The Ultimate Golf Event Period - The 2014 Morgan Cup - #THPMC

I really really want one of these:

jy8uhagy_zpsf4c60274.jpg

Don't worry, they will be!

So, getting very close to #THMPC now, a question for the participants.

Is your game where you want it? If you could improve anything about your game, what would it be?

And more importantly, how freeking excited are you!!!???

Where I want it to be? No
What would I improve? Only thing I'm really happy with is putting. Tee game, irons, and short game could all use some improvement. Out of those, I think iron striking would be the biggest benefactor for improvement. Hit some fantastic tee shots yesterday only to thin an approach, etc.....

Excitement level and nervous anxiousness climbs every day...stressing a bit cause things aren't firing on all cylinders as I wish they were and I have 2 weeks of hell at work starting today with mid-year performance reviews for all my directs. Blah...

Game is what it is. Seems a bit more consistent than in the past, so that makes me happy. I'm not ever going to be satisfied with my game I figure, but that's part of the fun. In a perfect world I'd be a longknocker, but such is life :)

So, getting very close to #THMPC now, a question for the participants.

Is your game where you want it? If you could improve anything about your game, what would it be?

And more importantly, how freeking excited are you!!!???

Is my game where I'd like it, yes and know. I know how to golf and I know how to score. But my scoring could better. Patients could be better.

Excited to see some folks and share in this brotherhood with others. Excited to play golf on two outstanding course and break bread with some cool people. Excited to get my gear in my hands and excited that this is coming to a head. And excited to give our supporters that show they deserve and being home the title.

Game is what it is. Seems a bit more consistent than in the past, so that makes me happy. I'm not ever going to be satisfied with my game I figure, but that's part of the fun. In a perfect world I'd be a longknocker, but such is life :)

Wait, so you arent a longknocker? #InternetGolfingCaptain

You've still got my 8i beat....... Lolz

LOL. It's those dang strong lofts.

Got me by about 10-15 yards. #HawkStrong
Same here. Only way I get that distance on an 8 iron is if I blade the crap out of it.

Same here. Only way I get that distance on an 8 iron is if I blade the crap out of it.

#ThinToWin or at least thats my motto. Haha

Just learn to blade it consistently, and there you go - big hitter!

I have a couple questions:

What are you scared of? and how are you preparing to deal with those fears?

What would you want if you could have it, more lessons, more range time,or more playing?

How are you preparing yourself to play in a tight match, when youre in control of your match, or playing catch up in a match?

How do you plan to reset (relax) between matches/days?

Thanks!

Again, you all are freaking rock stars I am enjoying the heck out of this thread, I cant imagine how glued I will be to your updates!

CJ I missed this while I was away for the holiday week/weekend. Below are my answers.

What are you scared of? and how are you preparing to deal with those fears? My biggest fear is how my body will hold up. This year I am changing my plans leading up to the event. In the past I have gotten in to MB on Tuesday night and played 18 on Weds/Thurs and then the event starting Friday. This year, I am getting in Weds and playing 36 Thursday, new format has us with 9 on Friday, and then 36 Sat and 18 Sunday. All in all it could end up being 6 full rounds of golf in 4 days. So with all that said my biggest fear is having my body give out on my and having nothing left in the tank come late Saturday or Sunday. To prep, I have played and specifically walked a tough walking course, in some hot and humid conditions. This year I have not played as many 36 hole rounds leading up to the event as I would have liked, but it is what it is at this point.

What would you want if you could have it, more lessons, more range time,or more playing? Mentioned above, a few more days of 36 holes would be nice. I had some lessons get canceled because of weather or other engagements/holidays that we just couldn't get the rescheduled. However, I have a good road map to follow these last couple of weeks.

How are you preparing yourself to play in a tight match, when youre in control of your match, or playing catch up in a match? I have been lucky to have all 3 of those experiences in the MC. I've had matches both in team play and singles that my side has lead from the 2nd hole on, had matches where I've been down 2 after 4, and matches where I was 4 down at the turn. When up in the match, to me the biggest thing is hitting the green. Since I am a shorter hitter, I usually hit first from the FW. I always felt that if I can hit the green, that might give a little more pressure to the person trying to come back. Playing from behind? My biggest thing is not to panic and to trust the swing. Last year in singles against War I got pretty frustrated at myself on the front 9, actually for the first 10 holes I was miserable. A couple good shots helped get me back in the swing of things. From 11-16 might have been some of the best golf I played all week. Just need to understand that there are ups and downs in match play.

How do you plan to reset (relax) between matches/days? Quickly grab a bite to eat. Sadly this is another thing I'm kind of worried about. The last 2 years when it's been a tight move from one course to the other, I had Nerfny there to order me something and I usually ended up eating my lunch on the first tee at Caledonia. Ideally my first match will be over with enough time to get some food in me, kick back a bit, and decompress before having to go out in round 2. Also I usually love to go back and see how my teammates are doing in their matches. That tends to help me relax a bit too.

I'm going to piggy back a little off of the post I made in the range/practice thread. After I hit my last drive today I sat down and just kind of soaked things in. The last 6 months have been hell in my personal life and the last month has been particularly bad. My golf game was suffering and not because of lack of effort. I just couldn't get out of my own head. I haven't been around as much as I should be but I want you all to know that each one of you has helped me through this process. Even if it was just a funny post that made me smile during the day, you have all helped and I thank you for that. This won't be a long drawn out post, just a simple thank you to everyone who is in this event and supporting/following the lead up. See you brohans in a couple weeks.

I'm going to piggy back a little off of the post I made in the range/practice thread. After I hit my last drive today I sat down and just kind of soaked things in. The last 6 months have been hell in my personal life and the last month has been particularly bad. My golf game was suffering and not because of lack of effort. I just couldn't get out of my own head. I haven't been around as much as I should be but I want you all to know that each one of you has helped me through this process. Even if it was just a funny post that made me smile during the day, you have all helped and I thank you for that. This won't be a long drawn out post, just a simple thank you to everyone who is in this event and supporting/following the lead up. See you brohans in a couple weeks.

This too shall pass dude, every once in a while life shows up and gives us some lessons that one day we'll either understand or we'll use our experiences to help someone else that's going through the crap. The Morgan Cup will bring everything back around and you'll be with a group of people that love you dude and for those few days life will be good. The hell can catch back up later after it's over.

This too shall pass dude, every once in a while life shows up and gives us some lessons that one day we'll either understand or we'll use our experiences to help someone else that's going through the crap. The Morgan Cup will bring everything back around and you'll be with a group of people that love you dude and for those few days life will be good. The hell can catch back up later after it's over.

Awesome post Marc! Amazing....

Tapping away on my Galaxy 2 Note

Playing in my first non THP event this weekend. Golfweek Philly Am Tour event at Hopewell Valley here in NJ. Playing in the B flight from 6600 yards. As a guy that doesnt hit the ball far this will be a challenge. I am looking forward to stepping outside of my comfort zone and getting some experience and facing some pressure. I have never even heard of the course, let alone played it so it will be a good warm up for the MC.

ScoreCard.jpg

Best of luck to you Ricky. You'll do great and just remember us THPer's are behind you man.
Playing in my first non THP event this weekend. Golfweek Philly Am Tour event at Hopewell Valley here in NJ. Playing in the B flight from 6600 yards. As a guy that doesnt hit the ball far this will be a challenge. I am looking forward to stepping outside of my comfort zone and getting some experience and facing some pressure. I have never even heard of the course, let alone played it so it will be a good warm up for the MC.

Should be fun too. Bring the pain Rickus!

Kick some tail Dev!!

In another thread, JB asked me about playing to my index at the #grandaddy. I know the handicap stuff might not apply to the MC since everything is played straight up, but wanted to share this in here as well as hopefully it helps. I bolded and highlighted some of the parts that I felt were the biggest difference makers.

1) I only started tracking my unofficial handicap through OOB Golf last year when I was playing really well. The handicap did not account for many of the higher rounds that I had at the beginning of the year.

2) I took lessons too close to the event. I believe I started taking lessons in late september and ended in early november. I should have taken the lessons starting in July and finished in early september an then used the last few months to fine tune and clean up the swing. Instead, I was still working on cleaning things up leading right up to the event, and I brought a two-way miss to Carlsbad.

3) Short game. I spent a ton of time working on my full swing that I started to neglect my short game. I did get a birdie ball green so that I could work on my putting and that was helpful, but I neglected my pitching and chipping. This was a huge oversight on my part, especially since I have always been a big scrambler. I focused too much on the weaknesses of my game rather than spending time making sure my strengths were where they needed to be to carry me like they always do.

4) Overwork without proper conditioning. I hit a ton of balls leading up to the event. Then we hit a ton of balls at the ECPC. Then we played 27 holes of golf the following day. When I woke up the morning of singles, something was wrong with my left shoulder. It was stiff and weak. This really hurt me early on in singles (until GG drove around and I got 4 Advil from her). I learned after I got back from the trip that I had a slight sprain and tendinitis in my shoulder. This was caused by overuse (ie hitting a ton of balls in the last 2 weeks) without proper rest periods. I increased my golf activity without making sure I was taking care of my body. It was a big lesson learned for me and it took my until March of this year to finally get the pain completely gone from my shoulder.

5) Mental prep. As I posted before, I was simply unprepared when it came to giving up strokes in match play. I had never experienced it before and it hit me like a ton of bricks and I reacted poorly to it.

So I absolutely agree that I did not play to my index - and there were several reasons for that. I definitely had my moments where I played to or better than my index, but the consistency just wasnt there. The #grandaddy was a huge learning experience for me and I am a better golfer now because of it.

Back