The Ultimate Golf Event Period - The 2014 Morgan Cup - #THPMC

I thought of a few questions today, Barry covered one with what hole you looking forward to.
I have a couple more:

1: what is your significant others view on the Morgan cup, and what kind of support are they lending?

2: will any good luck piece or significant/ sentimental item be accompanying you to Myrtle Beach?

And a quick thank you for welcoming not only mine, but others questions about the event. Thank you for your candid answers, it really brings the THP readership into the event on a personal level.

Thank you!
My wife has been very supportive of the extra time and money I've been putting into trying to get my golf game into something decent in time for the Cup. She'll be coming with me, as well, which I'm looking forward to, as we haven't had a weekend to ourselves in a long, long time! She'll mostly lounge by the pool during play, though.

I hadn't put much thought into it, but I'll probably bring a couple of military challenge coins for ball markers that I've had for a long time.

1: what is your significant others view on the Morgan cup, and what kind of support are they lending?
Depends on the day, somedays she is very supportive of me and tells me to go play or practice to get better for #THPMC. Other days, your crazy why do you play golf so much, don't you know were married and were suppose to spend time together. Overall I think she is really supportive and wants me to enjoy this like no other. Unfotantley she will not be making her way down to MB because she started a new job so she doesn't have any vacation days.

2: will any good luck piece or significant/ sentimental item be accompanying you to Myrtle Beach?
Other than a smile and maybe a kiss good bye from the wife probably not.

2 weeks from today it begins.

Yowzers.....time continues to fly. Hope everyone is ready. We are ALMOST there!

It's hard to believe we're this close. Open Championship week followed by MC week.

It's hard to believe we're this close. Open Championship week followed by MC week.

It is great to have the Open next week so that I don't go completely crazy with anticipation. I've been relatively calm until the last week or two. I think having the calendar flip over to July has finally made the brain realize that this is really happening because the adrenaline spikes multiple times per day now.

Hard to believe the journey is about to come to an end. It was long (too long), drawn out (too drawn out), but when push came to shove, the majority of you have been wonderful ambassadors to your sponsor, THP and your 29 other competitors. We are all too familiar with the highs and lows that this brotherhood creates and we are all too familiar with everything that it encompasses.

From the "you dont understand" posts to the "Dont tell me how I should feel posts" to the "why are you not around posts" they come in all shapes and sizes. Just remember as you approach the final weeks and start your final travel to Myrtle Beach that they are meant out of love and compassion from your other competitors and in almost every case, this year I can assure everybody there was never any ill will that I saw.

Give yourself a pat on the back for doing what you set out to you. Keep in mind that this was not a mandatory thing, you wanted it, you craved it and in the end, you got your wish. It's here. It's now. And the only thing I can tell you is it will be one heck of a weekend. I know for many it begins earlier in the week with meeting your team, practice rounds and the like and enjoying the company. For us, please remember it begins on Friday. While we are there to help, we must remind people that your early stuff that you do is mostly out of our control, but you are still a representative of THP while there, so we ask to remember that.

Thursday night will come and come Friday morning you will be exhausted already. You dont know what to expect (by design) and there will be sleepless nights thinking about what is coming. Friday will be a whirlwind. You will be required to live update THP during that time and frankly that is the only time (those 4 hours) that it will be required. Those 4 hours are work this year and we ask that you please remember that as it is part of the event. From there, we want you to soak it all in. This is a competition and we expect to see the best you have to offer and know that we will.

Each evening will be a chance to sit down and break bread with your competitors, volunteers and GolferGal and myself (and some of the sponsors). It is light hearted, fun and full of everything that this event represents. We ask that throughout the entire weekend to please be aware of the time. Try to be on time for things, whether that is the golf course, the food, the staff sponsor day or anything else. Everything we pack into 3 days runs on a very tight schedule and your ability to stay with in that is very important to us.

But alas I digress and just remind each of you that the journey is about to be completed. You will soon be a part of a special fraternity that will either be a golf weekend or a life changer (and everything in between). It has never been easy to pull this off. It has been killed off each year that we have done it only to be brought back for one reason and one reason only...To make it better and to see the aftermath. Few things move people the way this event has done in my experience. This has been the major that people dream about. That in turn moves me. I wont rehash what, where and why, but its not hard to find how I feel about this and I am not shy about it.

In a couple of weeks, all the differences will be put aside. The competition will be on the main stage and the comradarie will be there along with it as the opening act. You are all brothers coming together for a special 72 hours that nobody ever thought was possible. Call it amateur, call it just a golf weekend or anything else really, but to me, its the Gawd Damn Greatest Golf Event possible and I am just honored to be along for the ride.

While there if you get a chance, shake the hands of the volunteers. They are going to work their butts off all weekend long and by the end of the weekend, hate myself and my wife for the torture we put them through. But remember that they are doing it all for you, the competitors to relive the action and share it with the rest of the community.

Tensions will be high. Those that have not been before, will not quite understand what is going on completely, so make sure you take a second and help them through it. They are your brothers in this event. 5 teams, 40 golfers, one giant competition, but in the end, you are all brothers putting on one heck of a show. Just remember that GolferGal and myself are there to help. Have an issue, come talk to us about it. If you have an equipment problem? Come talk to us about it. While the answer may not be perfect, we are always going to do the best in our ability to give you the perfect weekend.

It's here. The time has come. Your journey is complete! It is now time to sit back and relax and take it all in. The Ultimate Golf Event Period is here and we are so excited for each and every one of you.

Well said JB. Looking forward to getting up there and assisting with anything you and Morgan require.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some important points. The weekend goes by so fast so making sure you try to soak it in is very important. This event has been a life changer for me and I am looking forward to see it do the same for others.

Well said JB. I feared this post would come. It has been an amazing journey and I'm blessed to have taken it. The sleepless nights are already there, the exhaustion has been felt, now it's time to show all of THP our great fullness. Thank you to the veterans who have been there, the tour reps answering our everyday questions, and the THP community as a whole.

Represent yourselves, and the work you put in well, Be an ambassador for your sponsor and your team, Have fun and soak every moment, every detail in.
Give us a fantastic show fellas!

Thank you for writing that JB, it's such a big event and it's so much bigger than anything I'll ever see again. To the volunteers, thank you for your time, effort, and all the hard work you'll be putting in, you'll be absolutely awesome!! I am truly excited.

Last edited:
Things that certainly stand out to me.
72 hours flies by, so take it all in and be on time for things.
Whatever happened on the forum leading up to it, don't let it deter from the experience.
Volunteers - I can't emphasize how much hard work they put in to this weekend. For those that don't see it, you will. They are without a doubt the stars of the show IMO. Not sure if it needs to be said or not, but please thank them and be courteous to them on the course. Outside of that, get ready boys, it won't be long now.

I feel like I see the light at the end of the tunnel but due to traffic we have moved 1 mile in the last hour.....
Sleepless night have somewhat begun and this coming weekend will be my last full weekend of prep. I will accept where my game is and just focus on the things I can control these last couple of weeks. This journey has been more than I could ever dream about or hope for. I'm so excited for what happens in Myrtle in a few weeks and cannot wait to be with all of you. Thanks again to everyone who has helped along this road and helped grow me as a golfer and person during this ride.

Proud Member of #TeamParadise

Well said JB, Im ready to take it all in

Speechless. Thank you JB, GG & THP.

It's been a LONG journey and a tough journey. Everyone looks at the event and how awesome it is. I hear all the time. "I would kill to be in the MC" And its true but there is ALOT of work that goes into it from the competitor to JB and GG to the volunteers to the sponsors. I am so appreciative to have been given this opportunity and I hope that I have made the best of the experience along the way. I am honored to be sponsored by Callaway and to be on a team with 7 other guys that I consider my friends and brothers. This has been a life changing event for me and it hasnt even gotten her yet. To say I am excited would be an understatement.

Reading JB's post with the final round from last year on the TV, this is sinking in. As I watch the coverage for the nth time, it is hard to believe that in 2 weeks I will be the one in front of the camera. Never in my wildest dreams did I think of an event like the MC, let alone being one of the participants, but somehow I've been blessed by THP. My mind is swirling about all the ways this event has changed things for me, but I'll keep those to myself until the final putt drops so I can have the full experience to reflect on.

I will say, having gone 95% of the way through this journey, I can understand the emotions on the coverage so much better, and I won't be surprised if the dust picks up for me in Myrtle.

It has been a long journey. .. but it feels like just yesterday I was selected! How is that possible? Still fresh in my mind is the exhilaration of watching the announcement video. Still fresh in my mind are thoughts that this event is so far away. Still fresh is feelings that it would never get here. And BAM its here slapping me in the face, renewing once again all the excitement, bringing on the jitters 2 weeka early! Seems surreal. Now its upon us and all the work and effort put in is behind us. All that is left to do is have fun and enjoy THE ULTIMATE WEEKEND!

#Boom! The time is here and it all comes down to the final little details and lists for packing and such. What a wonderful experience this has been so far. Thanks to the volunteers, sponsors, Caledonia, True Blue, JB, GG and THP. Blast off (for me) in 11 Days. Cannot wait to see every single soul!

JM

Always a great post when JB ventures into this thread. It's been a great ride everyone, we are down to two weeks, and I am ready for the journey to come to a head and am looking forward to meeting and hanging out with everyone.

I'll actually be in Hawaii during the MC this year. I'll do my best to try to keep up and look forward to seeing all the coverage when I return.

Play well boys, and cherish every moment. It's a weekend you will NEVER forget.

I'll actually be in Hawaii during the MC this year. I'll do my best to try to keep up and look forward to seeing all the coverage when I return.

Play well boys, and cherish every moment. It's a weekend you will NEVER forget.

Have fun! You can watch first thing when you wake up!

I've actually been trying very, very hard not to think about how close the actual weekend is at hand. I'm still working hard in preparation trying to make up for a little lost time. It's not that I feel my game is in a bad place, or not very good right now. It is. But, I will never know whether it would have been even better without the lost time due to surgeries and injuries over the past seven months.

I think JB's post today changed all of that. Two weeks from tomorrow morning, we'll roll out of bed in Myrtle Beach after a fitful night of no sleep and the whirlwind will begin. It's time that I embrace that, and start to think about mental preparation. Not for the golf, I've been doing that, but for the emotional ride we're about to jump onto. I'm not sure we newbs can really prepare for that. But, I think it's time that I start enjoying thinking more about that than all the work preparing my game. Not that I'll stop working entirely. I'm just no longer going to obsess about it, and enjoy the next two weeks and, of course, the most Ultimate Golf Event I'll ever experience.

I keep trying to come up with something profound to say, but nothing is coming to mind. All I know right now is that while I don't want this journey to end, I am so excited that it is almost time to travel down and get these magical few days underway. I am excited about every moment of the trip down there, from pulling in on Wednesday and meeting so many great guys (volunteers and players), to sharing a villa with much of Team Hackers, to spending Thursday at the course and just hanging out, to Friday and all that awaits us between Staff Sponsor Day, playing some holes, and dinner where we are finding out singles matches, to Saturday where we play terrific courses with terrific opponents to try to put the team in the running for a memorable Sunday, to that Sunday where we play the last few matches, crown a champion, and celebrate as one large group. It has been an incredible ride with every one of you, and I can't wait to finish it off in style.

Playing in the Golfweek Amateur Tour event at Hopewell Valley today. I am excited. A little nervous. I have worked very hard for the past 8 months and for me, this is to really see where I am at. Playing in the B flight which is 8-13hcp from 6600 yards. I have never played this course before so it will definitely be a challenge but one that hopefully I can tackle head on. I'm not going just to play, I am going there to win. See you guys on the other side.

Man reading these past few days of posts had given me the chills! ( it could be lack of sleep, but whatevs) Truly excited for all of you participating and I look forward to following along!

Back