The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got to the range tonight for about a hour and a half after the rain since my weekly league round was cancelled. Had a really good session till I got to the driver. For whatever reason I'm really struggling keeping my swing shorter and on plane with the driver. Not exactly sure what is causing it, so I'm charging up the iPad and bringing it to the range with me tomorrow. I expect to spend a good 2 hours or so there tomorrow followed by some short game work. Really confident in the irons. PW-4 iron are all on point, striking the ball well. Wedges are right there too, just need to tidy up the driver swing!!
I get the same way. Somethimg abour having a driver in hand and sweing a little white ball make me want to murder it lol. I have to force myself to make almost 50% effort in the swing

I get the same way. Somethimg abour having a driver in hand and sweing a little white ball make me want to murder it lol. I have to force myself to make almost 50% effort in the swing

I swear it's more mental than anything else. Just need to really focus the mind when I have the driver in the hands lol. Like you just need to really think about keeping it smooth and short.

My round today turned into a practice session, struggled with taking my last lesson and range session to the course today. Seemed to be getting quick with the swing and had a two way miss push right or pull/draw with the irons.

Driver was pretty solid today and I hit 3wd decently off the tee.

I swear it's more mental than anything else. Just need to really focus the mind when I have the driver in the hands lol. Like you just need to really think about keeping it smooth and short.
Hit my best drives when the swing feels effortless

I've worked my ass off the last couple days...and got WAY too hot yesterday while walking on the hottest day we have had this year. Way too close to really bad for my liking, my head is still hurting. Not bueno at all.

Anywho, one full range session working irons a bit but most focus on hybrid and 3w from the deck and the tee, also spent a full bucket on wedges from different distances and flighting it a bit too.

Played 9 with 3-balls each hole, three different tee clubs (D, 3w, hy on the 4/5's and full and partial irons on the 3's) to get different looks at the same holes and have to play them differently. Finding more and more 3w is enough for me, gives me some extremely comfortable numbers into the greens. Dan and I talking in Indy was great for me here as far as avoiding the awkward distances you aren't comfortable with (for me 60-75ish areas) and instead playing to a number I'm confident in. Results in more GIR's and more good looks.

Have had 2 short game sessions the last two days as well, 30 min each, yesterday was 15 balls just chipping with my 58 working different shots (high, low, etc) and just doing that from different angles for the time. Today I mixed in the SW and AW working the little runner, good shot for me. This stuff has really been showing up in my game on the course, its amazing from where I used to be honestly. Its especially helped me get rid of that damn decel, I'm COMFORTABLE in the short game now, thats a new world.

Then I've played 45 holes w/ one ball the last two days too. Trying to focus on simple, turn and turn, don't get long in the swing, and trust it because the shots are there.

Long couple days.
Love how you are focusing on all aspects of your game right now. I think the results of doing so can be seen in your great play as of late. Keep it up.

I've worked my ass off the last couple days...and got WAY too hot yesterday while walking on the hottest day we have had this year. Way too close to really bad for my liking, my head is still hurting. Not bueno at all.

Anywho, one full range session working irons a bit but most focus on hybrid and 3w from the deck and the tee, also spent a full bucket on wedges from different distances and flighting it a bit too.

Played 9 with 3-balls each hole, three different tee clubs (D, 3w, hy on the 4/5's and full and partial irons on the 3's) to get different looks at the same holes and have to play them differently. Finding more and more 3w is enough for me, gives me some extremely comfortable numbers into the greens. Dan and I talking in Indy was great for me here as far as avoiding the awkward distances you aren't comfortable with (for me 60-75ish areas) and instead playing to a number I'm confident in. Results in more GIR's and more good looks.

Have had 2 short game sessions the last two days as well, 30 min each, yesterday was 15 balls just chipping with my 58 working different shots (high, low, etc) and just doing that from different angles for the time. Today I mixed in the SW and AW working the little runner, good shot for me. This stuff has really been showing up in my game on the course, its amazing from where I used to be honestly. Its especially helped me get rid of that damn decel, I'm COMFORTABLE in the short game now, thats a new world.

Then I've played 45 holes w/ one ball the last two days too. Trying to focus on simple, turn and turn, don't get long in the swing, and trust it because the shots are there.

Long couple days.

You are an animal sir. Don't think for a second the amount of work you have done had gone un noticed. So freaking proud of you bro.

Long couple days.

This is a practice like no other dude. Freaking awesome. Love the work you are doing.

#jmanimal

Love how you are focusing on all aspects of your game right now. I think the results of doing so can be seen in your great play as of late. Keep it up.

You are an animal sir. Don't think for a second the amount of work you have done had gone un noticed. So freaking proud of you bro.

This is a practice like no other dude. Freaking awesome. Love the work you are doing.

#jmanimal

I heart you three.

Amanda at dinner was funny, "So, you're playing 54 with Cookie this weekend? And you have played 54 this week and its only Tuesday? You're insane."

Yes, yes I am.

I heart you three.

Amanda at dinner was funny, "So, you're playing 54 with Cookie this weekend? And you have played 54 this week and its only Tuesday? You're insane."

Yes, yes I am.

She's not wrong. Haha Perks of being a teacher.

She's not wrong. Haha Perks of being a teacher.

Oh I'm 100% insane for sure, its the only thing that can explain my love of pockets.

I heart you three.

Yes, yes I am.

Win or lose I'm glad I get to play against you at your best. I've been following your journey and I know you are going to be bringing it in MB.

Win or lose I'm glad I get to play against you at your best. I've been following your journey and I know you are going to be bringing it in MB.

Hi Jordan. I heart you too.

It'll be an absolute blast my friend. I'm looking forward to teeing it up with you and Christian for sure.

Hi Jordan. I heart you too.

This made me want to post something in this thread but I'm going to search out something more appropriate...If only you had your own thread.

Had a short game session after work today and it produced more of the positive results I saw in my last round. I'm trying to just keep it simple - a putting-style stroke but with different ball positions for a higher or lower shot. I found I was much more consistent with my distance control (especially on the higher, softer landing chips) using this method. The work continues, but I'm very happy with where my short wedge game is headed.

And lesson #10 had officially been booked for tomorrow at 5.
Working on irons for small portion then driver and hopefully time for wood/hybo from deck. Leaves short gsme/sand work for #11 and probably the same or playing lesson for #12

Had a great range session today, got my tempo back under control and was hitting my driver well

Spent 30 min pitching w 54 from assorted greenside lies w 4 balls. I have never holed so many pitch shots, prob a fluke. And, of course, it was practice.
Then, about 30 min putting lesson. Changed hand position, trying to stay connected, and it worked! Goal now is, during practice, to drain 30% of 10 footers.
Then, hit the trackman with new swing, results were pretty good. Straight to light draw, easy swings, about 20 yds shorter distance. Will continue to work on that so I can incorporate the new swing into my full swing.

And, with that, no more lessons until Aug, and no golf at all until 7/21 - Vacation!

Got to the range tonight for a little over 2 hours. Worked a lot on 100 yards and in shots. Actually hit the 100 yard flag twice in a row. Overall was pleased with the ball striking, but really excited about my lesson on Friday.

Spent about 40 minutes on the putting green with the z3c and the triangulator. Worked specifically on my alignment. Got a lot of questions about the triangulator and got to talk up SeeMore with a few guys.

Overall not a bad night.

Had a putting lesson. We worked on getting towards a more pendulum like stroke. I can definitely see the potential for more consistency.

Put in a ton of mirror work and drills at the range today. Setup had really gotten bad and was stressing my lower back. Quick video, fixed. Hate it when the dumbest things make you compensate a ton.

Great practice 18 today--did not feel like the range, so just ran a round solo and took some extra shots around greens for short game work.

sy2ajy8e.jpg

2 Large buckets!! Spent a lot of time on partial wedge shots. Feeling really comfortable!!

I hit the range late tonight while at work, best part about this is they lock up the ball machine so I get free balls after I go pick them up :D

After my play last night which was atrocious in the scoring side of things while implementing swing changes into my swing on the course.

The focus tonight was turning in the right leg while keeping the weight on the inside of the right foot.

The next was cutting the ball in half with the tee stuck in the grip, this keeps me on plane during the down swing and I hold the lag longer and release it more naturally.

Tempo was another big thing for me tonight staying slooooow and smooooth like I was in OC.

Also tried keeping my right heel down until impact, the ball flight when I do this is noticeably lower and more boring mid trajectory piercing than my normal ball flight.

Lots of work done on these drills with the 7i, driver, PW, 4i & 3wd from the deck with good success. Need more work with 3wd but I like where its at now just want to get rid of the fade.

Also spent some time with my wedges moving ball position around front mid back of stance to alter flight and length of swing as well as speed through impact area to alter height and spin.

It was a good night of practice and one I needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back