The Ultimate Golf Event Period - The 2014 Morgan Cup - #THPMC

I don't think my wife is there, and that has made this journey harder. Every time I want to go to the course or the practice range, I feel I have to try and justify it with her and bargain for the extra time. I think as it's getting closer she's starting to come around, but I have a feeling all of this time away from the house right now is going to cost me in August. Still, putting in the time so I have no regrets when it's all over.

It's why I'm working nights right now. Leaves me the daylight hours to get to the course. My wife understands, mostly because we're both aware that after the Cup, golf will dial back to a more ordinary place in my life. Whether that's a natural "Morgan Cup hangover" or a voluntary reduction remains to be seen. Plus, she's getting a poolside vacation in South Carolina, so she's happy. By now she's mostly worried I get enough sleep with how much golf I'm playing and the hours I work.

Speaking to Buck this weekend he said it's such a let down not having anything to really play for. so I guess it depends on what you have planned afterwards.

It's going to be weird not having the MC on my mind when going to the course, so I'm sure there will be less or a different motivation to go out and play. As Donne said, I think not getting our equipment until the MC will help to want to get out and play. There are a few NC amateur events in my area that I think I'm going to sign up that take play in August to keep my motivated to go out and play.

I think there will be a difference after the Morgan Cup is over. Having that drive to prep for something will definitely be lacking. However the view I have on golf and life will be different. I will have a band of 39 new compadres to relive those memories. The amount of time I play will return to normal schedule, but I will continue to strive to improve my game.

I am not ready to talk about the hangover at this point. Only a few weeks to go and I can't wait.

I am not ready to talk about the hangover at this point. Only a few weeks to go and I can't wait.

Completely agree with this. I still have 3 solid weeks of prep and a great weekend ahead before I start worrying about any type of hangover

Proud Member of #TeamParadise

That's what I'm talking about. No talks of hangovers when we haven't even sipped the last drop of sweet nectar out if that cup yet!

#weareinthefinalcountdown
#letscontinuetogetafterit

I haven't even gotten in the car to drive up and we're talking hangover. Hell I want to get knee deep in this thing before I even look past it. We've all
Made sacrifices for this event. The wives will be there when we get home. Most think this is a fade and will be gone when you arrive.

I made sure my wife was happy with date nights, passed rounds of golf to head to beach and dinner every night. She did make a requested that if there is another that it's closer and near a beach so she can bring kids.

Anyway boys, spend time with your families and be dads, boyfriends and husbands. Like I said before, the game is what it is at this point. I know some disagree but my experience has shown that what you have know will be there in a month. Probably in better shape of you allow yourselves time to reflect. Bad habits have a way of working them selves out if they are repeated through long range sessions.

Stop feeling guilty about your work you've done and start enjoying these last couple weeks. I promise if you don't, you will play poorly. It will be on your minds if you don't let it go now.

The Vets don't know what is in store for us this year and I can't wait to see the looks on the rookies faces, because all the coverage of the event and the recap threads etc., pale in comparision to being part of it. Now is the time to start soaking it all in. All the hard work and prep. All the time away from your families. It is hard for them to understand now but they will get it soon. I know my wife did not understand until after her first event.

I haven't even gotten in the car to drive up and we're talking hangover. Hell I want to get knee deep in this thing before I even look past it. We've all
Made sacrifices for this event. The wives will be there when we get home. Most think this is a fade and will be gone when you arrive.

I made sure my wife was happy with date nights, passed rounds of golf to head to beach and dinner every night. She did make a requested that if there is another that it's closer and near a beach so she can bring kids.

Anyway boys, spend time with your families and be dads, boyfriends and husbands. Like I said before, the game is what it is at this point. I know some disagree but my experience has shown that what you have know will be there in a month. Probably in better shape of you allow yourselves time to reflect. Bad habits have a way of working them selves out if they are repeated through long range sessions.

Stop feeling guilty about your work you've done and start enjoying these last couple weeks. I promise if you don't, you will play poorly. It will be on your minds if you don't let it go now.

I agree dude, the game is where it is with the exception of some serious short game grind outs, the time to prepare mentally is now and all the worrying has to go to the wayside, it needs to be replaced with confidence. I'm not a worrier though, I am a Warrior lol.

I agree dude, the game is where it is with the exception of some serious short game grind outs, the time to prepare mentally is now and all the worrying has to go to the wayside, it needs to be replaced with confidence. I'm not a worrier though, I am a Warrior lol.

If you show up to MB with face paint you will be called the Ultimate Warrior.

I agree with fine tuning, because that is all that should be left. The heavy lifting should be over and confidence should be escaping from the seams. If your still searching for that best believe their are 39 other guys that will be ready to attack.

Man knowing tomorrow is July 1st kicks the excitement into overdrive!!! Just think boys some if us will be arriving at Caledonia 21 wake ups!!!

Question for the Vets. Am I going to be burnt out after this and need to take some time off? I am holding off on committing to golf post-MC because I feel after all this work I am going to need a breather.

I think it differs for everyone. While the lack of desire to hit the range and grind it out may not be there, the desire to still get out there and play was there for me after the MC.

No, it's not the same as you don't feel that you're really working towards a goal.......but getting to the course is a stress reliever for me so I won't take a month off or anything like that. Plus, I have the Bridgestone Championship and #ZooCrew on the mind once this is over.

Please explain to me what fine tuning is? Are you moving your grip 1/4" strong. Ball position? What is fine tuning?

Please explain to me what fine tuning is? Are you moving your grip 1/4" strong. Ball position? What is fine tuning?

I never really understood it either Mr. Kong. The way it was explained to me was that it was more about playing, and less about changes being made that one must work on to ingrain.

I can tell you what it is for me, It's hitting different shots around the greens with different clubs or, dialing in distances with wedges from 40 yds and in, it's playing into the the range target from the front, back, left, and right side, and working on concentration can fall in to that too.

I never really understood it either Mr. Kong. The way it was explained to me was that it was more about playing, and less about changes being made that one must work on to ingrain.

I know for some there is fine tuning in the way they approach their games. I'm just trying to understand because I really don't. Maybe it's something I need to pay attention to.

Everything about the golf swing it muscle memory. That means in the next 3 weeks you would have to groove a swing thought for it to be part of the game. Too me that is change and not tuning. If you don't have 'rope hook me Jesus' in the bag, you can tune til the cows come home. It ain't gonna be there come the MC. I'm truly trying to understand, fine tuning.

Rickus, I missed it yesterday, but I did want to say I loved that post. I'm going to give you the biggest high five ever seen when we meet in MB.

As for the final weeks, time will be limited with vacations and family obligations, so I'm glad I started when I did and devoted daily work when I did. At this point, I'm going to keep working on drills when I can, but am finding a lot of value on the course just working on distance control and touch with wedges and the putter. That paid off yesterday for me and I expect it will be the same way in MB.

I'll take the mum on fine tuning rather than say something that will be taken in the wrong manner.

...but if rolling putt after putt and chip after chip is considered a major swing change then so be it.

Once again not trying to be a smart ass or want anything to be taken out of context.

I can tell you what it is for me, It's hitting different shots around the greens with different clubs or, dialing in distances with wedges from 40 yds and in, it's playing into the the range target from the front, back, left, and right side, and working on concentration can fall in to that too.

This I can wrap my head around. But you have intimate knowledge of exactly what your clubs will do on certain shots. You're not learning a new shot because of your skill level. Your stimulating that creative side of your golfing brain.

This I can wrap my head around. But you have intimate knowledge of exactly what your clubs will do on certain shots. You're not learning a new shot because of your skill level. Your stimulating that creative side of your golfing brain.

Exactly, no new shots are going in the bag lol unless I have to create one while I'm there.

I'll take the mum on fine tuning rather than say something that will be taken in the wrong manner.

...but if rolling putt after putt and chip after chip is considered a major swing change then so be it.

Once again not trying to be a smart ass or want anything to be taken out of context.
I'm not discounting anyone's prep so speak up son. We are having a healthy conversation. I'm trying to get a sense of people's fine tuning.

Rolling putt after putt and chip after chip for an extended amount of time will groove that motion. To me that just a continuation of the past 8 months.

Lagging putts to a set distance to me would be fine tuning. Taking care of the little things that make or break a round would be fine tuning to me.

So please stop be scared and speak up man, sound off like you have a pair! :D so you know I'm kidding

25 days till the event begins. That gives me three more weekends of ridiculous amounts of golf to prepare myself for 36-18 on Saturday/Sunday. Yeah, I feel like garbage this morning, but it'll be 100x easier to deal with the rigors of the Cup if I've been there and done that.

Range sessions, putting sessions, lessons, and confidence. I'm driven by my teammates, my sponsors, and everyone who will be watching on THP. This event means everything to me, and I refuse to leave on the Monday after feeling like I didn't do absolutely everything I could.

Plus, how cool is it to have your great shots immortalized in video for millions to see?

Especially given I'll be using a completely different set of clubs come MC, my focus the next few weeks is going to be on putting, course management, and grooving a driver swing. Those I feel I can at least slightly improve in 3 weeks. No sense in trying to really dial in my distances, since that's all going to change when I get down there.

Played a bit longer than usual course this weekend to get comfortable in that 6400-6500 yard range, rather than the 6100 or so I usually play. It was good to get out on a few long par 5s. I'm very happy where my irons are (especially given my struggles to start the year), as long as I swing within myself. The only times I really got into trouble there yesterday was when I was trying to carry my 5i 190 instead of 170.

Playing as close to 6500 yards as I can
Continual practicing of distance control with chips/pitches
Continual putting practice from 10 feet in
Lag putts from >10 ft
Playing within myself on the course.

Those are my fine tuning for the last 3 weeks. It's a continuation of the entire process, but the full swing is there, and I am happy with it, so it's just a matter of continuing to prepare myself for the 54 hole grind.

Fine tuning for me is just getting repetition. Getting a club in my hands and working on the feel of my swing, touch pitches and chips. It's thinking about how I line up a putt or read a green and determining if there's a more productive way to do it.

At this point, I have what I have. It's just a matter of getting comfortable with my game and scoring when I need to.

My fine tuning is on my short game and committing the swing I've been working on to memory. Not making any changes, just continuing to focus on making the right move so that it is engrained in my unconscious. For putting and chipping, just working on distance control and reading greens. I think the green reading is there as I'm putting putts on line but coming up short more often than long.

Back