Which Tee Box Do You Play From? Why?

You also shot a 67 JT, you don't count buddy. LOL

Oh. Haha. Well, I figured I'd say something and contribute to the thread.

I like to play from about 6,200-6,500 so whatever tees put me at that yardage I'll play. My home course is a par 70 that is 6,300 yards and I find that to be the perfect length.

I play the white tees 90% of the time. Every now and again I'll back up to the blues, but only when we're the first or last group.

Our course has over 7,200 yards of golf, five tee boxes on each hole, so it varies for me depending who I am playing with. I normally play Gold or Blue and Black when I'm playing with a few select guys that are monsters off the box.
Here is a pretty cool interactive score card and views of the holes. http://weeksparkgolf.com/course-map/

I am 63 and prefer to play courses between 6000 and 6300 yards. That is my comfort zone.

At my home course there are only two choices, white or red. But when I go to a course with a lot of tee options, I like to look at the longest Par 3 on the scorecard. I figure out which tee box will let me reach it without using my driver and play those. Unless it is a course with all short Par 3's, then I just go with the whites.

That usually gives me a good mix of iron shots during the round. I don't want to play where everything is driver/wedge. Then I don't get much practice with my mid irons.

I know different courses have a varying number of tee boxes, but I wish there were some standards for color and name. I think it would make things easier. I played a course recently from the whites, which they listed as "standard". There was only one tee box shorter (red/forward) and 3 longer ones (black/tournament, gold/championship and blue/intermediate). I'm so used to playing the whites, but I think we should have been playing the blues. I know I should have just gone by yardage, but we didn't grab a scorecard and I was just using my phone app.

I've read that to determine the length course you should play, take the distance you hit a normal (realistic) 5i and multiple by 36. For me that is 175x36=6300 yards.

I don't really have set total length of course or tee box I play from. I use the method above and/or pick the tee box that has the longest possible Par 4's where none of the Par 4's is over 405 yards. This second method works well for me as I know I hit my tee shot about 230, which leaves me a 5i into the green on a 405 yard Par 4.

Mostly I play from the secnd to back tees, blue. Around 6400 yards but I dont mind playing the tips for a challenge.

Sent from my SGH-I257M using Tapatalk

It depends on the number of tee boxes. Not counting youth tee areas, if a course has 3 or 4 tee boxes, I generally play the 2nd longest. If 5 or more boxes, I usually opt for the middle.

Edit: For any course less than Par 35 for 9 holes, I play the tips.

Whatever gives me ~6000 to 6200 yards. That typically puts me on the whites in my neck of the woods.

I've read that to determine the length course you should play, take the distance you hit a normal (realistic) 5i and multiple by 36. For me that is 175x36=6300 yards.

I don't wanna use this factor as I'd never post a decent score as itd put me at/near the tips on almost every course

Which Tee Box Do You Play From? Why?

Here we have a standard system for all courses, except for 2 clubs that changed a few years ago to "yardage" tees. They have like 52,55,60,70 as 5200 meters and so on.

All the courses have the same system.

Red - Ladies
Blue - Seniors
Yellow - Men's
White - Back tee

There's only one course here that has Gold tees, behind the white ones. It's 7320 yards from the gold tee's. I've played it once, scored 91.

Last edited:
My home course I've played from the Whites @ 6575, the Yellows @ 6100 and the Reds @ 5559. My lowest score has been off the Whites. I generally play with my wife who tees off from the Reds our rounds take 3 - 3 1/2 hours depending on the group in front. The most fun is from the Reds I can hit all the Par 3 greens and have a 7 or less second shot.

For the foreseeable future I am staying on the Red tees, once I consistently break 95 then Im moving back to the Yellows, If I can break 90 then Im going back to the Whites. I find this game hard enough as it is at the moment without making it harder.

Used to play from the back tees until I started playing in tournaments amd the middle tees were always played in them so I changed permamently. All of my best scores at my course were from the back tees (about 300 yards further than the middle tees).

Normally I will select a set of tees that the yardage will play from 6300-6800 yards.

Question is what tees do I play at Pebble Beach? Thinking I have to play the championship tees...just because.

White tees for me because I'm an ole baste*d

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will probably stick to blues unless I break par--then I will move it back

The courses around here are all under 6600 yards so I try to play the tips. If playing with others and they're all playing from a forward tee I'll play up though. My drive normally carries 230-240 so if there are holes from the tips where that won't get me over trouble I'll tee it forward. Maybe if there are a lot of long par 4s where I'd be forced to hit a wood approach more than once or twice.

I typically play the whites (or whatever color is analogous to the whites). I certainly can play the blues, but at many courses it's a bit uncomfortable to do so. Not being a long hitter, I might find myself hitting long irons or hybrids into most greens if I play from the blues, and that's not much fun.

I like playing courses that run about 6500 yards. I can usually hit every club in my bag on that length.
One of my home course, from the whites, plays about 5900 yards. I hit irons off the tee as often as I don't.
The other course has a 475 yd par 4 from the tips (6400 yds), which I play as a bogey hole, and I have not been on in two yet.

Here we have a standard system for all courses, except for 2 clubs that changed a few years ago to "yardage" tees. They have like 52,55,60,70 as 5200 meters and so on.

All the courses have the same system.

Red - Ladies
Blue - Seniors
Yellow - Men's
White - Back tee

A little different than most around here, but at least there's a standard. I think the most common colors for 5 tees is:
Red=ladies
Gold=Senior
White=mens
Blue=championship
Black=tournament

A little different than most around here, but at least there's a standard. I think the most common colors for 5 tees is:
Red=ladies
Gold=Senior
White=mens
Blue=championship
Black=tournament
Yep that's how I've always known them.

I just go by the yardage and how well I am playing. I play the tee that gives me a reasonable chance of putting the second shot on most par 4's on the green.

Back