Rickie Fowler - US Open Payne Tribute

Well done RF

Great job r.f! Think its a good gesture.

Wonder if he is doing the same tomorrow? (Assuming he is taking the weekend off like usual)

Throw a Payne style hat, in the colors to match the shoes/socks.... that would be great.

Probably not a better person in the field for this tribute. Well done Rickie and Puma.

It would be awesome if all of them had done a practice round in knickers or with a Kangol. Good stuff.

Anyword if he brought the outfit to the course and is playing now with the look?

Anyword if he brought the outfit to the course and is playing now with the look?
The pic was from the practice range...guessing he didn't go change his clothes after that for his round.

The picture was from before his round, I didn't know if he was just doing it on the practice green and fairways. Sorry to make your morning confusing. youll see more of that this weekend lol..
Huh? I'm confused.

The pic was from the practice range...guessing he didn't go change his clothes after that for his round.

Wait, I thought that was mandatory.

Wonder if he is doing the same tomorrow? (Assuming he is taking the weekend off like usual)

Heard them say he was only going to wear the outfit today and will be in his normal attire for the rest of the tourney. I won't knock him for only wearing it 1 day, as I feel that is an appropriate gesture. He's not trying to be Payne and he still needs to be himself. Great gesture and I wish others had done something similar....at least wear the hat, sheesh....

For those asking if he is going to wearing this during his round, yes he is....but today only.

Yeah its a class love for sure, definitely no problem with him switching back

I like that young buck. Well done Rickie :clapp:

Love it! Except for the flat bill.

I was thinking the same thing. Although, I have never been a flat bill fan.

I think he has to wear the flat brim or half the people wouldn't recognize him!

Great move by Rickie, really wonder if he will be the only one doing this.

I love this...if he plays well today, i'll bet he dresses similarly tomorrow...and if he wins the US Open, he'll have a new permanent style :)

To be clear, I don't respect Ricky any less because of the flat bill. I just think it would have been even better if he'd worn Payne's trademark hat as well. I've grown to like the dude despite the hat, and this was a class move.

He looks good. Nice move by him. Perfect idea.

Ricky is still going to be Ricky, he has a signature look just like Payne had. Personally I think Payne would of been flattered to see the look and to see Ricky keep his uniqueness. That's what he was all about.

This is straight from Cobra-Puma:

Rickie Fowler teed off at the 2014 US Open this morning wearing knickers, something he wanted to do in tribute to Payne Stewart.

"This week you can't help but think about Payne Stewart and his win at the '99 US Open. I thought wearing the knickers, a look he was so famous for, would be a nice way to honor and remember such a huge golf icon, and someone I've always admired and looked up to. He had such an impact on the game both on and off the course; always gracious, win or lose. We will all be thinking about him this week." - Rickie Fowler

Capture-L.png

Rickie paired his knickers with PUMA Golf apparel, shoes, and knee-high socks from the new Summer/Fall collection, and COBRA hat and belt.

To be clear, I don't respect Ricky any less because of the flat bill. I just think it would have been even better if he'd worn Payne's trademark hat as well. I've grown to like the dude despite the hat, and this was a class move.

I get it but from a pure marketing standpoint, there is no way Puma wants Rickie in anthing but the flat brim with the new Puma scripting. His photo will be everywhere today and they want that hat front and center.

RF just went up a handful of notches in my book. Absolutely love the gesture, and I don't even care about that hat for one day.

Awesome.

I like it. Very classy, but I like Rickie Fowler anyway. I hope he does well and has a great career. I didn't even notice the flat brim until it was pointed out, but even then it didn't seem out of place to me. This is supposed to be a "tip of the hat" or a "nod of the head" type of gesture, not an actual imitation. At least that's how I take it. So it's Rickie giving Payne a nod, but still being Rickie, which I think is even better. There's also an older thread on here that talks about Rickie being one of the biggest impact players on the tour, not due to his play, but his marketability. I think that this falls right in line with that frame of thought as well. Tournament hasn't even started and he is toward the center of attention of the tournament and like many of us on here, people will be rooting for him because of this nod to Payne Stewart.

Agreed w all of the above. Great tribute, not imitating.

When I saw him first thing this morning it brought a smile to my face. While his attire is typically flashy his demeanor is not. He's humble and always quick to compliment others. It's no surprise that he was willing to pay a tribute to an icon this week.

Back