Phil switching to the Claw for the US Open

dhartmann34

Reaction score
Handicap
I saw that yesterday. He mentioned that it helps him have a smoother stroke on the shorter putts & in hindsight he would have switched weeks ago to be ready this week. I really hope it works out because he is our Arnie IMO & I love the way he takes time to interact with the gallery.

I know I have no skin in the game with Phil. I am just a fan but the guy needs to stop tinkering. I hope he proves my wrong and wins with the claw. But I think it is an usual play going into a major with these crazy greens.

I watched his presser yesterday when he talked about. It was an interesting take.

It can't be good when you are making a major change going into one of the biggest events of the year.

I think everyone who was going to take Phil in the contest, should replace him with anyone else.

I know I have no skin in the game with Phil. I am just a fan but the guy needs to stop tinkering. I hope he proves my wrong and wins with the claw. But I think it is an usual play going into a major with these crazy greens.

I was thinking the same thing. He's constantly messing around with his putter/putting, and endlessly forward presses like a mad man.

Who does he work with?

Am I the only one that doesn't think it's a big deal?

No, you're not alone.

Phil's looking for anything to improve on the greens and going back to something that has worked well in the past.

Some of Phil's best performances have been after he changes his swing, uses a different club, or gets a new swing suggestion from Butch. So I actually see this as a possible factor in him contending this week

Taps away

Nah I don't think it's a big deal either, if he was a rooking and never been in major contention I think it would matter. He knows his game.

I'm tempted to take Phil in the Open after hearing this. It's a gamble, but how many times have people tinkered with a putting stroke and had good short-term results?
Often they don't last, but if he thinks he's doing better....can it last 4 rounds?

Love to see him make a couple putts early, could set him off. So could a few misses, though.

Let's face it, Phil's a minor head case on the greens. Love the guy and will be rooting for him to complete the career grand slam and allow someone to win $1.5 million, but he's constantly changing things whether it be his putter, grip, or how he grips the putter. He's good enough and has experience with everything he has tried to be able to use what's comfortable for him that week. Versa #9 with claw grip for this week when a couple weeks ago he was with the Protype 82 with a pistol grip. I don't think it's a big deal and, if it gets him in contention come Sunday, every critic out there will be silent.

I dont really think this is a big deal.... If it was your most important tournament of the year you would be trying whatever it took to be your best. he has struggled mightly all year on the greens by his standards so if he has found a spark with this then more power to him

In with you. If anyone can pull it off it Phil. He knows his game & has admitted that short putts have cost him wins before. I see it as addressing a weakness.

No, you're not alone.

Phil's looking for anything to improve on the greens and going back to something that has worked well in the past.

Nah I don't think it's a big deal either, if he was a rooking and never been in major contention I think it would matter. He knows his game.

Do I think its a huge deal, no. But switching to a new grip just before and event is never good. It means you are searching. He tried the claw before and went away from. He always tinkers so I expect he will do just fine but I can't help but think he has some doubts in the back of mind going in. Just my persective on it, I'd love for him to win. I really think it would complete his career in sense. He has a bond with this course that no one else has after that Open Payne won.

I think this will have a negative effect on him since he hasn't been using it for awhile. Glad to see that I am not the only clawer out there now.

Do I think its a huge deal, no. But switching to a new grip just before and event is never good. It means you are searching. He tried the claw before and went away from. He always tinkers so I expect he will do just fine but I can't help but think he has some doubts in the back of mind going in. Just my persective on it, I'd love for him to win. I really think it would complete his career in sense. He has a bond with this course that no one else has after that Open Payne won.

Agree with you here Freddie. During his presser yesterday, he said that he may go back to traditional grip at any time, said it may be a "spur of the moment" thing, but it's an option. What's your opinion on that take from Phil?

Listen, I can't speculate on his choices. As others have said, he knows his game. But if I am in his camp or his pro, I am telling him to commit to one stroke and live or die by it. If he could change at any minute, and he has the talent to do so, he has not mentally committed to the switch. The If you are not 100% with any part of your game from a mental stand point, it will be your weak point. Doubt is the killer on tour, not talent.

But I can't stress enough, I hope he proves me wrong. I don't hate Phil and I am not rooting against him. Just in case someone thinks I am being a hater.

Agree with you here Freddie. During his presser yesterday, he said that he may go back to traditional grip at any time, said it may be a "spur of the moment" thing, but it's an option. What's your opinion on that take from Phil?

Leading into one of the most important tournaments of the year, you dance with the date you brought. A subtle change here and there like making your hands closer or further apart, or a piece of lead tape are fine. A grip change like that though, that's a dude who is grasping at straws. What's next, looking at the hole? Putting eyes closed?

I was thinking the same thing. He's constantly messing around with his putter/putting, and endlessly forward presses like a mad man.

Who does he work with?

Dave Stockton, which makes no freaking sense whatsoever.

I thought I heard earlier on golf channel that on longer putts or putts from off the green that he will switch back to a regular grip. Very odd in my opinion. But whatever works for him

I thought I heard earlier on golf channel that on longer putts or putts from off the green that he will switch back to a regular grip. Very odd in my opinion. But whatever works for him
Yeah I think I heard that too. Switching seems like it would be hard to be consistent

Me either. He wouldn't do it if he didn't think it'd help.

I think the current Open Champion knows what he's doing and trust he's doing the best thing for his game at this current time. Phil is a feel player and will go with what he thinks is working the best come Thursday. Tiger tinkers. Phil tinkers. All the pros tinker before major championships but usually doesn't get reported unless your a big deal.

It does seem like he's a chronic tinkerer!

Back