The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Worked with my putter last night doing some uphill putts and down hills after getting some great drills from Freddie. Defiantly feeling better about the flat stick and just feel I need to be more agressive. I would rather miss a uphill with going a foot pass than being short becuase I know I had a great chance there. But anyways I am feeling better and especially last night, it just felt like the ball was hitting nice off the face. Felt like the nice sweet spot alot. After half an hour of putting worked with the short irons and WOW it's such a amazing feeling when your striking the ball and you just keep on doing it. Gotta say, when hitting them irons like that it really makes you enjoy the Game of Golf much more. Going to get out and play 9 after work with my bud. I imagine ill be working on the putting hardcore again tonight.

so in the last 48 hours i had my first lesson in 8-9 years as described in this thread ( http://www.thehackersparadise.com/f...-the-first-of-6-lessons-looking-forward-to-it )

Spent 45 minutes on short game during lunch yesterday, and plan do so twice a week, for the next few months.

Then last night started my first golf focused training from "fix your body, fix your swing" and while nothing eye opening, as i have been a gym rat for 20+ years, it is nice to focus on 12 or so exercises that should enhance my abilities on the range and course.

Next to last lesson tonight. Suspect we'll just work on the same things we've been doing the last month or so. Hit up the garage last night to work on the partial wedge swing. Started with the shortest swings and moved up to the longer ones. Just focusing on contact and getting the handle in front of the ball as much as possible. Gotta remember to stay loose in the arms.

Lesson #9 today with some range session. cant recall whats on the schedule for this one but I think its irons and driver and then we are leaving the other 3 for short game work and playing lesson, but I could be wrong.

If you can get that thin miss minimized with the irons you will be a force to reckon with and I want a match up with you before seasons out.

Should get some practice and 9 holes in tomorrow

2 hour range session this morning. Wanted to sleep in but once that alarm went off my first thought was MC month. 1st hour spent on full swing. I've been thinking about a pre shot routine so I was focusing on that. I've definitely got a one way miss going, which is good, I just need to improve my consistency. After a half a den caddy full of golf balls was gone I headed to the practice green. 25 shots out of the bunker was followed by 50 chips. I spent the last 30 minutes putting with my focus solely on line and speed.

If you can get that thin miss minimized with the irons you will be a force to reckon with and I want a match up with you before seasons out.
Sounds like a plan to me

I hit the range yesterday afternoon and worked on short game for about an hour and a half. Basically worked on various types of lies and hole locations (uphill/downhill) with different trajectory shots. Working on leaving myself no putts longer than 5-10' will be key. Seen some great results and I am comfortable where my chipping is at right now.

Today will be a stop at the range to work on some putting.

Got a lesson planned for Wednesday, which is my makeup for the one that got rained out Saturday. Weather is looking kind of iffy again. Ugh.

I spent the entire morning at the range going through the whole bag and I can honestly say that with the exception of the 50 yds and in game, my swing change is where I want it. I originally wanted to bring the draw back into my game this year but around April I decided to go back to taking the left side out as well as the draw, I struggled up until early last month with the doublecross and a hook that must have been delivered from the Gods, only they could have manufactured something so unique lol. I still revert back every once in a while but it's not punishing like it was.

This thread has pushed me to be better, I love it in here.

Glad to hear it TB! I know it was a little frustrating for you there for awhile, so this should be very satisfying for you.

I spent the entire morning at the range going through the whole bag and I can honestly say that with the exception of the 50 yds and in game, my swing change is where I want it. I originally wanted to bring the draw back into my game this year but around April I decided to go back to taking the left side out as well as the draw, I struggled up until early last month with the doublecross and a hook that must have been delivered from the Gods, only they could have manufactured something so unique lol. I still revert back every once in a while but it's not punishing like it was.

This thread has pushed me to be better, I love it in here.

Glad you have found your swing buddy, maybe you can hit your 3 iron 50 yards further and eliminate the need for those short touch shots :)

Glad to hear it TB! I know it was a little frustrating for you there for awhile, so this should be very satisfying for you.

Glad you have found your swing buddy, maybe you can hit your 3 iron 50 yards further and eliminate the need for those short touch shots :)

Thanks guys, there were honestly times where I wanted to just walk away for a year, I don't ever remember being that frustrated but you guys and my team kept the positive vibes and support going and I was able to push through it. I told my teacher I'll never do it again and he laughed and said he wouldn't help me lol.

I'd like to share something that I really have never done pre round.
When I don't just show up and play, I usually hit some balls then putt.

TPluff in Ocean City brought his wedge, so I also did.
Tyler and I found ourselves in a green side chipping competition. I must say, I think this gave me a great start to my rounds last weekend, as I got a confidence level from this resulting in a good many of make able putts from these sort of chips this weekend!

Thanks Tyler!

Good stuff Coers. I know what you mean about the feeling of well struck iron shots. There may not be a better feeling in golf.

Good stuff Coers. I know what you mean about the feeling of well struck iron shots. There may not be a better feeling in golf.

it's a toss up between those and that dead center, shot out of a cannon kind of drive, they are both great feelings.

Frustrated from my range session yesterday. Recently I've developed a monster pull-hook. The ball flight is often low as well. I've experimented with weaker/stronger grips, trying to swing more over the top, but haven't seen any difference. Here's a video:

In the video I'm hitting an 18 degree hybrid. All I know is something is causing me to close the clubface at impact, because when I consciously try to force my right wrist from turning over, it will go straight. However I'm pretty sure there's some other issue at play here, since I've never had to worry about my hands/wrists in the past (I just grip it properly and let them do their thing).

Any ideas?

Annnddd. ..off to the range dotman

Spent a couple hours on the chipping green practicing short game and bunker play.

Frustrated from my range session yesterday. Recently I've developed a monster pull-hook. The ball flight is often low as well. I've experimented with weaker/stronger grips, trying to swing more over the top, but haven't seen any difference. Here's a video:

In the video I'm hitting an 18 degree hybrid. All I know is something is causing me to close the clubface at impact, because when I consciously try to force my right wrist from turning over, it will go straight. However I'm pretty sure there's some other issue at play here, since I've never had to worry about my hands/wrists in the past (I just grip it properly and let them do their thing).

Any ideas?

I'll be of no help, but it might be worth taking another video (face on) and posting it so Tadashi can give you some advice.

I'll be of no help, but it might be worth taking another video (face on) and posting it so Tadashi can give you some advice.

No expert here, and no i did not stay at a Holiday Inn last night, but your posture seems very up right, and your hands very flippy ie.e not much lag, hard to really see the shaft angle on that video.

I'd like to share something that I really have never done pre round.
When I don't just show up and play, I usually hit some balls then putt.

TPluff in Ocean City brought his wedge, so I also did.
Tyler and I found ourselves in a green side chipping competition. I must say, I think this gave me a great start to my rounds last weekend, as I got a confidence level from this resulting in a good many of make able putts from these sort of chips this weekend!

Thanks Tyler!

This is something I usually do as well. It give me touch around and on the greens and is something I didn't do sat and my score on the front showed it.

Spending 10mins pre game to hit the high, low, short and long shots around the greens really helps loosen me up before the first tee.

Any ideas?

You have a pretty goodswing mickeyd but I think Hawk is right, a straight on video showing more of the head on view will help a ton and Freddie will be able to diagnose it pretty quick. Looks to me like you have all kinds of movement, lower body, upper body, head, they're all moving vertically a ton, maybe work on your tempo and see if you can get things to quiet down a bit. Freddie is much more qualified to diagnose you though

Had one my worse range sessions of the year this morning. I'm so screwed up right now. The only club I can hit with any consistency is my driver. Off to see my swing coach. Maybe he straighten me out.

Had one my worse range sessions of the year this morning. I'm so screwed up right now. The only club I can hit with any consistency is my driver. Off to see my swing coach. Maybe he straighten me out.

You'll get it figured out Ken, too solid of a golfer not to!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back