The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty good practice session.
Took the alignment markers stuck them in the ground to the right of my back foot and forced myself not to get inside. Solid on the takeaway but had a few whoopsies on the downswing but still a work in progress.

While not as solid of ball striking as my lesson I was more consistent with the Contact. I am missing a little right and can feel my fight hand holding onto the club and not releasing properly which is frustrating.

Then worked a little on the downswing and reducing the slide that I've experienced as of late. Didn't do too bad with that.

Then am hour of short game which was amazinf. It's documented in the Titleist sm5 thread but chipped the ball really well. 120 balls and only 2 thin blades over the green, 1 of which was my first shot of the night. Really pleased what I saw on all kinds of shots from green side out to 15 yards.

I do need some major work on the 50 to 75 yard shots ad I'm missing right way too often. But will work on that a little more in the near future.

Hoping range tomorrow and lesson thursday.

Curious to everyone's answers to this. I cant hit a ball on the range to save my life no matter what I have tried. Get me into the round I have no problems but put me on the range and it is usually ugly.

I tend to be the complete opposite for the most part. Once I'm standing over the ball and it counts for something my mental game goes out the window all too often.

I have been working a lot on my full swing last weekend and yesterday, trying to figure out why I keep raising up out of the shot early. I finally realized that I'm still taking the club inside and laying off too much, resulting in an OTT move and I'm raising up just to make contact with the ball. It's been plaguing me this season, but now I'm focusing on swinging the handle and getting the club parallel to the target line at the top, then having my left hands dominate the downswing. I went to the range yesterday and was hitting the ball more flush and solidly than I have in a while. It felt much easier to create lag and get the club around, probably my hands are no longer too far behind me on the backswing. It's how I was swinging when I got my PB last month, so it makes sense to work on this swing. I'm excited to get out on the course again.

Time to work
requmy2u.jpg

Some range time after 18 this morning. Focus on my full iron swing which seems to be coming along nicely. Also spent some time with driver as it got me into trouble on a couple holes. Lesson tomorrow and more range work.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

It's 1:46 and I'm just sitting here at work thinking about what I need to do on the range tonight. I'm thinking weight transfer drills.

Got the Pelz Bible last night in the mail (Thanks DrMWP!!!!!) and I can't wait to get into that.

I'm hitting the ball pretty darn respectable right now however I got the stupids going on with the mental side :banghead:

Putting green after work. Might hit some chip shots too.

nu8a3u2u.jpg

Putting green after work. Might hit some chip shots too.

Chip some too, we cant rely on just my short game alone :)

That's one of the things I'm actually somewhat proficient at lol. We'll see if the hand agrees.
Ok i think from day 1 I asked for chips and 185-200.

but don't push that hand

No promises on 185-200. Unless I aim 40 yards right.

I was able to steal a long lunch hour to get across town to the last remaining active range in town. I've still been playing, but my practice accessibility has been an issue in the past few weeks. Anyway, while my contact has been good while playing, the pull has been creeping it's way back into the arsenal, which has been a tough demon to erase. So today was all about remembering to get the left hip moving to start the downswing, and things feel a bit better now. For clubs up to a 3 hybrid (as far as I got today), the ball was starting much more online, and moving 5 yards left or right depending on how other motions were flowing on that particular swing.

I'll play some more (maybe with more range time afterward) on Thursday, and I'm thinking about scheduling my last lesson for Monday.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403035711.120898.jpg

Couple things I need to realize. First is I need to be patient on the range. Flying through a bucket does me no good. I would hit a perfect ball that felt amazing and before I know it I've hit two consecutive balls off the hozzle. Second is I need to go to the range with a plan and stick with it. There is no rhyme or reason to my session today.

I'm starting to get my swing back so that's promising. I'm hitting more and more draws each range session and everything is starting to slow down for me

Lessons are over, swing is somewhat refined and what I have now will have to carry me over through the year. Tomorrow I'll go for an extended range session primarily working on the short irons and from here on out until the end of july it will just be a weekly round with about 3 or 4 range sessions a week fine tuning distances and direction, the insane hook still pops up a little but I think it will go away with a little tweaking.

I had a good time at the range today. Early on my shots with my wedges were good not great with a few great shots thrown in there. I realized on the great shots I was releasing the club later. I started doing that and all of the remaining shots were great and I started rotating my hips more so both played a factor. I decided to tee up a few balls for my hybrid and those went a mile. Got the ball flight I wanted and everything. Too bad all week the forecast is for afternoon thunderstorms.

Stoked! Just used a damn golf digest tip and it's like a new swing.
Third bucket coming. More later.

Tough day for irons. Good day for driver. Wedges were ok. Two buckets down.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A quick nine turned into a half day at the club, getting acquainted with the new shafts, practicing wedge shots and playing 9 holes with two balls in play. Shafts are great, but swing feels pretty good now. Getting the club parallel to the target helps, but noticed that two issues are I some time raise my arms too high, so my face is basically partially in my left arm pit, and still dealing with a few laid off swings. But when those two things didn't pop up, I was getting more distance and consistency. I would have stayed longer, but my course is hilly, I walked, and it was 90* and humid so I was dead afterwards.

I like where this is all headed though. And OC is just around the corner.

Have to admit really happy after 3 hours at the range today r

Got in a hour and a half at the range tonight. Cleaned up my 10-15-20-25 yard chips and pitches. Made sure I was keeping a consistent tempo and accelerating through the ball. Iron striking was okay to start the session, was staying in rhythm and hitting my spots for the most part. 5i and higher wasn't very good outside of some okay hybrid and 5w shots. I was too quick coming down and it always results in a poor shot. Playing tomorrow morning, so I'll be focused on a smooth transition and crisply striking the ball.

I read a tip in this thread of making sure your hands travel down the target line before and through impact as they control the club face, and that has really helped me mentally. When I create the feeling of the hands returning to their address position, I hit it flush most of the time. Thanks to whomever posted that.

Range was solid hit my irons pretty darn well. Then hit my j40s that are 2* up and had some really solid contact. Didn't hit a ton of balls but enough to know progress was made. Worked a bit on tempo too with a little pause at the top of my swing and it made a huge diffetence. Helps me to not get too quick on the transition.

Then of course I forgot how to chip lol. Thin and shanks was just blah. My bro suggested moving away from ball a bit and I had better contact. Must just be an off day as I had been doing really well chipping.

Hoping lesson thursday before 36 on sat.

Range was solid hit my irons pretty darn well. Then hit my j40s that are 2* up and had some really solid contact. Didn't hit a ton of balls but enough to know progress was made. Worked a bit on tempo too with a little pause at the top of my swing and it made a huge diffetence. Helps me to not get too quick on the transition.

Then of course I forgot how to chip lol. Thin and shanks was just blah. My bro suggested moving away from ball a bit and I had better contact. Must just be an off day as I had been doing really well chipping.

Hoping lesson thursday before 36 on friday.

36 Friday and Saturday? No wonder the response I got to if you wanna golf Sunday was "no I don't"

Typo meant sat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back