The Ultimate Golf Event Period - The 2014 Morgan Cup - #THPMC

I miss this place - the hangover is definitely real.

But, like Dan said in either this or another thread, all you guys are a few clicks away - it's not the same, but nice that we know where to find everyone. It's going to be great to read through the recap thread and watch the coverage. I'm trying to think of it as the reason these days are rough is because it's such a special event, so that's a trade I make any day.

I will never forget this walk...

6apemuhu.jpg

Wow, several things going on in here. Dan, that's is a freaking cool picture you've got put up, nice swing by you (as always), and nice picture by OH (which seems to be another "as always" based on what he's posted. Cace, you freaking rocked that camera and those pictures are professional quality!

As for the MC hangover, I told my wife that I'm doing as many THP events as we can get in the budget next year. She told me that she expected this would be the case, but I just miss you all so much that I want to get right back in. Sadly, it's going to be awhile and unless I get into #TheDos or the replacement to the MC, I'm sure it will be awesome but not quite as awesome as what I just experienced.

As for the golfing part of the hangover, as of right now I don't have that. I'm playing in league tonight and I'm as excited as ever. I played some of the best golf of my life this weekend, and I don't want to let the momentum of all of my work just stop. I might get out to my local course and say "This sucks, it's not TB or Caledonia, I'm done", but for now I just want to see what I'm capable of if I keep working on my game.

This event was something incredibly special. I know it was a ton of work to pull off, but thank you to everyone who made that happen one last time so many of us could experience it for the first time. I'll talk about what this means to me more in my recap, but for now I can't say thank you enough and have it truly convey how grateful I am to be a part of this family.

So for the past week I have gotten up at 530am EST and now I am back at home here on the West Coast and I cannot sleep. 430am here and I am wide awake. You listen to the Vets about how you will feel after this event but it is way worse than I could have expected. I would love to be sitting in my Villa right now with my team Drinking a cup of coffee with them getting ready for the day instead of doing this by myself. #INeedAHug

I know what you mean, Trev! A virtual hug is sent your way, big guy! I just keep reliving some of the moments of the weekend and I feel better.

Wow, several things going on in here. Dan, that's is a freaking cool picture you've got put up, nice swing by you (as always), and nice picture by OH (which seems to be another "as always" based on what he's posted. Cace, you freaking rocked that camera and those pictures are professional quality!

As for the MC hangover, I told my wife that I'm doing as many THP events as we can get in the budget next year. She told me that she expected this would be the case, but I just miss you all so much that I want to get right back in. Sadly, it's going to be awhile and unless I get into #TheDos or the replacement to the MC, I'm sure it will be awesome but not quite as awesome as what I just experienced.

As for the golfing part of the hangover, as of right now I don't have that. I'm playing in league tonight and I'm as excited as ever. I played some of the best golf of my life this weekend, and I don't want to let the momentum of all of my work just stop. I might get out to my local course and say "This sucks, it's not TB or Caledonia, I'm done", but for now I just want to see what I'm capable of if I keep working on my game.

This event was something incredibly special. I know it was a ton of work to pull off, but thank you to everyone who made that happen one last time so many of us could experience it for the first time. I'll talk about what this means to me more in my recap, but for now I can't say thank you enough and have it truly convey how grateful I am to be a part of this family.
Looking forward to the read man, sounds like you've had a hell of a journey and would do it again today in a heartbeat!

So awesome following along, great pics you got there OH! Thanks for sharing.

After reading the live threads and following along, seeing all of your pics I added a round at Caledonia in Sept. I NEED to play this course now.

After reading the live threads and following along, seeing all of your pics I added a round at Caledonia in Sept. I NEED to play this course now.

True Blue and Caledonia were simply amazing courses. I hope this isn't the last time I see them in my lifetime.

Seriously good move. True Blue was a very nice course, but Caledonia blows it out of the water in my opinion simply from the views alone. To me, it is everything you'd expect from a plantation golf course, and was just beautiful.

What else is there really to say about being at work after what we all just went through. The journey and build up was tough at times but when I sit here and think back on it, I wouldnt change anything and would do it again in a heartbeat..except maybe win this time.. haha

What else is there really to say about being at work after what we all just went through. The journey and build up was tough at times but when I sit here and think back on it, I wouldnt change anything and would do it again in a heartbeat..except maybe win this time.. haha

Pretty rotten feeling right now :\

Good times though. Best weekend ever.

For someone who spent as much time as I did Sunday morning either crying or choking more back, I have been in this incredibly good mood since Sunday on that porch. This event was perfect in every way, from the people, to the courses, to the people at the courses, to the schedule, to the shared meals...everything short of winning the whole thing which I never allowed to be more than a stretch goal. I can literally not think of a SINGLE thing I would change, which just leaves me incredibly content. Having several hours by myself in the car to just reflect and let everything sink in before getting back to my family yesterday and normal life today was just perfect. I did miss having lunch with a table of 10+ great people.

It won't be today, but I'll probably even hit balls sometime this week...I still want to play and practice and try to continue the stretch of mostly good play I experienced this weekend. This is such a 180 from where I was my first MC where I didn't pick up a club for 3 months.

So for the past week I have gotten up at 530am EST and now I am back at home here on the West Coast and I cannot sleep. 430am here and I am wide awake. You listen to the Vets about how you will feel after this event but it is way worse than I could have expected. I would love to be sitting in my Villa right now with my team Drinking a cup of coffee with them getting ready for the day instead of doing this by myself. #INeedAHug

Virtual hug brother

Any other vets notice the service at Caledonia was much improved over last year?

Still a ways to go to catch True Blue, but was improved from what I saw

Any other vets notice the service at Caledonia was much improved over last year?

Very impressive imo. I really felt like we were treated like kings the whole weekend.

Alex, you will truly love Caledonia when you see it first hand and play it. I go back every year and play a lot of courses in Myrtle. But, I always include Caledonia for at least one round. True Blue is a great course too. Holy cow! I just realized I've won two THP events on True Blue. Maybe it's my favorite course over there now.

I know what you mean, Trev! A virtual hug is sent your way, big guy! I just keep reliving some of the moments of the weekend and I feel better.

I will share this other comment though...after spending so much time immersed in everything since Wednesday, where you would see THP guys everywhere, as I got home and noticed people in other cars, my brain would temporarily process them as THPers. Took me a minute last night to come to the realization that there was no reason Ken would be in Cleveland, TN with me.

I'm still trying to digest everything that happened over the last weekend and still can't fully put it all together. Whenever I think I've got everything sorted out I remember 10 more things that happened that made the experience even more amazing. The list of people to thank, all of the AMAZING people I got to meet for the first time, the comradery, the ups and downs of the day one matches, the emotion of the singles matches. It's really way too much.

I'm not the most emotional person when it comes to things, but as I type this I find myself getting choked up just thinking about all of it. Ok....I'm lying, I'm sobbing like a child with a skinned knee right now. Thank God I'm at home and not at work. Mentally and physically I'm drained right now. 6-7 months ago I had no idea what this event was about, nor did I understand anything that was going on. As I was playing this weekend, it really seemed like just the most amazing golf weekend with 40 of my best friends. But today when I woke up in my own bed I realized it was so much more than that. I now get what the veterans were talking about and why people were as impassioned as they about this event.

Just so many great stories came out of this weekend. Some of them caught on film, others that weren't. Thank you Josh and Morgan for making this happen. As I told Canadan, Amart and Neb on Sunday, this is was the most amazing thing I've ever been a part of that didn't involve family or some sort of life milestone. I'd love to do a full recap, but there's still way too much left to recollect on. I will say this, this message board became a lot more than just a place to spend a couple hours a day after this.

On my way to work and I'm not quite mentally ready. I miss you all!

I had heard that it had been an issue in past years, but most all the folks at Caledonia were incredible, from the bag drop to the starters. The waitresses in the restaurant seemed a bit overwhelmed, but the food was terrific.

I've got a few more days to process things before I get to a proper keyboard and lay it all out, but right now I'm still such a big pile of emotions. I'm really content, but eager for a new challenge. Not just for golf, but life in general. This event was such a shot in the arm for me, something I badly needed. It's not a stretch to say this changed my life. Eventually I'll get into the particulars of the matches and gush about my wonderful teammate and captain Donne, but that's for another day. For right now I'm just trying to ride the feelings of what a wonderful event I was lucky enough to take part in.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5

a5ydevu7.jpg

Wait. This isn't the range at True Blue.

Ugh.

Hope everyone made it back safely. Can't wait to see the recap thread.

I'm still trying to digest everything that happened over the last weekend and still can't fully put it all together. Whenever I think I've got everything sorted out I remember 10 more things that happened that made the experience even more amazing. The list of people to thank, all of the AMAZING people I got to meet for the first time, the comradery, the ups and downs of the day one matches, the emotion of the singles matches. It's really way too much.

I'm not the most emotional person when it comes to things, but as I type this I find myself getting choked up just thinking about all of it. Ok....I'm lying, I'm sobbing like a child with a skinned knee right now. Thank God I'm at home and not at work. Mentally and physically I'm drained right now. 6-7 months ago I had no idea what this event was about, nor did I understand anything that was going on. As I was playing this weekend, it really seemed like just the most amazing golf weekend with 40 of my best friends. But today when I woke up in my own bed I realized it was so much more than that. I now get what the veterans were talking about and why people were as impassioned as they about this event.

Just so many great stories came out of this weekend. Some of them caught on film, others that weren't. Thank you Josh and Morgan for making this happen. As I told Canadan, Amart and Neb on Sunday, this is was the most amazing thing I've ever been a part of that didn't involve family or some sort of life milestone. I'd love to do a full recap, but there's still way too much left to recollect on. I will say this, this message board became a lot more than just a place to spend a couple hours a day after this.

Love you brother.

Don't try to process everything this morning. There will be a recap thread, and after giving everything a chance to soak in for a few days, it will start making more coherent sense.

I've got a few more days to process things before I get to a proper keyboard and lay it all out, but right now I'm still such a big pile of emotions. I'm really content, but eager for a new challenge. Not just for golf, but life in general. This event was such a shot in the arm for me, something I badly needed. It's not a stretch to say this changed my life. Eventually I'll get into the particulars of the matches and gush about my wonderful teammate and captain Donne, but that's for another day. For right now I'm just trying to ride the feelings of what a wonderful event I was lucky enough to take part in.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5

Similar to what I said to Adam above, and really applies to everyone. We have been on a really long journey here...take some time to get back into normal life before feeling like you have to really digest what just occurred. There is a good reason they don't post a recap thread for this one the next morning.

It was better than last year for sure but still has some work to catch True Blue.

I'm glad to be back to some normal activity. I am at peace, more than I thought if be. Maybe it's the amount of work I have and other things going on but I have the memories and pics to keep me fixed. I do miss my team, my brothers, my family. But seeing my two babies really puts things into perspective.

We are part of a fraternity few will ever know. I hold onto that with both hands. I am so proud to have been a part of history, something special and unique. For that I am grateful beyond words. The MC will always be special to me because of all I have gained from it. Friends, knowledge, laughs, family and countless memories.

Freddie Kong dropping all sorts of wisdom up in here. Great stuff.

I am so glad you took as much as you did out of this event Adam. Chatting with you on Sunday after the event made me so happy, listening to you say a lot of the things that I felt after the event last year, and it just reminded me how much this event means to each individual who is fortunate enough to participate in it.

I know it's silly to continue to dream about another, but I'll do it anyways. I'm never going to downplay what other amazing things THP will create because each one seems to be more and more incredible, but the Morgan Cup will always be the Ultimate Amateur Golf Event for me. Period.

For those struggling with the MC hangover: everyone deals with it in a different way. Some people struggle with the motivation to do anything golf-related at all. Others want to get right back out onto the course to try to relive the memories or continue with their good play from the weekend. But whatever you do, do it in your own way. It's just like anything in life that you concentrate on for months, there's a natural feeling of "what do I do now?" when it's all over. Couple that with the fact that you don't live close to the majority of people that you met this past weekend, and it's tough. But no one can take last weekend away from you, and knowing that you were able to play on such a stage will help your game in the future.

Back