2014 Fitness & Nutrition Thread With Coach Beard

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know who this DDP person is, but I am a fan of what yoga does to my golf game.

Pro wrestling legend. Some really cool stories on his website. It's helped me with some aches and pains.

I went with one of my go to breakfasts when I am trying to eat healthy: Overnight oats.

Just take some rolled oats (not instant or anything like that), some greek yogurt, skim milk, and a little bit of cinnamon and put it all in a jar overnight.

When you wake up in the morning the oats have absorbed the liquid and you have a yummy healthy breakfast.

I eat something similar every morning during the work week. Make 5 mason jars on Sunday night:

1/2 cup oats
1/2 cup vanilla Greek yogurt
2/3 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
1/4 cup frozen blueberries
1/4 cup chopped frozen strawberries

It's soooo delicious

I went with one of my go to breakfasts when I am trying to eat healthy: Overnight oats.

Just take some rolled oats (not instant or anything like that), some greek yogurt, skim milk, and a little bit of cinnamon and put it all in a jar overnight.

When you wake up in the morning the oats have absorbed the liquid and you have a yummy healthy breakfast.

Great start to the day. Should be filling as well.

Had a great run! Ran with a friend that is faster than me, she really pushed me hard and We ran 4.15 miles in 32 min. With a personal best 5k of 23min 42sec.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a solid pace for four miles dude.

I'm thinking about moving weights and interval training to different nights. Weights three days a week, cardio two. I feel like that will keep my soreness down and limit the cortisol production. It will also spread out my calorie burn over more days. I am so flippin hungry the day after weights that I tend to eat a fair amount of food.

I wasn't as good on the food front today - got caught in back to back lunch meetings and ate a slice because I was starving - but otherwise repeated yesterday.

4th consecutive running day while on my beach vacation. Yesterday: 3 miles at (for me) faster pace than normal; then 1 mile of intervals; then last 2 miles walk/jog back.

Today was a very slow pace for 30 minutes (2.5 mi) then walk back for 3 mi.

Went back to the overnight oatmeal again for breakfast but threw some banana in there as well. It is very tasty and quite filling until lunch.

Hello 170's.

You're half the man I once knew. Ok. Maybe not half. But you know what I'm saying.

Good work brother.

Went back to the overnight oatmeal again for breakfast but threw some banana in there as well. It is very tasty and quite filling until lunch.

Nutrition is a funny thing. I usually skip breakfast and go about 14-16 hours between meals. I am only hungry after a big workout. But a protein rich meal/snack I can stay content for a while.

Nutrition is a funny thing. I usually skip breakfast and go about 14-16 hours between meals. I am only hungry after a big workout. But a protein rich meal/snack I can stay content for a while.

Not sure what your weight/exercise goals are, but I did pretty much the same thing for a very long time. I met with a nutritionist about 6 weeks ago and when I told her that I did this, she let me know that my body was pretty much in "starvation" mode since I didn't have a steady and consistent source of calories coming in. I've since gone to a fairly regular and healthy program of about 1800 calories a day, spread out between 3 meals and 2 snacks. Just doing this (and cutting out the mid-week cocktails), I am down almost 15 lbs.

Not sure what your weight/exercise goals are, but I did pretty much the same thing for a very long time. I met with a nutritionist about 6 weeks ago and when I told her that I did this, she let me know that my body was pretty much in "starvation" mode since I didn't have a steady and consistent source of calories coming in. I've since gone to a fairly regular and healthy program of about 1800 calories a day, spread out between 3 meals and 2 snacks. Just doing this (and cutting out the mid-week cocktails), I am down almost 15 lbs.

What's funny is my resting metabolism is pretty high. All things considering. I have read from a few sources that feast/famine structure is a pretty smart way to go and the body will not go into starvation mode over 16 hours. My goal is to build up muscle while losing fat. It's doable. Don't let anybody say otherwise. I am not looking to lose weight. I'm looking to lose body fat percentage.

My understanding why many small meals is usually recommended is that people when hungry during the day tend to eat junk.

I eat a lot of protein, between 140-180 grams daily. I mix in some fruit and veggie carbs. I drink black coffee. And pound water as my main drink.

What's funny is my resting metabolism is pretty high. All things considering. I have read from a few sources that feast/famine structure is a pretty smart way to go and the body will not go into starvation mode over 16 hours. My goal is to build up muscle while losing fat. It's doable. Don't let anybody say otherwise. I am not looking to lose weight. I'm looking to lose body fat percentage.

My understanding why many small meals is usually recommended is that people when hungry during the day tend to eat junk.

I eat a lot of protein, between 140-180 grams daily. I mix in some fruit and veggie carbs. I drink black coffee. And pound water as my main drink.

I've never been a snacker or fast-food/junk food guy, my problem was that I wouldn't eat until dinner, then I'd typically load on carbs and or fats since it was the quick and easy thing to do.

Thanks guys. Just got my diagnostic done, so hopefully the numbers there are better too. Going to be a stretch of tough days to stay on track here over the next three weeks, but I've prepared for that.

One good thing about hitting rock bottom is it doesn't take much to start feeling better :)

One good thing about hitting rock bottom is it doesn't take much to start feeling better :)

That's for damn sure. You can really shed some big numbers early on too.

Just finished our first DDP yoga workout and man this is exactly what I've been looking for. The stretching was phenomenal and the workout gets the heart rate up and the sweat pouring all through dynamic resistance rather than impact moves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back