Mizuno Releasing New Everything, and all is quiet

adamw238

Reaction score
Handicap
In one of the Mizuno threads I brought up that Mizuno was releasing all new everything this fall. Two new iron sets today, at least 2 or 3 more to come before the end of fall (JPX 825, Pros and MP 64 all due for updates), a new driver with sliding weights, hybrid and fairway to likely follow. I also believe that they're considering releasing their ball in North America.

JB then mentioned that Mizuno is doing all of this with next none of the backlash that is associated with a TMaG or Callaway release. And that really got me to thinking. By August September, Mizuno will have released almost 8 irons (JPX EZ, EZ Forged, H4, MP54, MP15, H5, MP65?) in a 2 year period. It seems that a TMaG release causes worldwide calamity and forces the owner of the interwebs to turn on the back-up generators to keep it from completely crashing.

Why do you think that is? My theory is marketing. Mizuno doesn't explode onto your TV with promises of fuller, thicker hair, plus another 15 yards to each shot. All of which I could use, btw. But Miznuno just kind of quietly sneaks up on you and goes about their business. It's like the loudest guy at a party isn't always the most liked because he's loud, not because of what he's saying.

I'd love to hear the community's thoughts on this.

How many times can you reissue the same designs with a new number and call it innovation?

it's pretty simple i think. The amount of people on this forum who use Mizuno gear is dwarfed by other oem's like TMaG. For whatever reason some people get upset when their gear is no longer the latest and greatest. Ergo..that voice of TMaG users is greater on this forum.

edit: they're getting crap now, aren't they? Even if it is the passive aggressive type :alien:

Mizuno always releases new everything. Yet, they don't take the crap that others do even with the numbers of releases they pump out. Its the grain flow forged double standard.

Plus, most look no different. They tried with the EZ's but from a design standpoint something was off with those, I am adamant about that.

The driver has my interest this go around, and as always I will try out the irons, but they just feel very rinse and repeat to me.

I can state theories, but that's about all, for the difference. One, Mizuno tends to release new things on a bit more of a schedule. So there's less of a sense that they're perpetually releasing new stuff, even though they're releasing as much (or more) new gear taken over a given period of time (ie TM releases, say, 10 new products this year, one every 6 weeks, compared to releasing 10 products this week and then going dormant for the rest of the year).

The marketing difference I'll agree. But I do wonder if Mizuno's market share is growing or shrinking comparatively. Also, I do wonder what percentage of Mizuno's profits come from golf overall, knowing they're also a baseball, soccer, etc. company. They may not live & die by their golf profits the way Callaway does, which no doubt influences how much they put into advertising their product.

it's pretty simple i think. The amount of people on this forum who use Mizuno gear is dwarfed by other oem's like TMaG. For whatever reason some people get upset when their gear is no longer the latest and greatest. Ergo..that voice of TMaG users is greater on this forum.

edit: they're getting crap now, aren't they? Even if it is the passive aggressive type :alien:

That's not a THP thing, that is a golf thing. More people use the other gear compared to Mizuno by a large margin.

That's not a THP thing, that is a golf thing. More people use the other gear compared to Mizuno by a large margin.

oh i know...but we're comparing the grief they get on this forum, so just stating like for like. I think there's just alot more apathy for Mizuno here, good or bad. We also won't see a positive thread for any of these irons like you might for the Speedblades or Apex's, to play devil's advocate.

How many times can you reissue the same designs with a new number and call it innovation?

Said the Rocketbladez to the Speedblades...lol

I agree with you to an extent. At a glance Mizuno irons seem to be carbon copies of their predecessors. But they're not all the same. MP59 was different than the 58. I think when you get into their blades is where you start to think, "It's a blade, what does this do that the other didn't?"

It doesn't bother me how many models or times any OEM releases new clubs; it gives us all new stuff to discuss. As for Mizuno, they sure do have a lot of different irons, but the more the merrier I guess. It also doesn't bother me if the new releases aren't dramatically different looks wise. Most are nice and classic looking and that works for me. Yet I don't mind the different looks of irons by other OEM's either. Except the Bio Cell. That plastic bulgy webby thing on the badge freaks me out. Great performing irons though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Put me in the boat of not really caring how many they release. They make a great iron. The more choices they have available, the more likely they have an iron that will fit for everyone.

Said the Rocketbladez to the Speedblades...lol

I agree with you to an extent. At a glance Mizuno irons seem to be carbon copies of their predecessors. But they're not all the same. MP59 was different than the 58. I think when you get into their blades is where you start to think, "It's a blade, what does this do that the other didn't?"

TaylorMade has 5 active iron lines and gets crap constantly about release cycles and products introduced to market.

Mizuno has 10 active iron lines and no one says a word.

Usually anything that is in the spotlight most takes the most criticism as well. Look at Lebron and the amount of people that dislike him or many other top tier athletes because they are covered so much. When you have more exposure no matter what it is you will face more critics. Also the Critics are usually always a bit louder.

I for one love releases. As long as the release is quality all it is doing is giving golfers more choices. If you are buying clubs for resale I got news for you it is not a good investment and you will lose more times than not no reason to hate on new releases at all no matter who the company is.

i kinda like when companies offer lots of options mizuno sure takes it to an extreme but i bet you can find an iron you like to look at and will fit your game pretty good as well. i think thats why i like what callaway has done with 3 sets now give you some different options to pick from.

And just an FYI, I love Mizuno equipment and played the MP-64 and loved them. There is just a double standard when it comes to how companies like TaylorMade and Callaway are treated in the golf world vs companies like Mizuno and Titleist who can do no wrong.

Speaking of, everyone loves Titleist but they have been rehashing the same iron lines since the 708 AP1, AP2, CB and MB models as well. I am hopeful for the 915 models of woods which appear to have some new tech.

People don't b*tch about Mizuno like some other brands but the differences get discussed over and over and over again.

Mizuno Releasing New Everything, and all is quiet

TaylorMade has 5 active iron lines and gets crap constantly about release cycles and products introduced to market.

Mizuno has 10 active iron lines and no one says a word.

That was my point exactly.

And I too live Mizuno. I had the MP59s twice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mizuno always releases new everything. Yet, they don't take the crap that others do even with the numbers of releases they pump out. Its the grain flow forged double standard.

Plus, most look no different. They tried with the EZ's but from a design standpoint something was off with those, I am adamant about that.

The driver has my interest this go around, and as always I will try out the irons, but they just feel very rinse and repeat to me.
100% agree with the looks comment, they are very hard to distinguish between models in my opinion.

Mizuno had fallen kinda flat in the driver department the last couple years, but the fast track technology looks interesting, and maybe this is the year that changes.

In regards to the releases, you won't see me complaining, and it's not worth opening up that can of worms, no one will agree because it's the internet.

exactly! it's the same with every brand. People will buy something brand new not knowing the company added maybe a sliver of something different than what they did with last years model and make millions. It's sad really but people will buy into anything with clubs sometimes. I always buy used but hey....people got money to waste so happy spending. There is only so much that can be done to a golf club. Taylormade could paste feathers on a driver and sell the chit out of it.

Has anyone heard if the new releases will be available in LH?

As has been said Mizuno really does not issue NEW ideas as much as re-issued products that does pretty much the same thing. I know they are a large Japanese company. Their running shoe, volleyball, baseball business is pretty big. I assume worldwide Golf is too.In Europe they offer balls and putters which I have not seen in the states. Marketing and tour usage is not impressive. As Taylor Made and Callaway has proved tour use does matter.I think the onslaught that Bridgestone is about to bring to the US market is because they understand we like to see folks playing what we play and we like new product on a regular basis.I do not mean to generalize but the numbers do not lie.

Iron releases don't move the needle nearly as much as driver releases. Mizuno is practically nonexistant in the driver market, and even though they are known for their irons, they don't make a big deal out of their new releases. I may be alone on this one, but I think that when companies are criticized for "too many" releases in a short period of time, it's much more related to driver releases than any other club.

Niche product. Aka no one cares. Lot cooler to hate on the big boys.

MP59 was different than the 58.
Of course they were different. One had "MP58" stamped on them, the other had "MP59". :wink:

I know a total of one person who games Mizuno gear, and it never really ever caught my eye.

I think there woods are going to be real contenders this year based on the patents they applied for.

Put me in the boat of not really caring how many they release. They make a great iron. The more choices they have available, the more likely they have an iron that will fit for everyone.

Totally agree with this, I don't care who releases what and how many times they do it. I ragged on TM once in the past I think for so many driver releases but now I game one of them sometimes and love it. There's something for everyone. Some of the responses here are enlightening lol.

Back