Interview Questions For a Legend

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
This week's show is being recorded today and will be available tomorrow. The reason for this post is to give a quick teaser as to what is coming in this show. You will not want to miss an interview being done with one of the greatest club makers in the history of golf, John Hoeflich. His resume is outstanding and we will call this short interview a preview to what is to come in the THP the magazine spring issue coming out next week.

If you have something you want us to ask, let us know.

Last edited:
Hmmm.....I wonder if its who I think it is, but its probably not so I will listen tomorrow :)

WHOOOOOOO!

I'm excited about this one!

A simple, elementary like one here (but important to my ho'ing future!) Does he have any current projects lined up as far as irons go? What are his plans for the future right now?

Who was his biggest influence as far as club making goes? When did he realize he was a genius?

I wonder if he had to work at an Apple store for a period of time to become a "Genius" lol ... but anyway as far as club design goes, Who's next? Who's the next great designer? And what driver does he play?

• Admin
Just over an hour before we sit down and chat with John H. Any other questions?

What was his first club making job? How did he get into the business?

I think he has been quoted as saying that the driver has gone about as far as it can, and that it will be mostly cosmetic and marketing changes we will see now. Does he feel the same way about hybrids now that they are a staple of almost every maker- or is there still room for some dramatic changes?

If not, where does he see as the next trend in club making.

I think he has been quoted as saying that the driver has gone about as far as it can, and that it will be mostly cosmetic and marketing changes we will see now. Does he feel the same way about hybrids now that they are a staple of almost every maker- or is there still room for some dramatic changes?

If not, where does he see as the next trend in club making.

Do you have a link to where he says that about drivers? I know in our articles he talks about how there cannot be more done in size to drivers because of rules, but he has tinkered quite a bit recently in moving weight around. Or perhaps I have overlooked something in our interview with him.

What was his first club making job? How did he get into the business?

Agrred on that one. Was he just a tinkerer in the garage? How did his journey take him to where he is now? Where does he see the technology going next?

Agrred on that one. Was he just a tinkerer in the garage? How did his journey take him to where he is now? Where does he see the technology going next?

haha. Great minds think alike.

How many designs are trashed on average before he comes up with a "keeper"? Or, is he generally re-designing something that already exists.

Do you have a link to where he says that about drivers? I know in our articles he talks about how there cannot be more done in size to drivers because of rules, but he has tinkered quite a bit recently in moving weight around. Or perhaps I have overlooked something in our interview with him.

It was in your own interview "The driver cannot get a lot different. Certain companies can keep changing shapes for marketing ideas..." unless I am misunderstanding what he means?

If you ask one of our questions, will you say our forum name on air?

It was in your own interview "The driver cannot get a lot different. Certain companies can keep changing shapes for marketing ideas..." unless I am misunderstanding what he means?

I will clarify with him then, because I thought he was merely speaking about square drivers and shapes overall.

does he use human's or machines when testing his newest designs? would he want to apprentice someone in order to keep his visions going? if he had to play one golf course for the rest of his life which one would it be and why? is he accepting applications for testers?

Thanks guys. We took some questions from here as well as a couple of others and are getting ready to start the interview. If your question is chosen, you will be given credit on the show.

Lots of this is also covered in the THP the Magazine spring issue coming out next week.

We just finished with John and it was a blast as it always is. Look for this to be up sometime soon. He is a great guy with a resume that is just amazing.

Can't wait to hear it. This will be a little like listening to a directors commentary on a DVD. I love stuff like that.

Back