iron shots, I always pull them, worked on lag and getting my hips through first, my arms always want to take over on 3/4 shots

That's a great write up FF glad to hear the constant sweetspot contact, that's huge.

Thanks I know it's one that is directly related to my shorter swing and tons of practice, my most made miss is catching the ball a groove or two low but I'm told that's the right miss as I only loose a couple yards of distance hitting it there.

Will be hitting the range at lunch today. I need to work out blow up holes. How do you guys practice for that? Any good tips?

Amphibians can Tapatalk... Fear the Frog!

Will be hitting the range at lunch today. I need to work out blow up holes. How do you guys practice for that? Any good tips?

Stop trying hero shots usually is the first step towards recovery.

Where do you blowup holes come from? Mine mainly come from off of the tee, but others will have them come from taking way too many shots around the greens. Figure out what is the source of your blowup holes and go from there. I'm working hard on my swing this year so that I don't have as many penalty shots off of the tee, playing my 3rd shot from the tee box is not fun at all.

Where do you blowup holes come from? Mine mainly come from off of the tee, but others will have them come from taking way too many shots around the greens. Figure out what is the source of your blowup holes and go from there.

That pretty much sums it up, find out where they're coming from and eliminate the cause. If it's from too many crazy risks stop taking crazy risks.

Where do you blowup holes come from? Mine mainly come from off of the tee, but others will have them come from taking way too many shots around the greens. Figure out what is the source of your blowup holes and go from there. I'm working hard on my swing this year so that I don't have as many penalty shots off of the tee, playing my 3rd shot from the tee box is not fun at all.

It seems to be different each round. Sometimes it's an errant tee shot. Or a duffed iron or a bladed wedge or a shank. Or even a dreaded 3 jack. There has to be a way of practicing recovery shots.

For instant last night it league it was raining. First hole sort of pushed my drive right and got it too high on the face. Which left it shorter than normal and 50 yards behind a tree blocking my vision of the flag. I take pw and lay up left of the tree in fairway. Like I should. Then 3rd shot was like the ball just slid off the face was a splash as I hit it. And went dead right into a pond. Chip on 2 putt triple! Argh....

I counting that up to wetness but still. It's frustrating.

Hit a bucket on the range yesterday. Just trying to dial in my driver and limit my fade/slice. Then over to the chipping range and chipped about 200 balls from different distances and lies. Really working on my wedge game. Then did some putting. Spent about 2.5 hours working on some stuff.

Not a perfect practice session, but a pretty good one!

After yesterday I will take it!
Worked on 7 iron and up.

Yesterday was all about working out the kinks in my tee ball I've been seeing lately. Smooth takeaway, smooth transition, and extension were my three key swing focuses. Lost a few left on lazy swings, but it was a positive session for he most part. Still plugging away, and another reason is to be scheduled soon.

A lot of swings with my Gold Flex yesterday. Trying to get my flexibility, my tempo, and balance back.

Is lack of focus for a shot or two?

I do lose focus and get quick at times. ADHD meds needed?

Not a perfect practice session, but a pretty good one!

After yesterday I will take it!
Worked on 7 iron and up.

What did you do differently?

Hit the course for 12 holes of practice at my instructor's recommendation. He wanted me to hit 3 balls off each tee and then 4-5 approach shots, which is what I did. Sometimes I hit from where my drive(s) ended up and sometimes I dropped a ball or two to work on specific yardages/clubs. Hit all the short game shots that came up if I missed the green and putted all the balls. Was lucky that I had nobody in front/behind me, so no pressure to hurry or anything.

So glad he told me to do this and I'm going to do it once a week in place of a range session for the rest of the summer. Great change of pace and forced me to align myself, deal with different lies, etc. I was able to dial in some distances and work on shots that I'm not really that great at. Glad he worked on the fairway wood off the turf with me last lesson, because I saw massive improvement there over what I typically see. Productive day and I'm really enjoying golf right now.

One of my absolute favorite ways to practice hawkster

Hit the course for 12 holes of practice at my instructor's recommendation. He wanted me to hit 3 balls off each tee and then 4-5 approach shots, which is what I did. Sometimes I hit from where my drive(s) ended up and sometimes I dropped a ball or two to work on specific yardages/clubs. Hit all the short game shots that came up if I missed the green and putted all the balls. Was lucky that I had nobody in front/behind me, so no pressure to hurry or anything.

So glad he told me to do this and I'm going to do it once a week in place of a range session for the rest of the summer. Great change of pace and forced me to align myself, deal with different lies, etc. I was able to dial in some distances and work on shots that I'm not really that great at. Glad he worked on the fairway wood off the turf with me last lesson, because I saw massive improvement there over what I typically see. Productive day and I'm really enjoying golf right now.
This is my favorite way to practice. When I do this one of the 4 balls I usually hit is from a tweeter yardage. It forces me to think, and execute a difficult shot every hole.

One of my absolute favorite ways to practice hawkster

You know, I used to do this quite a bit when I belonged to a club, but this year has been different. I've been so range focused working on swing changes and drills that it just hadn't occurred to me. He really wants me to focus on actually playing and taking all this to the course for these last couple months leading up to the event though. I'm glad he said something because the range was bordering on getting old.

This is my favorite way to practice. When I do this one of the 4 balls I usually hit is from a tweeter yardage. It forces me to think, and execute a difficult shot every hole.

Yea I teed off with clubs I might not always use and also from different tee boxes to get some different looks as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back