Callaway X Forged vs Callaway Apex Irons

AceHo

Reaction score
Handicap
I am a 5 handicap and recently made the switch from last year's X Forged to this year's Apex (not Pro). I made the change because once or twice a round I was hitting an approach a little fat with the X Forged and getting about 65-75% the distance- this would inevitably go into a hazard, trap, etc and throw off my score by a few strokes. In doing research and talking with the Callaway rep, I came away with the impressions the wider sole of the Apex would help reduce how much of the club dug into the ground (bounce) and improve the distance when caught a little fat. I found this to be true while demoing and a mishit or fat shot wound up getting 90-95% of the distance. The draw back and reason for my buyer's remorse is the feel. The X-Forged felt perfect when caught in the screws, whereas that feeling is not really there with the Apex. Have I made an $1100 mistake or did I make the right decision to take a step in the "game improvement" iron? Does this make sense? Do I need to give it a month or so and get used to this new feel? I am hitting the new irons pretty well, but with any change, it feels different. Thoughts?

How many rounds have you played with the new Apex's? Might be a case of just needing more time to get used to the new clubs.

Unless the feel is just completely horrible, I'd worry more about whether or not I'm playing better golf (scoring better) than I was before. If you are scoring better and the feel is something you think you can get used to, then I think you have a winner.

Those are my thoughts, but in the end it's your golf game and your clubs. Unfortunately nobody is going to be able to tell you what works best for you.

The Apex are the best irons on the market all around IMO, and I've been lucky enough to spend time with the AP2's, S55's, i25's, M3's, Apex Pro, J40's, Bio Cell, Bio Cell+ and the list goes on. I honestly believe them to be the best all around iron package we have seen in a long long time.

Feel is personal, in the end you are going to be the only one that can decide if they feel right to you. Plus, ALL irons have a different feel/sound, acclimation is just part of it.

I have only played 2-3 rounds with them- and I am starting to hit more consistently (I found out after the fact the lofts between similar X Forged irons is pretty severe- 3 degrees in most cases- so my Apex 8I is really the same loft as my old 7I- and this is taking some adjusting). Does that make sense about the sole being a little wider and helping with fatter shots?

I have only played 2-3 rounds with them- and I am starting to hit more consistently (I found out after the fact the lofts between similar X Forged irons is pretty severe- 3 degrees in most cases- so my Apex 8I is really the same loft as my old 7I- and this is taking some adjusting). Does that make sense about the sole being a little wider and helping with fatter shots?

Absolutely it does, its one of the benefit to slightly wider soles, less digging. You are def not crazy there.

ALSO, Welcome to THP dude, glad you found us.

I have Googled a lot of questions about different clubs, balls, etc and inevitably THP always was the most helpful. Looking forward to the forums….

Callaway X Forged vs Callaway Apex Irons

I game the xforged and had the apex pros. I love the xforged over the Apex Pros. That being said the times I've played the Apex I have loved them. I think you made a good choice.

But make no mistake no club design will help you from fat shots. That is a product of changing the plan at the top and releasing the club early.

Edit: others have said the sole will help with digging and I'm not disputing their findings. My statement is based and comes from a purely teaching perspective

Last edited:
It just depends what you're looking for in your irons.

I went from a "player's" set to the Apex, and my game has never been better. I can miss hit shots and still hit greens and be in proximity to the pin. Are they incrementally "firmer" feeling on perfectly struck shots over "player's" clubs? Maybe. But, for me, the difference is inconsequential.

I honestly think the Apex are perfect for me.

I don't think you made a mistake at all really, both sets are exceptional and even though I think the X forged edges out the Apex in feel you should adjust pretty quickly to the different feel and distances. Good choice and welcome to the forum.

We play at the same index. IMO, as a long time lover of forged blades/musclebacks, you're never going to get the same feel when you pure one with the Apex as the X Forged. BUT if they help you on those couple of shots a round that add a few strokes to your score and that's what you're looking for then it's a good trade-off.

In the past 4 years I've gone from MacGregor 1025M VIPs, to a Titleist 710 CB/MB combo set (which was stolen), to my current Adams CMBs. I really like them a lot but I demoed the Mizuno MP-4 this spring and there was no comparison in regards to feel. They MAY be my next set of irons but I'm content with the CMBs for the foreseeable future.

We play at the same index. IMO, as a long time lover of forged blades/musclebacks, you're never going to get the same feel when you pure one with the Apex as the X Forged. BUT if they help you on those couple of shots a round that add a few strokes to your score and that's what you're looking for then it's a good trade-off.

In the past 4 years I've gone from MacGregor 1025M VIPs, to a Titleist 710 CB/MB combo set (which was stolen), to my current Adams CMBs. I really like them a lot but I demoed the Mizuno MP-4 this spring and there was no comparison in regards to feel. They MAY be my next set of irons but I'm content with the CMBs for the foreseeable future.

So you play golf for club feedback, not results? If you pure a players iron and a GI, wouldn't the results be the same.

I've gamed the x-forged, Apex and the Pro and for my money the Pros are the best hands down. I loved the x-forged though. They look great and perform the way you would expect them too. There is some forgiveness, but not what you would get from the Apex, or even the Apex Pro for that matter.

Any irons take some time to getting used to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've gamed the x-forged, Apex and the Pro and for my money the Pros are the best hands down. I loved the x-forged though. They look great and perform the way you would expect them too. There is some forgiveness, but not what you would get from the Apex, or even the Apex Pro for that matter.

Any irons take some time to getting used to.

Can you expand on this? What makes the pros the best?

I think based on the technology that is coming out, unless you're scratch or better and constantly trying to work the ball with perfect contact, the apex irons, and not the pros, are going to drop strokes off a handicap.

I've had handfuls of irons on a range, and not looking at the heads just looking at the results, the apex irons are consistently better in both distance and accuracy.

If you're looking for the perfect sound on contact, and that sound comes from a bladed iron, stick with what you're gaming.. but I'll be reaching for apex 10 times out of 10 as a 1 index.

Can you expand on this? What makes the pros the best?

I did realize that after I hit reply.

For me, the pros seem like a nice bridge between the x-forged and the Apex. The pros have a slightly wider sole than the X-forged, but it's more narrow than the regular Apex. Misses with the Pros aren't as harsh as the XF, but you sense them better than the Apex (my opinion).

I did realize that after I hit reply.

For me, the pros seem like a nice bridge between the x-forged and the Apex. The pros have a slightly wider sole than the X-forged, but it's more narrow than the regular Apex. Misses with the Pros aren't as harsh as the XF, but you sense them better than the Apex (my opinion).

So you hit them better? Score better? Feel better? I'm genuinely curious. I'm not trying to harp on your opinion and hope it doesn't come that way. You described them as a bridge that is less forgiving so I am curious how that translates to the better iron?

Clearly people will have sole and shape preferences, but I was thinking more in line with better must equal either performance or material. That might be where I am getting confused because material is the same and performance I would think in some ways for most amateurs has to equal forgiveness at least a little bit.

I think based on the technology that is coming out, unless you're scratch or better and constantly trying to work the ball with perfect contact, the apex irons, and not the pros, are going to drop strokes off a handicap.

I've had handfuls of irons on a range, and not looking at the heads just looking at the results, the apex irons are consistently better in both distance and accuracy.

If you're looking for the perfect sound on contact, and that sound comes from a bladed iron, stick with what you're gaming.. but I'll be reaching for apex 10 times out of 10 as a 1 index.

This is my game in a nutshell.

So you hit them better? Score better? Feel better? I'm genuinely curious. I'm not trying to harp on your opinion and hope it doesn't come that way. You described them as a bridge that is less forgiving so I am curious how that translates to the better iron?

Clearly people will have sole and shape preferences, but I was thinking more in line with better must equal either performance or material. That might be where I am getting confused because material is the same and performance I would think in some ways for most amateurs has to equal forgiveness at least a little bit.

I don't think that you're harping at all.

When saying that the pros are less forgiving than the Apex (and something I prefer) is that when I miss a shot I get immediate feedback from the club. With the Apex I didn't feel the sensation the same way. With the xforged it felt like my hands were on fire. So for me, they are a bridge between the xforged and Apex. Similar to how the SLDR irons are with the SpeedBlades and CBs.

For me, the pros have performed much better than the Xforged and Apex. However, my swing and game are much improved in the year since I had the xforged. When I was playing the Apex it was primarily indoors. So, I don't know if it's fair for me to say that one club has vastly out performed another or has resulted in lower scores because of the current state of my game. I would be curious to see how I would fair with the other two now that my game is where it is now.

Yes it makes perfect sense. I like a wider sole for that very reason. I go down pretty hard with every iron shot and I can hit one fat now and then and the wider sole helps a lot. Good choice!

Played another round with the new Apex and they are coming around- especially the mid-irons. It is pretty amazing the difference of catching a ball just a little behind the it- the Apex "bounces" just enough to get almost 100% of the distance. Starting to lose the buyer's remorse!

I have hit all 3. For me the Apex Pros are a little easier to launch than the X Forged and a bit hotter off the face. This may translate into more forgiveness, I suppose. I hit the Regular Apex at 2 different demo days and for whatever reason, despite the cranked lofts, there was negligible difference in distance compared to the Apex Pros. For me, the turf interaction was also much better with the pros and the feel of the Pros, and the X Forged, are in a different league than the standard Apex, I am guessing because of the one piece construction. All 3 are great clubs. Personal preference .....

I game the xforged and had the apex pros. I love the xforged over the Apex Pros. That being said the times I've played the Apex I have loved them. I think you made a good choice.

But make no mistake no club design will help you from fat shots. That is a product of changing the plan at the top and releasing the club early.

Edit: others have said the sole will help with digging and I'm not disputing their findings. My statement is based and comes from a purely teaching perspective

Agree with this. Im normally gaming Callaway 09 X-Forged & if I hit one poorly I cant imagine a GI iron would improve much on the result. What I do like more from its narrower sole is its interaction with rough. I feel it cuts through it better & I have more confidence hit out of it. Would be great to know how much does a GI iron help on miss-hits? I've used my brothers Adams A7's quite a few times & mainly notice you hit really towering shots with them (which look great). Off centre hits offer less feed back but a poor shot is still a poor shot.

Agree with this. Im normally gaming Callaway 09 X-Forged & if I hit one poorly I cant imagine a GI iron would improve much on the result. What I do like more from its narrower sole is its interaction with rough. I feel it cuts through it better & I have more confidence hit out of it. Would be great to know how much does a GI iron help on miss-hits? I've used my brothers Adams A7's quite a few times & mainly notice you hit really towering shots with them (which look great). Off centre hits offer less feed back but a poor shot is still a poor shot.

A lot depending on the iron. Added perimeter weighting increases the retention of ball speeds across a club, its been proven since the Eye2's.

Poor shots are still poor shots because poor swings are still poor swings. NO club can fix a bad swing, but it can make the results more playable.

I have no remorse going to a fat bevelled sole in my Karsten irons. Still getting to know them after about 8 rounds. Welcome and Good Luck!

Back