The Ultimate Golf Event Period - The 2014 Morgan Cup - #THPMC

One of the cool things for me personally is that even though I have done this before, I still feel like I have no idea what to expect. This event is so much bigger and so much better than when I did it the first time that it might as well be a completely different THP event. I am excited to get there Wednesday and meet the rest of my team, who I feel like I have known forever, and the other guys we have shared this journey with (volunteers, players, and families alike). I'm actually excited that my family is not coming along (wife and I discussed exactly this), so that I can give my full attention to soaking all this in as if I will never get to have an experience like this again. I'm excited to walk out to that range and fist-bump JB, hug Morgan, and meet HashtagChad, shake his hand heartedly, and thank him in person for all Callaway has done for us staffers. I'm excited to see what all of the work we've all put in on our games looks like in person, and to see the great matchups unfold over the course of Saturday, I'm excited to write down an order for Sunday singles and see the matchups the Golf Gods produce, I'm excited to see the final round of action develop and a winner of this magnificent event crowned, and I'm excited to share that last evening together before we all go our separate ways.

This. And while this is true, it is also not as we also know where we will be. Right. Here.

No harm no foul James. At the end of the day, it's still a friendly competition. We all have a level of pressure we put on ourselves to be able to give our very best for ourselves and our teammates.

To keep yourself in check, act in a manner that someone would still want to shake your hand and give you a bro hug after the round. If you feel you've been too intense that someone wouldn't do that, put yourself in check and get your head straight.

Also being said, someone needs to have a skin thick enough to not get mad that someone makes you putt a 3-4ft putt if they choose to. It's not a personal attack. Just say ok and line it up and knock it in.

I've been a bit....reserved....on all this lately as it pertains to this thread, and that is for a variety of reasons but namely a LOT of other things on my mind. Thankfully those things have gone from stressors to proud and excited things.

I've had my game face on for the #THPMC, I fully admit that and I make no apologies for it. I've been on edge with it because I expect a lot out of myself not just for me, but for my teammates, for my family, for THP. With that things have the tendency to get a bit...snippy...at times and I apologize if I've offended anyone along the way for that, as anyone who knows me knows that I bleed THP and I bleed the meaning of this place. It means the world to me in more ways that I could ever articulate into a single post.

But I won't apologize for being competitive, the point of an event, of a competition, is to want to win. I know that there are 32 other THP'ers outside of Team THP that WANT to win, that desire to win, that have also driven themselves to win. Isn't that amazing to think about, people putting it all on the line to reach levels they have never attained and in some cases never thought they would. A home and a game that brings us all together in a myriad of different ways and relationships.

I won't stop being competitive, I won't stop being focused, I won't stop being driven. But, I also will NEVER stop being here for and believing in each and every one of you. Sunday night when we all gather around, exhausted, drained, and PROUD....that will be an amazing moment.

You are all my family, you will always be my family. The end game is upon us, the competition is near, the drive will increase, the nerves will increase, and MONTHS of passion will be laid on the line. I'm proud to be going into this with all of you, players, volunteers, and visionaries alike.
Don't ever apologize for wanting to win, in the end this competition is about winning it all.

I have no doubt that every single one of you wants to walk away with the title of Morgan Cup Champion!!!

Don't forget this is what you're playing for:
morgan-cup-2011.png
morgan-cup-2012.png
morgan-cup-2013.png
2014???

James, no need to apologize because I think inside all of us is that wanting to win and an intensity that this journey has produced. If you don't have that in you right now, you need to find it quickly or be left in the dust

Proud Member of #TeamParadise

No harm no foul James. At the end of the day, it's still a friendly competition. We all have a level of pressure we put on ourselves to be able to give our very best for ourselves and our teammates.

To keep yourself in check, act in a manner that someone would still want to shake your hand and give you a bro hug after the round. If you feel you've been too intense that someone wouldn't do that, put yourself in check and get your head straight.

Also being said, someone needs to have a skin thick enough to not get mad that someone makes you putt a 3-4ft putt if they choose to. It's not a personal attack. Just say ok and line it up and knock it in.

Perfectly put, Captain.

I think Wardy worded it great. If you've been acting like a Turd Ferguson, right the ship, and it's all good. That being said, tone is lost so much on the Internet, and I know I've been guilty of taking things the wrong way. No harm no foul in the end, it's a competition and I want to be able to shake my opponents hand and say "helluva match." We are 1 month away, the journey is coming to an end, time to savor each day and enjoy these last bits. See you cats in Myrtle!

Again, another day of awesomeness in this thread. All points are great and the only thing I will add is that it takes stones for people to recognize and apologize. What those on the receiving end do with it says a great deal about them as well. Not singling anyone or any situation out. Just something my mom taught me and was compelled to add. I want to be able to accept whatever outcome there is and know that I did my best and didn't beat myself. The rest will take care of itself and we will all be better for it afterwards.

No tone in MB, its live! Looking forward to sharing this!

JM

I think Wardy worded it great. If you've been acting like a Turd Ferguson, right the ship, and it's all good. That being said, tone is lost so much on the Internet, and I know I've been guilty of taking things the wrong way. No harm no foul in the end, it's a competition and I want to be able to shake my opponents hand and say "helluva match." We are 1 month away, the journey is coming to an end, time to savor each day and enjoy these last bits. See you cats in Myrtle!

With all due respect...

Jman, I don't see any reason why you should apologize.

This is how I try to think about myself and competitions.

I'm all for being competitive and I'll do my best to win and keep the other guys from winning. But...I want to do it by playing better than the opponent, not by being a dick.

Good sportsmanship, having fun and making sure people around me have fun. That should do it.

This MC has. Even tame in every sense of the word. Heck, silent might be a good way to describe it at times. A lot of factors played into that James. I see no reason to apologize. You have been active, helpful and funny at time (a few) but I see no reason for you to justify anything you have done.

It's been said thousands of times. Every has their own journey. No one is right or wrong. I have seen some stuff that made me smile and some stuff that has made me shake my head. But I am sure we all have those experiences. No one is right or wrong, it's just different. No one should apologize for following their journey. With that said, I have seen so many people grow both on and off the course and it has been really awesome. Cant wait to see EVERYONE at the MC. No one deserved to be in the event but we have all earned it.

I agree with everyone James that there is no reason apologize for anything. All 40 of us have been working our butts off in hopes of claiming the cup and celebrating on that patio. It's all in the spirit of competition and hopefully nobody took anything personal. Soon all is will be in MB creating memories that will last a lifetime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jman no worries bro, I feel the same competitive juices that you do and I've never seen a bad or questionable post by you dude. Be who you are, you're loved and respected for it.

No idea what prompted your post, James, but from where I've been reading, you're nothing more than a passionate competitor, and you have nothing to apologize for.

This has been a whirlwind from the word go, and it's going to get faster before it slows down on a balmy Sunday in July. Sure, there's been some trash talk taken the wrong way or taken too far, but in the end this is a family football game at Thanksgiving; you give it everything you've got, then you get together and eat turkey. This event has brought me closer to my team, closer with many others in the MC, and deeper into the family that we all call THP, and win lose or draw, I'm far better off having gone through this journey.

I am feeling some love in this thread today! good to see it--we are all competitors that want to win! This is an awesome event with only 8 out of the 40 guys who will win it. We will battle with honor and then enjoy the time together regardless of outcome!

4 saturdays from today those 1st tee nerves will be making their way to #1 and #10 at True Blue.
Still time to fine tune the game and train the body and mind for what is about to go down.

Just seems like yesterday we had this crazy countdowns months and months out and now it's almost here.

4 saturdays from today those 1st tee nerves will be making their way to #1 and #10 at True Blue.
Still time to fine tune the game and train the body and mind for what is about to go down.

Just seems like yesterday we had this crazy countdowns months and months out and now it's almost here.

Good point about fine tuning. Still time to get better!

I'm very excited!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm getting my groove on next week. Tuesday is the annual golf marathon, 4 rounds in one day and sat & sun is 36 holes per day on unfamiliar courses. After that I'll play just a round or two per week until the event week.

Getting some time in on a longer than usual course tomorrow to do some prep. It's crazy, but there's not a whole lot of time to get too many rounds in before. Had a great range session yesterday, and think I worked out some issues I was having on the green. Going back today to keep up the momentum.

I am all tuned up and tuned out! My next month will be a relaxing time, nothing pressing. My game is solid and if I get beat, it's because I ran into a better player. Not because there are holes in my game. I know I have the game to hang with most except for Trout, BigTime, Spicoli, Dan, David, Mojo, TNT, Parshooter, Mward, Donne, wcbm, howzat, kang, brad, Christian, amart, adam, manard, flog, Seth, Andy, wardf, Nebraska, Zenger, mpeterson, jerseynate, castor....at the MC anything can happen and anything will happen.

Your games are set boys. There is no more to be learned or worked out. Coming in 4 weeks will be the chance to show yourselves that the last 8 months, smiles, jokes, anger, frustration, trash talk, club selection, weight loss and a host of other things was all worth it. No more fine tuning, just hanging in to what you have, trust me you'll be searching for it on the first tee. It will be all about muscle memory at that point.

I know you guys will all succeed, trust me, you all have done so already. Don't look to Sunday, look to that first tee and let the rest infold through out the seconds, minutes and hours that follow. The work you've done will show itself every step of the way. Boys the day will be yours, breathe it in, feel it on your skin, taste it in the air. Savor it and live it. The MC is at your feet, don't miss it looking past it. This is the greatest damn golf event for a damn good reason. 4 Saturdays from today you'll know exactly what I am taking about.

Last edited:
Freddie with another tremendous post. Well said.

Freddie, you just made another day great dude. Would you talk to me every morning? That sounded weird......:alien:

JM

Back