Branding/Reputation - How much does it affect what you play?

Which Tree?

Thirsty
Reaction score
Handicap
thinking
I was playing w/ a buddy the other day when he found a lower end Titleist ball and was excited because it was a Titleist, meaning it was a good ball. In this instance it was a ball I would have left behind.

We got into a conversation about the ball and the brand and ultimately he felt that Titleist only makes excellent/premium balls.

In comparison, I used to argue w/ a different buddy because he would tease me for playing the Top Flite Gamer V2s a couple years back. I tried to get him to hit one, just once, but he refused saying he would "never play a Rock Flite"

These may be 2 extreme examples of branding/reputation on opposite ends of the spectrum, but I was curious ~ how much does brand/reputation play into your decision to try/play/buy something?

How much golf "snobbery" are you guilty of? Do golf equipment snobs bother you?

I'll say this- THP has truly opened my eyes to a ton of companies that I would never have gamed prior to my joining. And I can't thank THP enough for it.

I'll say this- THP has truly opened my eyes to a ton of companies that I would never have gamed prior to my joining. And I can't thank THP enough for it.

This. There are brands in my bag or recently in my bag that wouldn't be there without unbiased review and a ton of honest discussion about them.

Exactly what Bearded said. THP has really introduced me to many other brands I wasn't aware of or may have shunned before. Great to have an open mind, tons of good stuff out there

I find myself trying to rock gear from companies that "get it." Whether that is supporting THP or providing excellent customer service or engaging with their consumers--I want to see them trying to do the right thing.

I am still the same way though. I am tickled pink if I find a ProV,

Doesn't mean that I think it is the best ball on the market, or the best ball for me, but it is something I carried over from childhood, I always was happy to find a Titleist. Nowadays I am more happy if I find my ball (like the actual one I am looking for) lol.

There are so many brands out there that fly under the radar and put out awesome products. While it isn't necessarily bad to buy on reputation/branding, it doesn't mean it is the best for you.

For me, at least when it comes to equipment, I play what gives me the best results regardless of the name on the bottom. When I was fitted years ago, the name Cleveland never once crossed my mind, yet I've been playing their irons for over 5 years now and they fit my swing.

Before THP I only knew about Titelist, TM, Callaway, Cleveland, Wilson, TrueTemper, and Dunlop. I thought Bridgestone was strictly a tire company and I never heard of Adams and Cobra. And all the putter and shaft brands as well, who knew there were so many.
THP helped me find my gear through forum reviews and currently play all of the brands I never knew about. Though now I am partially bias towards Cobra.

before I came upon finding THP, the brands I gravitated towards were Mizuno (because i used their baseball equipment primarily!), Titleist, and Ping. Ironically 3 brands that don't have as big a presence here as others. Now after 1 1/2 years here, i can honestly say i'm open to any brand, and play what's best for me. Cobra is a great example, as the majority of my bag is filled with them. But in all honesty, i'm not a fan or the brand, i.e. flashy colors, flat brims, etc. But in the latest gear trials i've taken, the gear just works for me, and i went with it, where in the past i might have limited myself to those first 3 brands i mentioned. And bridgestone balls and seemore putters? Only aware of them because of the community here, and i'm extremely grateful for it.

I don't think branding/reputation plays into my decisions as much as honest user reviews do.

I bought my Di11s based on the epic review thread here. I don't know if I would have considered them in the same vein as Callaway, TM, Titleist, etc. before reading how many golfers tried them and loved them. And after playing them, I agree.

To me, that's the best part of a place like THP - golfers of all skill levels discussing their own views on gear. I bought dozens of the Gamer V2s based on their price, and online reviews. I like them, and I did the same with the SuperSofts (although I didn't like them after playing them). I'm a lot less concerned with the logo and name than I am with the value for my own game.

I think THP has opened my eyes to a slew of equipment I would have never given consideration too, including balls. Now even though I enjoy other brands I still am partial to the better end of the spectrum and gear more towards players style clubs still. I think the biggest eye opener for me was the outstand offerings from Cobra, I love the Bio Cell + line and I believe in it.

I try to be objective but I still find that there are brands I gravitate toward and others I avoid. Some because of performance perception and some for other personal reasons.

For example, I will probably never use a Nike product. I know they make good stuff but I have a bias against the company.

When I am in the store I find myself drooling over the beautiful forged chrome blades even though I really should not put them in my bag.

Sometimes I am just stubborn or worse.

I don't think branding/reputation plays into my decisions as much as honest user reviews do.

I agree with you completely. I research the crap out of everything I buy, especially golf stuff.

For me, brand is not paramount. However, it will sway me a little bit.

For example - I have been in the market for new wedges and liked both a model from TM and Cleveland. I have an affinity for Cleveland (happy w/ everything I have ever had from them) which pushed me in their direction.

I agree. THP lead me to Bridgestone and you can't really ask for a better ball although I'm currently not playing the brand, but I have plenty of them and will game them again at anytime. Callaway balls have become VERY good as well.

It definitely plays into me trying something. Be that demoing in a store or on the range. Doesn't mean that I don't try something. But if Odyssey comes out with a new insert, I'm going I pay attention. If Ping says they have rethought the Anser, I'm paying attention. If Adams comes out with a hybrid, I'm paying attention.

For me to say otherwise, is a lie. I definitely pay attention to brand reputation.

I agree with you completely. I research the crap out of everything I buy, especially golf stuff.

For me, brand is not paramount. However, it will sway me a little bit.

For example - I have been in the market for new wedges and liked both a model from TM and Cleveland. I have an affinity for Cleveland (happy w/ everything I have ever had from them) which pushed me in their direction.

Very valid point about being swayed by a brand.

After the recent Callaway customer service experience I just had with them, going forward I am going to make every effort to look at and buy their gear first. I think a lot of other people are in the same sort of position. I wouldn't pick them if I knew there was something suited better for me by a long shot, but if it's close on performance and price, I know which way I'm going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was a Callaway homer everything in my bag was Callaway prior to THP, but after reading the great reviews on the Cleveland 588 Altitudes and the Smart Sole S & C I decided to give them a try. Now the only things that are Callaway are the driver, putter and ball.

I was a Cobra homer before Cobra was cool. :guitar:

Well, performance trumps all. It's made easy when most of it comes from a singular source. That's my stance :)

Like many have said before me THP, this community, has changed my view ... I buy nothing golf related, without search here first ...

I would have NEVER played a ball labeled "super soft" before ... Aren't those for ladies??? :act-up:

I am am also a very proud owner of a Bio Cell ... Before I never even stopped at the Cobra display in Golf Smith ...

With that said, I still tend stick "big box" brands ... So yes brands sort of do matter in that regard ...

Doesn't. I'll soon be playing irons no one has heard of.

My entire bag was once TaylorMade. Not that there was anything wrong with that. TM had the greatest market presence/availability here.... they still do.

Times change, my bag setup changed, and stores here carry a much wider variety of gear.

I have certain brands I gravitate towards but find myself being more & more open minded since joining here. There are a couple of clubs in my bag I never would have considered without honest reviews & talking with THPers about what they're playing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Doesn't. I'll soon be playing irons no one has heard of.

Nothing wrong with that. I play with some very good players that are playing either older clubs or names I've never of heard of and they still play very well. I'm also giving thoughts to building a complete set of clubs for a second bag. I have not decided what brand they will be, but it will happen. Tons of money can be saved and I enjoy the work.

Back