I couldn't' see myself playing balls that expensive, unless they added some ridiculous amount of distance.

It also might matter whether they are USGA approved or not.

100 bucks, there had better be significant yardage gains and such. Minimal 15yds. Also, I would have to play them basically on a course as open as the New Course.

I don't even know how a company could make that happen, aren't the balls all around their max USGA limits?

Okay, I have a question for the THPers out there. Most of us love our golf equipment. We love the game and the lifestyle. We spend endless amounts of time talking about honing our gear to match our games and get the most out of it.

Let's say you stumbled across a golf ball on the course with a brand you had never heard of, or maybe you had heard about them but did not even know they made golf balls. You got to play it for a couple of holes and you saw more distance and more spin than you have seen in the past.

Lets say you took that ball to a launch monitor and again saw more distance off the tee and ridiculous amount of spin greenside. Then you found out it was a new ball coming to market and it was $100 a dozen. Could you spring for it?

Does it float?

Interesting question. Golf is an expensive hobby. Personally, I would not buy $100 golf balls, given today's current prices, even if they provide increased results. I don't buy $50 balls from retail stores, I just cant justify it when you can buy the same thing online for less.

One of my friends I golf with all the time is originally from Canada. He plays Titleist NXT Tours and is constantly saying that golf balls in Canada are way more expensive. Pro V's around $70 bucks I believe. Based on inflation, universal healthcare, and minimum wage increases, I wouldn't doubt we all will be paying for the same golf balls we buy today for around $100 bucks in the future.

I probably wouldn't, but then I never thought I would pay $40 for a dozen balls either.
Now I do that on a regular basis.

I can only imagine how awful I'd feel losing one. Unfortunately, I don't think I could do it at that price of over $8 a ball. Ouch.

No chance. even if it added distance that was a club to a club and a half. Balls are disposable, and golf is expensive enough as it is, and thus I could not see myself paying more than double or triple the price of lesser balls when I can lose or rough them up just the same.

Would I buy them on a regular basis for my normal rounds.....NO

But I would probably spring for a dozen to use in tournaments or THP events when I want my best performance.

And if they do exist, I would love to "test" said ball :D

Much like every other equipment decision I make, it would come down to cost/benefit. I would probably have to get close to scratch for it to be worth it to me because, from there, I could put in some work and be competitive at the levels I would like to compete at. That said, its unrealistic short of picking up an obscene amount of distance (such that I could hit irons off of every tee and mid-irons off of most).

It would be interesting to see the reaction if something like this came out, though. The divide between haves and have nots would be pronounced. Currently anyone with decent equipment can compete on some level. If something came out that made a 5+ shot difference and cost a lot of money I think you'd quickly see competitions crop up that banned its use in order to provide a more affordable competitive arena.

Not unless it immediately shaved 10 strokes off my game.

Ha...only if I had a hypothetical new job to go with it. Even then I don't know.

I would get a dozen or so maybe once or twice a year. The biggest hindrance to me, like many others, is that if I lose a few, that quickly adds up to the total cost of the round. I would probably use them sporadically.

For me it would have to add 30+ yards and insane amounts of spin to even think about being at 8$ a ball. Plus durability would have to be very very good.

I would probably talk myself out of them to begin with but would eventually go ahead and pay the $100. If it is that much of a gain and has everything I want in a golf ball and more it almost seems crazy not to.

Being a budget minded golfer, these would be 100% out of the question. Even the $40-$50 p/dz ball are out for me. I do enough shopping around and am patient to find things that will fit my needs. I haven't paid more than $20 in a long time, and I have been playing great balls in my mind (penta tp/lethal/tm urethane/e6/qstar/z-star etc etc..). I would much rather spend the money I would be spending on "High End" balls on tee-times or shiny new clubs and apparel.

Nope.

Wouldnt do it. I struggle paying $40ish for the balls I like the most.

If so many are afraid of losing balls and wasting money why not just play used golf balls. Why spend $50 on a dozen. You can but cheap once used balls that are round, roll and spin. Why use a $500 driver when and $100 driver will accomplish the same thing. I mean if you loose balls so often why have a bag full of the latest and greatest. (Doesn't apply to all)

The only way I would spring for them is if they had magical properties that made it so they would never find the water or the trees, and never get lost.

I would lose my mind if I kept loosing $100 golf balls.

My thought is the improved playability of the $100 golf balls would allow me to loose fewer golf balls. Well, that is what I would require before buying them anyway. If a dozen if these last as long as 2 or 3 dozen of my current gamer AND drop my score by say 5 strokes then it is well worth it.

Of course this is all hypothetical. I only wish such a golf ball existed! :)

$100 is to much for me considering I'm likely to loose at least 1 a round!

Could, yes.
Would, possibly, it would really have to be an absolute game changer but if it changed it too much I suspect the ball would be illegal.

Just going off your first post I would say yes, I would buy them to see what happened with my game, score, etc. It would be a hard pill to swallow but I'm always on the look out for something to take my game to the next level non lesson related. Not going to say it would last but I would for sure try them again.

Nope. Not worth it. They eventually need to be replaced. It would be like spend $100 on a package of amazingly nice paper plates.

if it was
1) Straighter than an E6 off the tee by a ton (Like nearly impossible to curve/slice/hook)
2) 20-30 yards longer off the tee
3) Straight and spinny of the irons
4) Checked like an old school soft cover
5) Felt awesome off the putter
6) And remarkably durable

Then yes.
I would play them while I rode my unicorn around Pine Valley playing 54 holes a day.

Last edited:
Slow work day-

So, if I can have the below. Let's say I lose 5 balls a round. With the below that probably goes down to 2-3 as I would not hook it OB or slice into the creek.
I would also make a few more putts and have short putts as I would be closer off the tee and chip better.

Another way to consider this. If this new ball was a defacto "best of 2 on each shot", would you pay $100?

if it was
1) Straighter than an E6 off the tee by a ton (Like nearly impossible to curve/slice/hook)
2) 20-30 yards longer off the tee
3) Straight and spinny of the irons
4) Checked like an old school soft cover
5) Felt awesome off the putter
6) And remarkably durable

Then yes.
I would play them while I rode my unicorn around Pine Valley playing 54 holes a day.

Back