Keep it Classy Sabbatini

Gotta say I was a little surprised to read that comment. Would have expected a little more from a Professional Golfer.

That guy is just a straight up dink. I've never liked him.

Sabbatini is a known jerk, BUT, lets pause for a moment. What was the context? Was he laughing or joking when he said this or was he saying it through snarled teeth? Hard to say just from reading a quote.

Replace Sabatini with say David Feherty name at the end of the quote and do you take it in a different light?

"After watching my four amateur golfers play yesterday I really thought I had no chance to play decently this week, because I had to try to erase those swings from my mind." - David Feherty.

Is there video anywhere to show the actual context?

This is a VERY fair point, and considering our current conversation location, I think we all know text can be skewed something terrible! That said, as Sabs has been painted a bit of a jerk in numerous situations, is it all that surprising that people don't give him the benefit of the doubt?? Of course if you read Feherty at the end you take it differently -- and if Sabs said that about me, even laughing/joking, I'd still probably take it a bit personally.

Some guys are naturally funny and can get away with saying things like this (Feherty and Gary Player come to mind). Sabbatini of all people should know he's not one if them. So for that reason, and not the comment, I'll go with grade A doosh.

I am 100% against these comments and as much of D-Bag those were comments are, at least he voiced his opinion out loud and put his name on him. We always ask why pros choose to remain nameless when being quoted for reports or articles. At Rory is willing to put this name out there, not that it means much.

I am 100% against these comments and as much of D-Bag those were comments are, at least he voiced his opinion out loud and put his name on him. We always ask why pros choose to remain nameless when being quoted for reports or articles. At Rory is willing to put this name out there, not that it means much.

Yes, he voiced his opinion, but that was extremely disrespectful to the people who paid good money to play in that Pro-Am with him. Certainly wasn't a necessary comment either.

Yes, he voiced his opinion, but that was extremely disrespectful to the people who paid good money to play in that Pro-Am with him. Certainly wasn't a necessary comment either.

That is correct. Like I said while I completely disagree with his comments, I am at least glad that he allowed his name to be used with those comments instead of being "an unnamed player".

At least comments like that keep me feeling good when i root for him to fail

Not surprised he'd say something like that. :/

Jeez, talk about some humility. Grade A dbag for sure. No matter how talented you may be, or may have been, that doesn't give you permission to be a d!@&.

Sabatini is a d-bag, no doubt about it. However, i'd bet this comment was made in jest. Nobody is giving him the benefit of the doubt because of his history. You've got to admit this is one hell of a funny line. I bet the people laughing the hardest are the people he played the event with too. Prop golfers are allowed to have fun and joke too.

rory being rory

Is it funny? Yes. Is it being a professional? No.

What a tool.

Is it funny? Yes. Is it being a professional? No.

What a tool.

I would argue its not funny at all. Considering the source.

Sabbatini is a known jerk, BUT, lets pause for a moment. What was the context? Was he laughing or joking when he said this or was he saying it through snarled teeth? Hard to say just from reading a quote.

Replace Sabatini with say David Feherty name at the end of the quote and do you take it in a different light?

"After watching my four amateur golfers play yesterday I really thought I had no chance to play decently this week, because I had to try to erase those swings from my mind." - David Feherty.

Is there video anywhere to show the actual context?

Excellent post dude, too quickly we jump to conclusions, for all we know he had a really fun time with his amateur group and this was taken as a joke by them and they're laughing about it now lol. I haven't paid too much attention to him to see how he's acted like a moron in the past but judging from the responses about him he must have done some pretty crappy things.

I hope he was joking.

Joking or not, he's Sabbaweenie for a reason.

Joking or not, he's Sabbaweenie for a reason.

This made me chuckle haha

I'm not shocked by the comments but it is disappointing to hear

Someone should remind him that it is amateurs that make it possible for him to enjoy his life on the golf tour. Such an ungrateful individual - clueless.

What a real piece of....

Work. Not like your there week in week out Rory take it easy best player to ever hold the club.

I'm sure we've all had moments where we have or wanted to say something to this effect about something or someone. However, being in a public position, playing a game you obviously know the others aren't as good as you are...you would THINK he can hold his tongue to a degree. Guess not. My Mom always said..."If you can't say something nice...." you all know the rest.

Saba-weeny is not on my preferred play list.

I watched him play a tournament here and he missed the cut. So much for his bashing. Wonder what he said to himself after his round Friday

My guess is that it was out of context. While he may not be popular among some of the tour players, he typically does very well with amateurs and fans. I think he got a raw deal on his comments about TW. And, he got a raw deal with the "walk off" when he was paired with Crane. The media loves to rake people through the coals. My guess is that this is another example of that. He does not have his public image polished to a high sheen, like Mickelson does. But, at least he is not full of BS, like FIGJAM and a few others, who put on the Oscar award winning acts when cameras and fans are nearby.

My guess is that it was out of context. While he may not be popular among some of the tour players, he typically does very well with amateurs and fans. I think he got a raw deal on his comments about TW. And, he got a raw deal with the "walk off" when he was paired with Crane. The media loves to rake people through the coals. My guess is that this is another example of that. He does not have his public image polished to a high sheen, like Mickelson does. But, at least he is not full of BS, like FIGJAM and a few others, who put on the Oscar award winning acts when cameras and fans are nearby.

Incredibly interesting because in our work (and for obvious reasons I wont get too detailed) we have seen the exact opposite in both of your examples on numerous occasions and by numerous, I can count at least 2 dozen of someone being a nice guy and labeled as BS and over a dozen of him being a weenie to the fans.

Back